Other Stage Headliners

airwaves

3 minutes ago, gfa said:

Oh sorry you meant their Other appearance in 2019

Sure, but as we've been talking about with Foos in the headliner thread, I really don't think the 2 festival gap counts for much when it's been 4 years. No Glasto 2012 or 2018 either so those were only technically 3 fest gaps

Just now, BenG92 said:

Oh sorry you meant their Other appearance in 2019

Sure, but as we've been talking about with Foos in the headliner thread, I really don't think the 2 festival gap counts for much when it's been 4 years. No Glasto 2012 or 2018 either so those were only technically 3 fest gaps

2019 to 2023 is a 1 festival gap, its just too little i think. there's a million other options, many have never played before

their album isn't looking to be about before glasto either

20 minutes ago, FrancisH said:

Can't see Fred in any other position than West Holts headliner to be honest. That's still a very big stage to go in at for your first stab, and yeah he's got some hype but there's no way he is bigger than Bicep were at that stage when they headlined.

He's far more hyped up right now than Bicep have ever been. 12m view in 5 months on that boiler room set, only Glue has (far) more than that on Bicep's channel and that was 5 years back. 12m views on Marea in a year and generally bigger on Spotify. Much higher Google trend in the UK than Bicep's peak. Could easily do either stage right now tbh. 

17 minutes ago, gfa said:

2019 to 2023 is a 1 festival gap, its just too little i think. there's a million other options, many have never played before

I know, but again that's 4 human years difference, it's not really the same as a 1 festival gap across 2 human years difference. Twice as long for them to feel "fresh" again when people have been stuck inside with no alternative for much of that. Can't see it being an issue at all IMO

Edited by BenG92

6 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

I know, but again that's 4 human years difference, it's not really the same as a 1 festival gap across 2 human years difference. Twice as long for them to feel "fresh" again when people have been stuck inside with no alternative for much of that. Can't see it being an issue at all IMO

Chems are my favourite act out there but its still a short time and theres so many other options + album likely won't be out

its not like they tick off any diversity boxes either

i'd absolutely love to see them at glasto but give it till 2024

4 minutes ago, gfa said:

Chems are my favourite act out there but its still a short time and theres so many other options + album likely won't be out

its not like they tick off any diversity boxes either

i'd absolutely love to see them at glasto but give it till 2024

They're clearly very amenable to playing, and have a long history with the festival and will no doubt be back - but absolutely if they can get anyone else that'll do a reasonable job of headlining then they won't be in a rush to have them as high up as Other headliner this year - unless the festival's in a financial hole and Chems do it for free?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

I don't think it's ever been mentioned before but he Fred Again was mentored by his neighbour Brian Eno!

His wikipedia page is frightening - dripping with posh family, posh schools and responsible for at least some of Ed Sheeran & George Ezra's output.  

56 minutes ago, p.pete said:

They're clearly very amenable to playing, and have a long history with the festival and will no doubt be back - but absolutely if they can get anyone else that'll do a reasonable job of headlining then they won't be in a rush to have them as high up as Other headliner this year - unless the festival's in a financial hole and Chems do it for free?

Bang on

Think they are fine enough for £££

If they really were tight they'd get fatboy on other over chems surely

1 hour ago, gfa said:

This was 8 years ago though. The festival have gone through a whole major diversity, equality, equals etc since then.

Given what is expected to be the pyramid acts, I'd be very surprised especially on the Saturday night if it wasn't 1, even two female/rap type acts back to back to counter GNR and Capaldi. Similarly to Macca and Noel. Could be like a Doja and Rosalia. I don't see Becky Hill unless 3rd down as there would be a lot of crossover with Capaldi. 

1 hour ago, gfa said:

It's technically two but still too short.

27 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

This was 8 years ago though. The festival have gone through a whole major diversity, equality, equals etc since then.

I don't think it will happen - there is tons of non-dance acts about but that was fairly recently still, don't think its completely impossible to in the future

1 hour ago, p.pete said:

His wikipedia page is frightening - dripping with posh family, posh schools and responsible for at least some of Ed Sheeran & George Ezra's output.  

The posh family bits have suspiciously been removed from his wiki in the past couple of hours. Suspect being upper class is not quite in line with the media image his management want to sell... 

29 minutes ago, MrRadioactiveCake said:

The posh family bits have suspiciously been removed from his wiki in the past couple of hours. Suspect being upper class is not quite in line with the media image his management want to sell... 

Wow - good spot!

Earlier (today) his father's role was the legal representative of the king (my interpretation of the title at least), both mummy and daddy having positions in the realm and grand papa being lord o'neill, or something like that.  

<edit> also now says 'Fred John Philip Gibson was born...'  pretty sure the word Fred wasn't in that sentence (and possibly subsequent ones below) earlier.  

He is the son of [[King's Counsel]] barrister Charles Anthony Warneford Gibson and Mary Ann Frances Morgan, members of the [[British peerage]]. He is the great-grandson of [[Shane O'Neill, 3rd Baron O'Neill]] and British socialite [[Ann Fleming]] (who later went on to marry [[James Bond]] creator [[Ian Fleming]]).

Edited by p.pete
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, MrRadioactiveCake said:

Actually - looks, coincidentally, like there's been lots of changes to his wiki page over the last 2/3 days.  I liked the idea that my post here prompted some music industry person who's lurking on here to steam into action, but alas I don't think I've much to do with anything.  I'd not really bothered to look at wiki's historic edits before...

Not on there any more: '. Fred is recently engaged to critically acclaimed artist B Dizzler.'

I was wrong about the 'Fred' bit not being included is his name above, but was previously changed from 'Frederick' John Philip Gibson, a bit too posh.

Yesterday it said 'great grandson of aristocrat and financier'.  Also pointed out by someone above, and removed yesteday '. He is the godson of British musician [[Brian Eno]].'  Those bits removed before later fully removing any mention to either.

I don't know why they changed this bit - sounded much more real - though I don't condone the word fitty: '...is a British nepo baby and member of the aristocracy. He is engaged to critically acclaimed fitty Bethany Denning, and godson of [[Brian Eno]].'

Previously just: 'Fred is a nepo baby and has never not been rich.'  Maybe true, but not quite up to wikipedia standards!

Think all that shit is hilarious personally. Wealthy privately educated aristo types have been leapfrogged to the top of industries far and wide for decades, including the creative ones like music and film, and fully deserve any mud slung at them because of it, regardless of how ~banging~ their tunes or live sets are. Fred Again's Wikipedia as ground zero for a class war is fine by me.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Think all that shit is hilarious personally. Wealthy privately educated aristo types have been leapfrogged to the top of industries far and wide for decades, including the creative ones like music and film, and fully deserve any mud slung at them because of it, regardless of how ~banging~ their tunes or live sets are. Fred Again's Wikipedia as ground zero for a class war is fine by me.

Never heard him, but was starting to get interested, although I've the feeling he may be a bit "lightweight!"

Not sure I'll bother now, although that may change is there's nothing else on that grabs me.

3 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

100%

Nothing wrong with being privately educated and having privilege but you shouldn't hide from it.

Just now, scatteredscreens said:

100%

Nothing wrong with being privately educated and having privilege but you shouldn't hide from it.

As expected, this is an accepted marketing tactic.  I've a pal in PR who says behind closed doors they call it "dole-washing" to play down privilege and broaden appeal.

Back OT, I was convinced that with the Pyramid looking like a procession of ageing white blokes this year that there's be some serious variety on the Other to balance it up, but seems Lizzo is slated for a Pyramid sub-slot.  If Prodigy are in fact playing they'd be nailed on Other headliners and other contenders all seem to be more white blokes!  Appreciate you can only book who's available, but that's gonna look poor after a few years of pushing hard on the equality and representation agenda.

6 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

As expected, this is an accepted marketing tactic.  I've a pal in PR who says behind closed doors they call it "dole-washing" to play down privilege and broaden appeal.

Back OT, I was convinced that with the Pyramid looking like a procession of ageing white blokes this year that there's be some serious variety on the Other to balance it up, but seems Lizzo is slated for a Pyramid sub-slot.  If Prodigy are in fact playing they'd be nailed on Other headliners and other contenders all seem to be more white blokes!  Appreciate you can only book who's available, but that's gonna look poor after a few years of pushing hard on the equality and representation agenda.

Google a picture of the prodigy

7 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

Google a picture of the prodigy

"...and other contenders all seem to be more white blokes!"

Eats, shoots and leaves all over again....

4 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

"...and other contenders all seem to be more white blokes!"

Eats, shoots and leaves all over again....

I think Lizzo and Sam Smith are other contenders. There is also talk of Halsey doing it

I've got to admit I don't know what 'Eats, shoots and leaves all over again....' means. Does it mean the same as 'he shoots, he scores!?' This is a genuine question