Banned!

tarw

11 minutes ago, Neil said:

I've not seen anything sensible here. Just some peeps  seeing an opportunity to pile in.

It was at this point I realised, coming back to this thread is like pissing in the wind. 

Good luck with it all, Neil.

25 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Do you know if it’s possible to set that up so mods could temporarily delete stuff … and then neil have overall control  as to wether to reinstate the posts / threads should he wish 

With invision I'm not 100% sure, as I haven't personally used it. But with other systems definitely...

But even if it isn't built in, how you could do it is to only give mods permission to 'move' things. Then you set up an invisible private sub forum called 'staff room' or 'Moderation' or something similar. Then only give mods permission to see and use this private section. Any threads that mods feel need looking at are then temporarily moved there for Neil to have the final say on. 

Edited by Alvoram

4 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

With invision I'm not 100% sure, as I haven't personally used it. But with other systems definitely...

But even if it isn't built in, how you could do it is to only give mods permission to 'move' things. Then you set up an invisible private sub forum called 'staff room' or 'Moderation' or something similar. Then only give mods permission to see and use this private section. Any threads that mods feel need looking at are then temporarily moved there for Neil to have the final say on. 

Scratch that just looked into it, and yes, moderators can only 'soft delete' items. They are then moved to a recycle bin of sorts giving Neil 30 days to restore them. 

Edited to add: Have also just realised Invision Community is just the new name for IPB (Invision Power Board) which I've used many times, and is very feature rich. 

Edited by Alvoram
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

t the vast majority of people in here are on your side in this

maybe but not as much as they imagine, there's been little condemnation of the trolls, ans a lot of blaming me for acting against the trolls.

I think that what @Neil is saying - sorry if I’m putting words in your mouth bud- is that moderators would not help. Anyone who wants to become a moderator should not be allowed to be one. A bit like Hitchhiker’s Guide. 

They will shape the forum in the way they would like it. Deleting some things faster than others or more rigorously than others. Thi is Neil’s baby and he has shaped it how he wants it and I think has done a bloody good job at it. 

People who are giving well meaning advice - just stop. If Neil wants advice he’ll ask for it, this badgering will just entrench positions. 

If I’m talking crap please correct this 

14 minutes ago, Neil said:

maybe but not as much as they imagine, there's been little condemnation of the trolls, ans a lot of blaming me for acting against the trolls.

Everyone full condemns people that are actually trolling and appreciate the nonsense threads getting shut down asap. However you seem to call normal well-meaning users trolls all the time and delete threads willy nilly when one person reports something. You're making mistakes, if you can't see that then I'm sorry.

12 minutes ago, Neil said:

We don't really see the trolls as you do a good job of deleting their stuff, or them. That's the problem with running a forum: you do a good enough job, no-one ever sees a problem. And that's why people are getting frustrated in getting caught up in "it" - they didn't even know there was an "it" to start with. It's why some of those people come in with little empathy for you, but it doesn't then help to go in with no empathy for them either. You have to be the one to break the circle.

Or not, and just put up with odd thread like this and losing one or two people. It's your gaff.

4 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Everyone full condemns people that are actually trolling 

few make the effort to condemn them tho, they're much happier to go at me without understanding the situation.

delete threads willy nilly when one person reports something.

i delete threads that are requested for deletion.

You're making mistakes, if you can't see that then I'm sorry.

its not a mistake to take actions to block the trolls;i'm making mistakes cos i've had a brain injury and my brain isn't as sharp as it was. i should learn to cope with it over time.

Edited by Neil

9 minutes ago, Neil said:

i delete threads that are requested for deletion.

This seems a bizarre system. So if I report this thread for deletion you will delete it?

10 minutes ago, Neil said:

its not a mistake to take actions to block the trolls;i'm making mistakes cos i've had a brain injury and my brain isn't as sharp as it was. i should learn to cope with it over time.

I've got every sympathy with your ongoing recovery but I've been on here for many years before that and similar incidents to this have happened before.

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

This seems a bizarre system. So if I report this thread for deletion you will delete it?

thats not exactly the system, its the system when it goes wrong, mostly when i'm swammped with stuff to do, and don't engage brain.

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

I've got every sympathy with your ongoing recovery but I've been on here for many years before that and similar incidents to this have happened before.

there's people here quite happily fucking with the life of a disabled person, and they'd like you to believe they're nice people, i might name and shame a few. if this goes on.

9 minutes ago, gfa said:

So why not do it then? Sounds like a good idea to me - trolls in fear is something we want surely

It's not always possible to link the trolling back to someone depends how careless they've been. 

@Neil I'm really sorry this situation is happening and that it's such a difficult one to resolve. 

From a skim through this thread what I'm picking up is that while there are lots of helpful suggestions no one understands the situation quite like you which makes it difficult to follow them. Fair enough.

Can I suggest a trial of a mod team? Give 30 days to @Crazyfool01 to help you for example. If it doesnt work or makes your life difficult at least you can demonstrate to other people here that it's not a good solution, just like you've already said, and that will hopefully be that. If it happens to work then that's a great thing for everyone especially you.

I've been lurking here for 5 years or so before getting stuck in recently. I have this year's glasto ticket and previous volunteering opportunities as a result of this place and people. So regardless of everything else that's been said by people here I appreciate and thank you for what you've created. I'm sorry that it's clearly sometime very difficult for you. Hope this all came across ok.

53 minutes ago, Scrump said:

@Neil I'm really sorry this situation is happening and that it's such a difficult one to resolve. 

From a skim through this thread what I'm picking up is that while there are lots of helpful suggestions no one understands the situation quite like you which makes it difficult to follow them. Fair enough.

Can I suggest a trial of a mod team? Give 30 days to @Crazyfool01 to help you for example. If it doesnt work or makes your life difficult at least you can demonstrate to other people here that it's not a good solution, just like you've already said, and that will hopefully be that. If it happens to work then that's a great thing for everyone especially you.

I've been lurking here for 5 years or so before getting stuck in recently. I have this year's glasto ticket and previous volunteering opportunities as a result of this place and people. So regardless of everything else that's been said by people here I appreciate and thank you for what you've created. I'm sorry that it's clearly sometime very difficult for you. Hope this all came across ok.

thanks scrumb, am happy to make crazyfool a mod to see how it goes, just no one should expect miracles.

My two pence. This forum is bigger than individuals. This thread should be closed now and all I ultimately care about is seeing the kindness and shared community knowledge of festivals that I saw on the Glasto buying thread yesterday. The rest is just playground nonsense. Anything that causes Neil grief should be immediately removed.