Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

2 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

That was literally my first thought...

But she's not the first artist, touted as a headliner, that I've thought this about... Which begs the question, what separates the legends slot from the headliner slot?

Why was Macca not a legend? all you heard in the run up was people saying 'I have to be there, he's a legend!' Why is Elton being touted as a headliner and not a legend? He's certainly not at his peak anymore, in terms of live performances. 

I just don't understand what defines and separates the 2 different slots... Or is the legend slot literally just a way to add another headliner in without having an extra night? 

Macca and Elton John sell out stadiums. Diana Ross does not

Legend slot is a way to convince an older act who often thinks they are bigger than they actually are a slot at the fest by using a bigger font

4 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

I just don't understand what defines and separates the 2 different slots... Or is the legend slot literally just a way to add another headliner in without having an extra night? 

Legends to me is, legendary in name, not necessarily in numbers.

The Beatles are I think the single most successful act in history? Elton John and Madonna aren't far behind. Absolutely colossal and wouldn't touch the Kylie Minogue slot with a barge pole. 

3 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

But she's not the first artist, touted as a headliner, that I've thought this about... Which begs the question, what separates the legends slot from the headliner slot?

Why was Macca not a legend? all you heard in the run up was people saying 'I have to be there, he's a legend!' Why is Elton being touted as a headliner and not a legend? He's certainly not at his peak anymore, in terms of live performances. 

No idea, but IMO both Macca and EJ should be in the legends slot, would allow them to do a shorter set and therefore no "fillers", which I gather was the case with Macca this year (I didn't see him). I guess re Macca ME is a big fan and wanted him to have a higher slot, same maybe the case with EJ.

I prefer to see more contemporary acts get the higher slots, Stormzy and Billie both being ideal bookings.

Why was Macca not a legend? all you heard in the run up was people saying 'I have to be there, he's a legend!' Why is Elton being touted as a headliner and not a legend? He's certainly not at his peak anymore, in term of live performances. 

I think you wouldn't look at Barry Gibb, Diana Ross or Lionel Ritchie and dispute that any of them are legends, but at the same time if you put them at the very top of the bill you'd probably have an empty field and over-crowding on all the other stages.  They're a bit of a laugh to go along to, have a singalong, say I was there - maybe dress up or have some sort of flashmob dance organised. 

The Who, Neil Young, Stevie Wonder etc - also legends but big enough for people to think that's where they want to be on a Saturday evening.

Sunday afternoon, sure there are other things going on at Glastonbury, but 10pm there are a lot more draws, and if the pyramid doesn't have a solid headliner on (legend or current) then there's going to be wet legs all over the site.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, gfa said:

Macca and Elton John sell out stadiums. Diana Ross does not

Legend slot is a way to convince an older act who often thinks they are bigger than they actually are a slot at the fest by using a bigger font

8 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Legends to me is, legendary in name, not necessarily in numbers.

The Beatles are I think the single most successful act in history? Elton John and Madonna aren't far behind. Absolutely colossal and wouldn't touch the Kylie Minogue slot with a barge pole. 

So the legend slot isn't really for true legends then? Right.... Got ya. 🙂 

6 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

No idea, but IMO both Macca and EJ should be in the legends slot, would allow them to do a shorter set and therefore no "fillers", which I gather was the case with Macca this year (I didn't see him). I guess re Macca ME is a big fan and wanted him to have a higher slot, same maybe the case with EJ.

I prefer to see more contemporary acts get the higher slots, Stormzy and Billie both being ideal bookings.

Me too, and I'm not fussy about genre either. I'd want to see Legends like Macca and Elton, but I'd rather see them in the legends slot. That being said, I'm 100% going to watch them, so I guess what @p.pete says makes some sense. 

4 minutes ago, p.pete said:

I think you wouldn't look at Barry Gibb, Diana Ross or Lionel Ritchie and dispute that any of them are legends, but at the same time if you put them at the very top of the bill you'd probably have an empty field and over-crowding on all the other stages.  They're a bit of a laugh to go along to, have a singalong, say I was there - maybe dress up or have some sort of flashmob dance organised. 

The Who, Neil Young, Stevie Wonder etc - also legends but big enough for people to think that's where they want to be on a Saturday evening.

Sunday afternoon, sure there are other things going on at Glastonbury, but 10pm there are a lot more draws, and if the pyramid doesn't have a solid headliner on (legend or current) then there's going to be wet legs all over the site.

Except maybe this part. It's a contradiction. Surely if they're true legends, then there's no fear of the fields being empty, no matter when they play? 

Those specific artists you mentioned are of course legends, and I'd go to see almost any of them no matter when they played.

Honestly, I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I'm starting to wonder if the legends slot is to make sure more people are up early Sunday, meaning they're in bed earlier Sunday night, and have fooked off on time Monday... 🙈😂

3 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Me too, and I'm not fussy about genre either. I'd want to see Legends like Macca and Elton, but I'd rather see them in the legends slot. That being said, I'm 100% going to watch them, so I guess what @p.pete says makes some sense. 

Except maybe this part. It's a contradiction. Surely if they're true legends, then there's no fear of the fields being empty, no matter when they play? 

Those specific artists you mentioned are of course legends, and I'd go to see almost any of them no matter when they played.

Honestly, I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I'm starting to wonder if the legends slot is to make sure more people are up early Sunday, meaning they're in bed earlier Sunday night, and have fooked off on time Monday... 🙈😂

Up Early Sunday ? Is it not early afternoon 

15 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Totally can be, Metallica are (obviously) the most legendary metal band of all time and they were top of the pyramid - but Metallica are still selling out stadiums in 2022, Diana Ross ain't. I think current popularity is what it boils down to. Even then probably not so black and white. 

Edited by BenG92

2 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Totally can be, Metallica are (obviously) the most legendary metal band of all time and they were top of the pyramid - but Metallia are still selling out stadiums in 2022, Diana Ross ain't. I think current popularity is what it boils down to. Even then probably not so black and white. 

Legends = nostalgia more than star power imo

8 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Up Early Sunday ? Is it not early afternoon 

Haha it was a joke... But tbf, if I roll in at 7/8am I aint getting up for that legends slot!

1 minute ago, BenG92 said:

Totally can be, Metallica are (obviously) the most legendary metal band of all time and they were top of the pyramid - but Metallia are still selling out stadiums in 2022, Diana Ross ain't. I think current popularity is what it boils down to. 

Oh I know it is for legends, but I was just poking fun at how they define a legend, it's like there's tiers of legends now... If somebody has been popular in the past, is still around, but no longer popular enough to fill stadiums, they're a tier 2 legend. If all of the same applies, but they can still fill stadiums they're a top tier legend. 

And who says the term legend is over used these days? 🤷‍♂️

Oh I know it is for legends, but I was just poking fun at how they define a legend, it's like there's tiers of legends now... If somebody has been popular in the past, is still around, but no longer popular enough to fill stadiums, they're a tier 2 legend. If all of the same applies, but they can still fill stadiums they're a top tier legend. 

And who says the term legend is over used these days? 🤷‍♂️

Weird one innit. Aphex Twin is an undisputed electronic music legend but the idea of a field full of people listening to "syro u473t8+e" (piezoluminescence mix) in a sunny field at 4pm is uhhh.... Actually, make that happen. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, BenG92 said:

Weird one innit. Aphex Twin is an undisputed electronic music legend but the idea of a field full of people listening to "syro u473t8+e" (piezoluminescence mix) in a sunny field at 4pm is uhhh.... Actually, make that happen. 

Aphex Twin would probably attract a massive crowd to be fair... 😂

I guess I'll just never understand, why there's a slot called 'Legends' and yet it seems each year's true biggest performing legend never occupies it... I'm just too simple, and cannot compute. 🤷‍♂️🙈😂

1 hour ago, Olshansky said:

I am no Madonna fan (I actually despise her) but I don't think the low fee would dissuade her.  More than anything she wants clout and to be relevant. I think she'd happily take less of a fee if it meant an opportunity to headline the most adored festival in the world 

I only think the fee might be an issue due to that supposed £1.3 million she was paid for her incredibly brief (and shit) appearance at Eurovision a couple of years back, but, I agree she could possibly be swayed by the whole prestige around it. She did a non headlining performance at Coachella a while back so she’s definitely willing to dabble at the festival thing at least, and it being a greatest hits tour would make it the perfect opportunity to finally headline one.

Not at all expecting her to be there and reckon she’ll probably end up getting ruled out when her dates are announced, but I’ve no doubt the Eavi would go above and beyond to work their magic on getting her, so who knows. 

7 minutes ago, OllieMadd said:

Saw someone asking about Madonna live quality.

Saw her at a theatre in Brooklyn in 2019 and she blew us away. Incredible.

That was me. Groovy. I wouldn't pay her presumably astronomical ticket price personally but Glasto would be an amazing opportunity. 

Not that I think she's actually likely, but hey.

33 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

If you are able to stay out till those hours without substances I’ll happily call you a legend 

Have you not noticed my 4 / 5 am posts on here... 🙈

I don't finish work until midnight or later some nights, and who goes straight from work to bed... 🤷‍♂️ You just get into a routine... 

That being said, Glasto this year was bliss, we were in bed early hours, (between 1 and 3) and I was up for 7 fresh as a daisy, it was a nice change from the norm, and probably contributed to the festival not actually draining me!!!

1 hour ago, BenG92 said:

I would fucking love this. Imagine dropping an hour before and losing your shit to that. The folding chair brigade would crap their pants.

22 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Until they gave up recently, this is why the festival always called it the Sunday Teatime slot rather than the Legends Slot.

They should switch back.

Agreed.

6 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Out of upvotes but this is a carbon copy of my thoughts.  She's always sought fame/infamy above all else and can't possibly need the cash.  So why not?

Pretty sure Emily has said in the past that they’ve asked the question and she’s too expensive.

She conned Eurovision out of £1.5m for two songs and about ten minutes of utterly dire performance recently.