2024 Headliners

12 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

As I said a few days ago

Feel like I’m at a familiar point in the cycle here. As we get close to poster time I have a long list of acts who are touring and could play, that probably couldn’t realistically fit on the bill in appropriate positions. Then when the poster drops I’m disappointed they’re not all there. 

Then I dig into the names and discover new stuff, and zero in on the big names on the bill I do want to see. Get more and more excited as it gets closer.

Then the full line up comes out and loads of them clash.

Then I switch to checking the weather forecast every 7 minutes.

Then I have an amazing time despite forgetting acts I wanted to see.

Its the circle of life.”

At the bold bit currently, though normally I’m more disappointed than this TBH.

A fair summary. 

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

TBH O-Rod not stepping in to save the day a black mark on her good name.

The more I think on this the more odd it seems.  Clearly will be match fit from the GUTS tour, seemingly a GSH.  Can only think other unannounced dates/festival appearances will be forthcoming.

37 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

The more I think on this the more odd it seems.  Clearly will be match fit from the GUTS tour, seemingly a GSH.  Can only think other unannounced dates/festival appearances will be forthcoming.

She seems to be pacing herself touring wise. She turned down much bigger venues in 2022 than she could have played and I guess has decided to focus on Arenas this year. She is only young, it’s actually quite sensible not to rush things. I’d be amazed if she isn’t headlining next year, probably with a few other festival gigs.

3 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

I haven’t listened to the last one but I thought Everyday Life was good, quite uncommercial for them. They’ll bin a lot of the chaff for the Pyramid though I’m sure.

I enjoyed the 2 performances from Jordan they put out to promote it.  The most recent album did nothing for me.

I was surprised when I looked at the sales of their records, neither of their last 2 albums went platinum, it really does feel like the majority of their success these days is about the quality of their live performances.

55 minutes ago, Spindles said:

I enjoyed the 2 performances from Jordan they put out to promote it.  The most recent album did nothing for me.

I was surprised when I looked at the sales of their records, neither of their last 2 albums went platinum, it really does feel like the majority of their success these days is about the quality of their live performances.

Didn’t they talk about stopping doing albums altogether and just touring? They should do that. Just put out any good tracks they come up with. Their ticket sales are ridiculous.

4 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I wonder if she comes down to the farm just to build the connection a bit more (they've done it with future headliners before)

Plus a chance she comes out with Avril Lavigne maybe? O-Rod sang Complicated on her last tour and Lavigne joined her for a duet of it one night 

Got to assume either Rodrigo wasn't getting the money she wanted (unlikely, given what would have been left from Madonna) or the slot she wanted (unlikely, given she's an obvious fit to do top-spot in our eyes) or she simply wasn't fussed this time / cannot make it for whatever reason.

3 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Got to assume either Rodrigo wasn't getting the money she wanted (unlikely, given what would have been left from Madonna) or the slot she wanted (unlikely, given she's an obvious fit to do top-spot in our eyes) or she simply wasn't fussed this time / cannot make it for whatever reason.

Or she knows she's doing festivals next summer and will have a better suited show for that in 12 months

6 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Could there be a situation where they booked her for a sub slot and then re-assessed and thought she might be better now as a headliner? So pushed it. 

It's not exactly the same but when 2021 was cancelled obviously they had Dua booked and must have had a conversation about her re-booking at some point as opposed to subbing in 22 or 23

Given O-Rod stole a lot of the headlines last time she played and her bit with Lily Allen gave her arguably the biggest media coverage of the weekend in both the UK and US, she'll be well aware of how useful a publicity tool the farm is.

16 hours ago, Ben7amin_ said:

Could there be a situation where they booked her for a sub slot and then re-assessed and thought she might be better now as a headliner? So pushed it. 

It's not exactly the same but when 2021 was cancelled obviously they had Dua booked and must have had a conversation about her re-booking at some point as opposed to subbing in 22 or 23

Not implausible. Would make some fair sense.

On 3/15/2024 at 9:08 AM, NorthernSoul52 said:

or she doesnt want to do the biggest performence of her life as a last minute decision.  i reckon shes a possible secret set / guest with avril. almost certainly going as a punter too. she spent alot of time dancing in the field after her last set.

25 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

What on Earth is she on about? A lot of acts do their normal thing with maybe a tweak or two. McCartney did literally his normal set with a couple of guests-Jon Bon Jovi according to the author 🤷‍♂️ 

33 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

or she doesnt want to do the biggest performence of her life as a last minute decision.  i reckon shes a possible secret set / guest with avril. almost certainly going as a punter too. she spent alot of time dancing in the field after her last set.

I reckon she’ll be there to scope it out for next year and do a guest slot

9 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

What on Earth is she on about? A lot of acts do their normal thing with maybe a tweak or two. McCartney did literally his normal set with a couple of guests-Jon Bon Jovi according to the author 🤷‍♂️ 

Just like most the stuff in that rag it's meaningless clickbait shite. 

I ran the heading/ subheading into an AI and it wrote basically the same thing: 

Dua Lipa, Coldplay, and SZA are primed to headline Glastonbury's iconic Pyramid Stage this year. But beneath the excitement, a question lingers: has Glastonbury lost its magic for today's pop stars?  Is headlining the festival just another tick on their world tour checklists, or is the fire of creating a unique Glastonbury experience still burning?

Coldplay's record-breaking fifth Pyramid Stage stint is a case in point. While undeniably successful, their ubiquity breeds a sense of predictability.  Their live shows, while polished, lack the edge and innovation Glastonbury thrives on.  One can't help but wonder if their selection is a safe bet for high ratings,  rather than a daring artistic choice.

Similar concerns surround Dua Lipa. A talented pop star, Lipa struggles to translate her studio sheen into a captivating live act.  Glastonbury demands an electrifying performance, a once-in-a-lifetime spectacle  - will she deliver, or simply offer a greatest hits set seen across the globe?

SZA stands as a beacon of hope. An artist known for her enigmatic persona and powerful vocals, she has the potential to craft a truly special Glastonbury moment.  However, the pressure is immense.  Will she embrace the festival's spirit of risk-taking, or succumb to the pressure of replicating a familiar set?

Glastonbury's magic lies in the unexpected.  It's about legendary acts like Stormzy igniting the crowd, iconic collaborations like Sir Paul McCartney jamming with rock royalty, or Beyonce's show-stopping tribute to Prince.  When headliners treat it as just another gig, the festival loses a bit of its soul.

Here's to hoping this year's crop of headliners rise to the occasion.  Let's see them embrace the spirit of Glastonbury, craft unforgettable sets, and remind us why that Pyramid Stage performance remains a coveted prize, not just another tour stop.

Edited by Alex DeLarge

1 hour ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Just like most the stuff in that rag it's meaningless clickbait shite. 

I ran the heading/ subheading into an AI and it wrote basically the same thing: 

Dua Lipa, Coldplay, and SZA are primed to headline Glastonbury's iconic Pyramid Stage this year. But beneath the excitement, a question lingers: has Glastonbury lost its magic for today's pop stars?  Is headlining the festival just another tick on their world tour checklists, or is the fire of creating a unique Glastonbury experience still burning?

Coldplay's record-breaking fifth Pyramid Stage stint is a case in point. While undeniably successful, their ubiquity breeds a sense of predictability.  Their live shows, while polished, lack the edge and innovation Glastonbury thrives on.  One can't help but wonder if their selection is a safe bet for high ratings,  rather than a daring artistic choice.

Similar concerns surround Dua Lipa. A talented pop star, Lipa struggles to translate her studio sheen into a captivating live act.  Glastonbury demands an electrifying performance, a once-in-a-lifetime spectacle  - will she deliver, or simply offer a greatest hits set seen across the globe?

SZA stands as a beacon of hope. An artist known for her enigmatic persona and powerful vocals, she has the potential to craft a truly special Glastonbury moment.  However, the pressure is immense.  Will she embrace the festival's spirit of risk-taking, or succumb to the pressure of replicating a familiar set?

Glastonbury's magic lies in the unexpected.  It's about legendary acts like Stormzy igniting the crowd, iconic collaborations like Sir Paul McCartney jamming with rock royalty, or Beyonce's show-stopping tribute to Prince.  When headliners treat it as just another gig, the festival loses a bit of its soul.

Here's to hoping this year's crop of headliners rise to the occasion.  Let's see them embrace the spirit of Glastonbury, craft unforgettable sets, and remind us why that Pyramid Stage performance remains a coveted prize, not just another tour stop.

They are completely wrong, as someone who's been since 2008, it has lost magic and isn't the same festival it was back then.