2024 Headliners

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Definitely a factor for the tents.

You'll get crust around the edges of the pyramid field from people who don't want to be too far from food/toilets/bars/etc too.

TBF it’s probably just as much people who are anxious in crowds. Mrs Tarw hates being hemmed in. Even though she knows that there is more room in the middle she needs to be able to see an escape route out if she becomes overwhelmed. 

• Like 1

Oh well, im guilty of getting annoyed at this but majority of the time people are drunk and high or just living in the moment with mates having a good time and are oblivious lol. What can you do 🤷🏼‍♀️

Just now, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Oh well, im guilty of getting annoyed at this but majority of the time people are drunk and high or just living in the moment with mates having a good time and are oblivious lol. What can you do 🤷🏼‍♀️

Get drunk and high 🤷‍♂️😂

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

Spot on.

Paul McCartney 2022 I was stood about 20 m in from the toilets in the field that are by the cider bus entrance/exit....went out to go to the toilet and to get a pint...easily strolled out through the toilets, but when i came back in with my beer there was a huge amount of people stood on the path or on the little mound after it....refusing to move 'there's no room through here mate'   etc - 'well there is as i've just come from it' 

managed to get through, and popped out in the main field like a cork out of a champagne bottle...turned round and had to laugh at the masses amount of space further in the field and a massive bottleneck of people stood by the toilets/path thinking that the field was full.

I think what happens is people turn up and for whatever reason stand near the edge, then others arriving after think that the field is full because people are already stood at the edge so just stand next to them, that in turn creates the crust/barrier...which then makes everyone else think the field is full when in reality further into it there's lots of space.

That is the problem we’ve encountered many times at the pyramid. Also when folk nearer the front lift up their chairs rugs etc more space is suddenly available.  It’s obvious when you watch tv coverage of for example Kylie. So many had set up camp nearer the stage and took up space, whilst those arriving struggled to find a spot at the back.  A gentle reminder from the festival like they did at Elton, but a bit earlier.

4 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

That is the problem we’ve encountered many times at the pyramid. Also when folk nearer the front lift up their chairs rugs etc more space is suddenly available.  It’s obvious when you watch tv coverage of for example Kylie. So many had set up camp nearer the stage and took up space, whilst those arriving struggled to find a spot at the back.  A gentle reminder from the festival like they did at Elton, but a bit earlier.

I think since camping chairs have become increasingly popular to take over the last 20 or so years the problem has just got worse and worse, personally I leave mine at the campsite but lots of people are happy to take them out and then set up at the Pyramid for the day, for the early acts its usually fine but when big headliners come on it becomes an issue.

In my earlier years of festivalling people used to either stand or sit on the ground (and not play on their phones...actually chat to each other!)

9 minutes ago, tarw said:

TBF it’s probably just as much people who are anxious in crowds. Mrs Tarw hates being hemmed in. Even though she knows that there is more room in the middle she needs to be able to see an escape route out if she becomes overwhelmed. 

Yes I think this is a lot of it. I also think sometimes it can be people who are trying to be considerate not realising that it causes a whole other issue so for example you know you only want to watch half the act so you think I'll just watch from the side so I'm not disturbing anyone when I do move on.

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

I think since camping chairs have become increasingly popular to take over the last 20 or so years the problem has just got worse and worse, personally I leave mine at the campsite but lots of people are happy to take them out and then set up at the Pyramid for the day, for the early acts its usually fine but when big headliners come on it becomes an issue.

In my earlier years of festivalling people used to either stand or sit on the ground (and not play on their phones...actually chat to each other!)

I occasionally use a chair early in the day where there's lots of space (bad back so I can't just stand or even sit without back support all day without it hurting after a few days) but by sub-headliner time I prefer to be completely bag free as if you are at any busy act anything you have with you just gets in the way of other people.

2 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Honestly, if you think the pyramid is bad....you've never been to Latitude Obelisk Arena!! 

100% Not only is it picnic blanket and camping chairs everywhere there are plenty of people with a rotten attitude...not letting people past, giving people dirty looks if they touch the corner of their picnic blanket with their foot.  Not everyone, but enough to be really annoying.

At least the Glasto champing chair crowd seems to be friendly.

Said before that I'd like to see Row Mead permanently removed as a camping site as they did last year and the space used as a designated area for families with kids and buggies, people who want to sit in chairs, etc.

Although going on this year's rumoured trio I'm not sure additional space will be required.

Edited by Hugh Jass II

12 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I occasionally use a chair early in the day where there's lots of space (bad back so I can't just stand or even sit without back support all day without it hurting after a few days) but by sub-headliner time I prefer to be completely bag free as if you are at any busy act anything you have with you just gets in the way of other people.

I have back issues as well, but I think they would get worse lugging a chair around for half of the day!

Just now, gooner1990 said:

I have back issues as well, but I think they would get worse lugging a chair around for half of the day!

I have one of those tiny ones that fold up smaller than a pair of shoes and weighs next to nothing.

37 minutes ago, Drinky said:

Beck 2016 is the archetypal Pyramid sub ruined by casual fans

That was probably me I’m afraid, found it a bit dull and that is exactly why most things are never going to be great on the pyramid unless you are really near the front or it’s the massive headliner everyone has come to see (and I was both near the front and at the massive headliner for Radiohead in 2017 and I still think some people around me ruined it a bit with  play one we know being a particular annoyance from someone)

13 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

100% Not only is it picnic blanket and camping chairs everywhere there are plenty of people with a rotten attitude...not letting people past, giving people dirty looks if they touch the corner of their picnic blanket with their foot.  Not everyone, but enough to be really annoying.

At least the Glasto champing chair crowd seems to be friendly.

Glastonbury crowd are usually quarter of a wine box deep whereas the Latitude folks are restricted to the £10 glasses of Pimm’s they’re too tight to spring for

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Honestly, if you think the pyramid is bad....you've never been to Latitude Obelisk Arena!! 

Yeah its abysmal. Not sure anyone who goes to Lattitude even likes music.

I am one and done with that festival 

8 minutes ago, Ben7amin_ said:

I was going last year as an extra festival with Oxfam but when I found out it has an actual on-site f**king Waterstones I changed my mind and went to Wilderness 🙂 

10 minutes ago, Ben7amin_ said:

Was my last time this year, always done that one with the kids since they were tiny as its just up the road from me. But even they've had enough of the people that go. Literally the worst crowd behaviour I've ever seen. Not just a couple of chairs. People block off full circles with 10+ of them so they can dance in their little space in the middle. One group had 15 chairs in a straight line and they'd made sure that they were sat so no one could get in between them. Idiots told us to go around.... Well you couldn't because then the next group of people were set up. I said am I heck and lifted my daughter over them and then climbed over myself. Disgusting. Never again. I WISH I had have taken photographs. It was so, so dangerous if they needed to get anyone out. 

Edited by Bike_Like_A_Mum

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Seems Stevie N tickets are flying

maybe she could have headlined after all! 

Edited by stuie