2024 Headliners

3 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

Not gonna headline this year or ever again, but along with The Killers and Pulp they seem like a contender for a Churnups-type slot if they’re gonna continue to make that a thing. 

Still amuses me a little they did their Glasto headline slot in 2008, and likely only headline slot, a few weeks before Sex on Fire & Use Somebody came out.

Not that they found it funny given how much they felt the crowd had changed in the intervening period to Reading 2009 and where, in the words of my friend who was in the crowd that day, the singer was being a moody git.

Just now, charlierc said:

Still amuses me a little they did their Glasto headline slot in 2008, and likely only headline slot, a few weeks before Sex on Fire & Use Somebody came out.

Not that they found it funny given how much they felt the crowd had changed in the intervening period to Reading 2009 and where, in the words of my friend who was in the crowd that day, the singer was being a moody git.

They headlined at the best possible time material-wise, that setlist is exactly what I’d want from them.

Must’ve been weird for them going from playing to largely die hard fans to people only wanting to hear their two big hits and making it very apparent that was the case by being completely unresponsive to the rest of the material. 

5 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

These artists still play glasto it's just they won't headline the Pyramid but might headline a smaller stage. It's really that simple. Who cares? You can still go see them and they will have a more engaged crowd that want to be there. 

The little simz headline thing is peak efests nonsense. Why people are so desperate for the festival to actively destroy itself I have no clue. Just go to West Holts and enjoy yourself lol

One of my favourite things ever is being in a massive crowd at the Pyramid watching a huge act put on a headlining show that people are going to be talking about for years.

Another of my favourite things ever is being at a headliner on a smaller stage with a bunch of people who've chosen to be there over the massive act on the Pyramid because they love the act, the act know and appreciate this and put on an amazing performance.

One of my least favourite things is seeing an act I love on a stage that's too big for them playing to a noticeably small and largely indifferent crowd.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

6 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

These artists still play glasto it's just they won't headline the Pyramid but might headline a smaller stage. It's really that simple. Who cares? You can still go see them and they will have a more engaged crowd that want to be there. 

The little simz headline thing is peak efests nonsense. Why people are so desperate for the festival to actively destroy itself I have no clue. Just go to West Holts and enjoy yourself lol

Because its a harder convo to have with work colleagues or something?

"Did you go to see The Killers? saw them on telly, looked fab." "Erm actually no, was at the West Holts stage, where all the real acts perform innit🤓"

20 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Last album was good 

they seem shite live tho 

Saw them in Milton Keynes in 2014, had a really good time, then saw them in Birmingham in 2017 and thought the crowd was terrible. Ironically having a dose of the Caleb 2009 then. But mainly because of the quite extensive fight a couple stood next to me had during The Bucket, which ruined my favourite song of theirs as a result.

1 hour ago, FloopFiller said:

They headlined at the best possible time material-wise, that setlist is exactly what I’d want from them.

Must’ve been weird for them going from playing to largely die hard fans to people only wanting to hear their two big hits and making it very apparent that was the case by being completely unresponsive to the rest of the material. 

I'm aware that for a little while they hated Sex on Fire and Use Somebody and this is part of how they wound up burned out and nearly breaking up during the tour for a rushed follow-up album that wasn't as good.

4 minutes ago, Ncahir94 said:

Probably a very unpopular opinion but both the 1975 and more appropriately bring me the horizon are future headliners and deservedly so due to both being incredible live. 

Wow.

I'd be surprised if BMTH even make it to the Pyramid Stage in any slot, let alone headline.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Saw them in Milton Keynes in 2014, had a really good time, then saw them in Birmingham in 2017 and thought the crowd was terrible. Ironically having a dose of the Caleb 2009 then. But mainly because of the quite extensive fight a couple stood next to me had during The Bucket, which ruined my favourite song of theirs as a result.

54 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I'm aware that for a little while they hated Sex on Fire and Use Somebody and this is part of how they wound up burned out and nearly breaking up during the tour for a rushed follow-up album that wasn't as good.

They’re in a really weird position where a big number of people are just there for those two tracks then they had 3 albums before that which are very well regarded.

I personally like their newer stuff, there’s a jools Holland live version of The Bandit from their newest album I think is excellent.

Their live shows look dreadful probs cause of what I mentioned in paragraph 1, somehow the only time I’ve seen them was big weekend 2014 at like 1pm . Was meant to see them mad cool 2020 but that obv didn’t happen 

12 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Personally think this is great 

It's alright but far from their best. For me, they became really dull after their first two or three albums, save a few individual songs.

3 hours ago, Neil said:

some people bat eyelids at non disco acts in the legends slot who then go on and smash it.

Some people bat eyelids at boring acts in the legend slot but I’m not sure what that’s got to do with Sam Fender or 2024 headliners whatsoever. 

4 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

Or she could be, y’know, promoting that new album she’s got coming out. 

I'll confess, I've never listened to her, I'm just desperate for any sort of announcement. Christ, I'd take confirmation that the Goan Fish Curry stall was going to be there right now. Just give me something!

17 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

What are they destroying if its sold out without an single act announced? They sell 135,000 tickets in an hour and could put Boris and Rishi on the Pyramid having a laugh if they want. They essentially do the opposite of what they could do with such a blessing. They play it very very safe cause they think they have to appease the lawn chair audience and theyre the only ones who buy tickets or something. They could challenge the audience but its once in a blue moon when it even happens. I mean its pretty much when any black artist is headlining that theres any uproar with the general public abut the festival losing its touch or something. I mean we have seen what happens when Emily goes after the tough gets and sometimes it burns you. Theyre lucky they even get Coldplay to perform for next to nothing or else they would have some other issues this year.

like ive said in the past we will see what happens when all 3 headliners are under the age of 30 or even all female. everyones mum will say its trash and they want to return their ticket. Fine, let em. Or do the boldest thing and dont put one ticket on sale until after you announce the lineup and see what happens with sales and reaction. If they want to see how the audience is currently then thats what you do. Its still gonna take another generation for the core attendees to be ok with certain bookings.

• Thanks 1