2024 Headliners

7 minutes ago, jonnytee1 said:

In all honesty I’m not sure that anyone else really cares if The 1975 have a few seats left in Manchester. 

if they were headlining Glastonbury - it would be relevant for this chat….. they aren’t and I’m personally very very happy about that. 

Happy Valentine’s Day all 

We are discussing the possibility of them headlining so it is kind of relevant, feel free to ignore. 

Happy Valentine's Day to you too

51 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Yep, still plenty of seats and that’s with the top blocks curtained off judging from the map on Ticketbastard. Thats very expensive.

This seems to happen quite a lot with Glasgow though. Unless someone is willing to play the SEC itself (which is terrible for gigs) there’s a big gap between the Academy and the Hydro in terms of available venues at the right capacity. When I went to the Hydro for HAIM, Elbow and The National there were decent portions of the upper seats blocked off. But if you’re an act capable of selling roughly 3/4s of the Hydro (as with the latter two) or even half (as with HAIM) there’s nowhere else to go. 

This gap between Academy and the Hydro is one of the reasons the proposed Edinburgh Arena is only 8500 capacity. Edinburgh is even worse than Glasgow given there's no real Barras equivalent. 
It's very much needed for central Scotland to have that "smaller" arena to keep bands of that size coming up here and it being financially viable for them. 

Enter Shikari are the most recent example of not being big enough to play the Hydro so just playing the o2 Academy in Edinburgh instead. It was sold out but they obviously couldn't bring their full production given the size difference. 

32 minutes ago, Nestacres said:

For £160 for standing in London and Manchester, there are going to be a lot of PJ fans, myself included, who are going to give it a miss

£160?! I had to do a double take when I first read that. When they played BST a couple of years back there were plenty of cheap tickets floating around the week before. I suspect this one might be the same. 

2 minutes ago, chickenfire said:

This gap between Academy and the Hydro is one of the reasons the proposed Edinburgh Arena is only 8500 capacity. Edinburgh is even worse than Glasgow given there's no real Barras equivalent. 
It's very much needed for central Scotland to have that "smaller" arena to keep bands of that size coming up here and it being financially viable for them. 

Enter Shikari are the most recent example of not being big enough to play the Hydro so just playing the o2 Academy in Edinburgh instead. It was sold out but they obviously couldn't bring their full production given the size difference. 

Armadillo has 3000 seats max. 

2 minutes ago, chickenfire said:

I had no idea there was a proposed arena in Edinburgh. Being from glasgow I always enjoyed how we got all of the bigger acts playing here cause going through to the Corn Exchange or whatever on a school night is a pain.

I agree that scotland defo needs that sort of size space though. Going to go read into the proposal now...

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

I had no idea there was a proposed arena in Edinburgh. Being from glasgow I always enjoyed how we got all of the bigger acts playing here cause going through to the Corn Exchange or whatever on a school night is a pain.

I agree that scotland defo needs that sort of size space though. Going to go read into the proposal now...

They've deliberately picked a site next door to a train station (Edinburgh Park) so getting to/from Glasgow and other places along that line will be easier than the Corn Exchange or even the Usher Hall (in theory) 

1 minute ago, chickenfire said:

They've deliberately picked a site next door to a train station (Edinburgh Park) so getting to/from Glasgow and other places along that line will be easier than the Corn Exchange or even the Usher Hall (in theory) 

Yes that’s the plan, why not Strathclyde park halfway between the cities just off the motorway? Great central belt location! 😉😊

11 hours ago, Ben7amin_ said:

I have interestingly just read an article the 1975 have not sold out any of there dates on the current tour  (a quick check In Ticketmaster has confirms this)

It could either be that have declined in popularity 

Or alternatively it could be cost of living impacts fans just not affording to pay those prices. 

mad hill to be dying on

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, chickenfire said:

That makes sense tbf. Edinburgh Park is sh*t but it is relatively handy.

20 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Yes that’s the plan, why not Strathclyde park halfway between the cities just off the motorway? Great central belt location! 😉😊

I always wished they'd bin off Prestwick , Glasgow  and Edinburgh airports and build a mega one half way between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Falkirk International Airport has a nice ring to it 

1 hour ago, chickenfire said:

All sounds very sensible IMO

2 hours ago, Nestacres said:

For £160 for standing in London and Manchester, there are going to be a lot of PJ fans, myself included, who are going to give it a miss

Considering their historic war with TicketMaster RE prices this is selling out of the highest degree.

2 hours ago, chickenfire said:

I had it in my head that the Edinburgh Academy was pretty much the same size as the Barras. Pretty shocked to find out its not far off double the capacity.

On 2/12/2024 at 10:45 PM, shep89 said:

I thought rhianna was booked for Sat last year but pulled out because she was preggers.

I’m surprised to see people talking about GNR ‘filling in’ for Taylor last year when it was Rihanna who’d been in the frame and pulled her world tour - Taylor was never planning dates outside the US in 2023 but that story persists

5 hours ago, Ben7amin_ said:

Exactly this I think some of the people on here are a little oblivious to the current financial situation of many in the UK. 

To think that even dedicated fans are gonna keep paying £££ 

Everyone has a limit on what they are willing to pay and a lot of people are reaching theirs 

There is gonna be changes in gig ticket selling  trends over the next few years and I do not know which way it will go. 

Yeah that is fair. The tickets are really expensive and it's beyond a luxury purchase when it is that much for a single ticket before you add on all the rest of the potential travel, accommodation, etc, etc. 

For lots of people they just can't afford it let alone justify it. 

I'm probably a bit guilty of being insensitive to that, apologies. 

35 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Yeah that is fair. The tickets are really expensive and it's beyond a luxury purchase when it is that much for a single ticket before you add on all the rest of the potential travel, accommodation, etc, etc. 

For lots of people they just can't afford it let alone justify it. 

I'm probably a bit guilty of being insensitive to that, apologies. 

No harm done I'm in the same boat. With stuff like this I wasn't calling you out personally,  I really prioritise going to see live music and happy to spend money on it. Even if I could not afford to. 

I feel that sadly now a lot of people are now in a position where they might have to pass up opportunities they previously would have jumped at due to the ever increasing financial pressures. 

It makes me sad. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

Yeah I bought all 21,000 tickets to prove a point 

It's ok to just admit you were off the mark and then we can never talk about it again

Happy to call it a sell out I'm sorry if I hit a nerve with your earlier. 

Not my intention 

3 minutes ago, Ben7amin_ said:

Happy to call it a sell out I'm sorry if I hit a nerve with your earlier. 

Not my intention 

Haha it's fine, I'm honestly not even that much of a fan- I've only seen them once and that was at trnsmt in 2017. Was just on my mind cause I saw how busy the Hydro looked on people's insta stories and was shocked at how many people i knew that went!

I do think they deserve to headline tho