2024 Headliners

But even at the time of that podcast, Emily was saying it would hopefully be 2 female acts. When was the info posted on here that Coldplay was one of the headliners, was it before that interview? If so, it doesn't make sense, unless the big American act wasn't Stevie. If the info was posted after the interview, I'm more than likely talking bollocks. Again.

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Does she actually say that specifically on the podcast though? I've never seen the direct quote.

The two women thing came from The Guardian.

She said she something like "could be", I'll check back.

11 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Nah, the interview was last year.

We'll never know, obviously, but sounds to me like she's thinking ahead.  I bet in her head her calendar year runs June to June.

Plus she uses "Who knows" and "Might" to refer to a festival she's already booked the headliners for. 

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

"Who knows, next year we might get two" could easily be appended by "if the phone call we had about Stevie Wonder falls through and we have to find an alternative / go back to the previous plan".

So I don't think we can read much into that quoute.

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Plus she uses "Who knows" and "Maybe" to refer to a festival she's already booked the headliners for. 

Yep, and this is part of my reasoning. Bear with me, my theory is that at the time of the interview:

One confirmed female act (Dua); One hoping to get (Madonna); New, suddenly available act (Stevie).

So she was still hopeful of two females but the new act was not one of them.

Probably bollocks, and I seem to be the only act not convinced of Coldplay. I've also backed myself into a corner with that argument as if it was the case, they may have given Coldplay the call once it was clear Madonna was out. But... if Coldplay were supposed to be signed up before the interview (which, remember was after the newspaper articles "confirming" the headliners), then the scenario doesn't work.

As I say, most likely nonsense but I'm sticking with it for now.

14 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Dua Lipa, Coldplay and Stevie Wonder is as good as a "party trio" we've ever had. That's a very hearty spread of singalong bangers.

...that we've sungalong to for years, and years, and years, and years. Doesn't exactly scream 'contemporary, edgy, up and coming' which I really wish Glastonbury would get back to. Oh well, I dont know...I can't complain as I like them all. It's a well known lineup that everyone can singalong to and it would definitely please the people watching from their sofas. We'll all have a lovely little time for sure 👍🏼

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

It was "Who knows, next year we might get two".

Got to be honest, I was always surprised at how that Emily interview became ‘there will be two female headliners.’ I never took it that way at all, I heard it as one Female headliner and a Female legend.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Got to be honest, I was always surprised at how that Emily interview became ‘there will be two female headliners.’ I never took it that way at all, I heard it as one Female headliner and a Female legend.

It was worded very oddly. Glastonbury have made a point of saying their legend is almost like their 4th headliner.

Purely on a personal note Stevie, Dua and Coldplay is a pretty underwhelming trio.** Three big gets for the festival and can see why they've been booked but none of them excite me.

Stevie I've seen, and enjoyed, a couple of times before but I feel I've got the full experience from him. Dua I can take or leave and Coldplay bore the arse off of me. It's a little disappointing that there'd be no headliner to truly get me pumped this year, and could even be my first ever 0/3 for El Pointo in 20 years of going.

**Of course all the usual caveats of there being great stuff on other stages apply.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Stevie in 2010 was an all-time great headline performance for me. I have no interest in repeating it but there will be plenty of new punters who weren't there in 2024 who will now get to experience that.

I'm personally happy with the headliner trio - I've seen them all before and can happily skip all 3 and enjoy some headline slots on other stages which is far less stressful than the Pyramid!

31 minutes ago, northernangel said:

It was worded very oddly. Glastonbury have made a point of saying their legend is almost like their 4th headliner.

Have to say, on a personal note, the whole "stressing that point" annoys me, given it's so utterly interchangeable. Emily went out of her way to suggest Lizzo was a fourth headliner last year, rather than Cat Stevens.

32 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Purely on a personal note Stevie, Dua and Coldplay is a pretty underwhelming trio.** Three big gets for the festival and can see why they've been booked but none of them excite me.

**Of course all the usual caveats of there being great stuff on other stages apply.

On a similar personal note, it's not an all-timer trio for me, and that's in part because we're getting two prior headliners in the mix. But I absolutely appreciate that, objectively, it is a very strong line-up - and it also fits my other preferential criteria of the balance of one on the up (Dua Lipa), one at the top (Coldplay) and one on the down (Stevie Wonder), to put it less eloquently. (See also: 2019.)

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

She really didn't.

They did put Lizzo on the top line of the poster, and we all know what that infers. 

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That's literally it though. Year before Diana Ross was there.

Previous years have had the legend there, as that's been talked up to be the 4th headliner.  On the year the 4th headliner isn't a woman, just insert any woman in that position on the poster?  It needs to be consistent at least. 

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

Previous years have had the legend there, as that's been talked up to be the 4th headliner.  On the year the 4th headliner isn't a woman, just insert any woman in that position on the poster?  It needs to be consistent at least. 

Probably as much a reflection of Cat Stevens being a slightly lower profile Legend Slot tbh.

• Upvote 1