2024 Headliners

1 minute ago, CantWaitForGlasto22 said:

If it’s not Madonna/Coldplay/Dua Lipa I still think The Killers are in with a shout as they have a VERY suspicious Glastonbury shaped hole in their tour dates. Could be a Foos/Churnups type “secret” Pyramid set but if it’s not that it could be a replacement headline if Madonna hasn’t signed 🤔 

Can't see it myself:

17 - secret set

19 - headline

23 - Brandon on stage with Reg

Edited by Hugh Jass II

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Can't see it myself:

17 - secret set

19 - headline

23 - Brandon on stage with Reg

I agree they’ve been around a lot over recent years which makes it less likely - but saw the debate on here about who else could be in the running and thought I’d throw it out there again. Can’t remember how Emily phrased the American artist who was suddenly available (think it sounded like a solo artist), but could it have been them? Don’t know - just speculating!

9 minutes ago, CantWaitForGlasto22 said:

I agree they’ve been around a lot over recent years which makes it less likely - but saw the debate on here about who else could be in the running and thought I’d throw it out there again. Can’t remember how Emily phrased the American artist who was suddenly available (think it sounded like a solo artist), but could it have been them? Don’t know - just speculating!

The Killers are over here every 5 minutes, I don't think they'd be worthy of Emily excitedly saying they were suddenly available.

To refresh our memories of what was said in October:

Glastonbury Festival organiser Emily Eavis has said she has recently been offered a "really big American artist" who she hopes will headline next year.

She didn't reveal their identity, but told BBC podcast Sidetracked she is aiming to book two female headliners.

Next year's "legend slot", effectively a fourth headliner - has already been filled by a female act, she revealed.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

....Seems to imply one female headliner booked (Dua Lipa probably) and hoping for one more to be booked (Possible is/was Madonna), and best guess for Legend is Cher.

Yeah that’s got to be the case. Legend could also be Stevie Nicks but most likely Shania Twain. Is Madonna out or do we not really know? I think The Killers will do a Churnups type set/slot and don’t think they’d bump them up unless they were really desperate as The Killers, Coldplay & Dua looks quite bland. 

23 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

It’s a shame Muse stank out the place in 2016 as their 2023 show really was excellent.

There’s an alternate reality somewhere in which they didn’t play that 16 show and instead returned after a 13 year absence and went down a storm.

And yet at Reading 2017 they were received rather well.

Admittedly I am puzzled as to why they thought playing all 13 minutes of The Globalist with the orchestral outro was a good idea. That and there's a weird audio glitch on all Glastonbury 2016 coverage so watching on TV at the time/YouTube now, there is some off-putting second/two second scraping noise every few minutes all over everything.

To be fair, I look back at the setlist for that Muse show in 2016 and think about the large number of bangers packed into it. But save Dead Inside and Mercy, so much of the Drones material was absolute dross, and the move to roll out The Globalist as the final song of the main set just shot any momentum in the foot.

A prime example of how to torpedo a great set, in hindsight for me. But everyone sees things different, of course.

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

To be fair, I look back at the setlist for that Muse show in 2016 and think about the large number of bangers packed into it. But save Dead Inside and Mercy, so much of the Drones material was absolute dross, and the move to roll out The Globalist as the final song of the main set just shot any momentum in the foot.

A prime example of how to torpedo a great set, in hindsight for me. But everyone sees things different, of course.

Two months before that Glasto set, I saw Muse at London O2 on the Drones tour itself. I disagree with part of the assessment as Reapers, Psycho and Handler were all good fun live. But The Globalist is the kind of thing you do at your own shows - the heavy middle part and Elgar-quoting outro were good live, the 5 minute intro was weak - and for a festival crowd playing all of that is barking mad.

It's certainly more time I thought we'd get for Muse in this thread tbf, given I haven't seen any signs they're planning to go on tour in 2024.

2 hours ago, sokkovokna said:

I think Dua Lipa, Olivia Rodrigo and Pulp would be a good trio of headliners.

Do Pulp have any UK dates for '24 announced yet? I know they're playing Primavera in both Barcelona & Porto and a few other Euro dates here but hadn't heard of any UK ones.

6 hours ago, sokkovokna said:

I think Dua Lipa, Olivia Rodrigo and Pulp would be a good trio of headliners.

I agree, although I wouldn't be surprised if there's a perception they're a bit weak (two bump-ups including one that's obviously a replacement for a preferred act, and a safe and predictable band). All three have the potential to knock it out of the park (not the Park).

10 hours ago, charlierc said:

Two months before that Glasto set, I saw Muse at London O2 on the Drones tour itself. I disagree with part of the assessment as Reapers, Psycho and Handler were all good fun live. But The Globalist is the kind of thing you do at your own shows - the heavy middle part and Elgar-quoting outro were good live, the 5 minute intro was weak - and for a festival crowd playing all of that is barking mad.

It's certainly more time I thought we'd get for Muse in this thread tbf, given I haven't seen any signs they're planning to go on tour in 2024.

Yeah, that is fair enough. I saw the show in Manchester and had a cracker of a time with it too. Maybe it was just a failure to calibrate for a festival in the way they could do best.