2024 Headliners

That Stevie set in 2010 feels like it should have been a one-and-done, for numerous reasons. I'm not sure how it gets equalled, never mind topped. It had all of the ingredients for a top-five Glastonbury headliners of all-time shout (tunes, weather, crowd, atmosphere, the perfect festival closer). The only reason it could be repeated is for those who weren't there, but that doesn't feel like it should be enough to do it again.

26 minutes ago, mouserat said:

Beginning to think Emily's comment about a female American headliner should be discounted. These are the female American artists with new albums expected this year (according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2024_albums), filtering out acts that are nowhere close to Pyramid headliner level:

Jennifer Lopez (no current tour dates)

Ariana Grande (no current tour dates)

Cardi B (no current tour dates)

Katy Perry (no current tour dates, previously played lower down so maybe not big enough?)

I'm not convinced any of them make sense, which makes me think the female American comment a while back from Emily was about Madonna but it fell apart. I'll be stunned if the lineup is announced and there's a name which gets the reaction she hinted at.

If you’re referring to the BBC interview back in October she didn’t actually say the big American act they’d just had a call from was female. If you mean something else Emily said then ignore

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67207702

Just now, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

That Stevie set in 2010 feels like it should have been a one-and-done, for numerous reasons. I'm not sure how it gets equalled, never mind topped. It had all of the ingredients for a top-five Glastonbury headliners of all-time shout (tunes, weather, crowd, atmosphere, the perfect festival closer). The only reason it could be repeated is for those who weren't there, but that doesn't feel like it should be enough to do it again.

Yeah it was great but no real need to revisit it.

All heritage headliners should be one and done really (at least Macca waited close to 20 years between sets).

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Yeah it was great but no real need to revisit it.

All heritage headliners should be one and done really (at least Macca waited close to 20 years between sets).

I don’t see why that should be the case, I don’t want them to wheel out the same heritage acts continually but there’s some that merit in more than one showing. How many at this year’s festival weren’t there 14 years ago? More than enough for it to be a new experience for a large number I imagine. 

Just now, Avalon_Fields said:

I don’t see why that should be the case, I don’t want them to wheel out the same heritage acts continually but there’s some that merit in more than one showing. How many at this year’s festival weren’t there 14 years ago? More than enough for it to be a new experience for a large number I imagine. 

Interesting about Stevie - where has this conversation stemmed from or is it more of a wish?

2 minutes ago, discgoesmic said:

Interesting about Stevie - where has this conversation stemmed from or is it more of a wish?

By the looks of it a couple of bot X posts and the like. Don't think there is any real weight to it, there just isn't much else to talk about. 

45 minutes ago, mouserat said:

Beginning to think Emily's comment about a female American headliner should be discounted. These are the female American artists with new albums expected this year (according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2024_albums), filtering out acts that are nowhere close to Pyramid headliner level:

Jennifer Lopez (no current tour dates)

Ariana Grande (no current tour dates)

Cardi B (no current tour dates)

Katy Perry (no current tour dates, previously played lower down so maybe not big enough?)

I'm not convinced any of them make sense, which makes me think the female American comment a while back from Emily was about Madonna but it fell apart. I'll be stunned if the lineup is announced and there's a name which gets the reaction she hinted at.

I'd argue only Ariana Grande is a headliner to be honest of these.

JLO is not even contention surely?

45 minutes ago, gfa said:

This isn't a great idea at all

They generally try and push people up every year, but this should not be done with a significant sacrifice to size

Billie is an interesting case, despite her obviously being huge 2022 was her first year of huge festival slots so its hardly like the missed the boat.

Please see the additional previous comment that brings this together.

As I think it's being misinterpreted as randomly promoting an up and coming act (not the intention) 

For Clarity I'd like 3 headliners to be. (These are examples to give a feeling of the kind of booking I'm talking about) 

1 fresh new act (e.g Billie Eilish, Dua Lipa)

1 promoted act (e.g Pulp, Chems)

1 big name (Madonna, Elton John) 

The promoted act is me meaning an act that is not currently considered to be big enough to headline because we have set the goalposts far too high. 

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

I'm not sure the Chems need much more promoting. They've actually headlined El Pointo in the past, and they play the Other every 7 minutes.

Lol I also said that in my original post so have Pulp.....

Might need to copy all my previous  comments Into every reply. 

Main point is the bar for what is a headliner is currently set far to high. 

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Pulp and Chemical Brothers would a decent co-headliner, if the festival were to break with tradition. They've never done that before, have they? 

Absolutely they could both do 1:45 sets 

And we all have a great time just ignoring the there not big enough anymore to headline crowd) 

Where does O-rod fit now? She's a 'huge American' female talent with a massive GSH in her tour schedule, a well received new album and a good connection to the festival, who smashed her last set there.... This year's Billie? 

Billie was also playing arenas the year she headlined, and technically headlined on the next Glasto after her 2019 Other Stage debut. (Albeit with a pandemic thrown in there.) 

5 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Pulp and Chemical Brothers would a decent co-headliner, if the festival were to break with tradition. They've never done that before, have they? 

You can't really do co-headliners at GF, ultimately someone has to play last.

8 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Where does O-rod fit now? She's a 'huge American' female talent with a massive GSH in her tour schedule, a well received new album and a good connection to the festival, who smashed her last set there.... 

I think if Madge is a goner then there's a pretty high chance that it'll be her.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

You can't really do co-headliners at GF, ultimately someone has to play last.

If they're scraping the barrel for large acts suitable/available to headline, they could do a lot worse. But I get that co-headline status is only usually applied to appease egos of the act playing first. I'd be delighted with a Pulp/Chems one-two. Would much prefer that to Conscious Uncoupler and the Lads

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

This 'promoted headliner' nonsense all hinges on whether or not they're 'scraping the barrel' for headline acts.

And.......they aren't?

Yup, much like the whole Lizzo thing last year, why book a weaker headliner/headliner pair when you can book a certified stadium headliner and then also have those other acts playing further down the bill. Doesn’t make sense to make such a decision unless they’re totally out of options for the top line.

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

If I remember correctly, those last shows weren't particularly well received? Something about a dj taking over for a chunk of it?

It was genuinely awful. Heartbreaking stuff. I left the Dublin show early.