2024 Headliners

56 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

Played third Other last year. Not to say they couldn’t just do it again or move up one, but acts tend to switch stages between festivals to change things up again.

Surely they’d fancy playing a packed out sweaty tent as the rock option on… well, any night.

I agree. I think IDLES vs Dua, Madonna or even Coldplay works. 

8 hours ago, Superscally said:

To be fair, I'd take Nick Cave and the Bad Lads as my left field headliner all day long.

Would infuriate a few people, but that set they played at APE the other year would also win a lot of converts.

8 hours ago, K2SO said:

It would depend on the stadium and sort of run they do - Bille or Kendrick could easily do a one night show at one of the big London stadiums, or do a run of park shows and smaller stadiums such as Plymouth, Doncaster, etc - Similar to The Killers/Arctic Monkeys' recent tours

I won't disagree with Billie Eilish, but given Kendrick Lamar took an age to shift his arena shows after - plenty sold out, but I know Leeds had to drop the price and/or give away large swathes of tickets - I cannot concur there. Maybe he could play the one-off in London, but unless they were nicely priced with a good support bill, I don't think you'd get him selling well in Bristol or Coventry right now.

5 hours ago, SilverLining said:

If Tame Impala play - I will be so happy, watched his 2019 set on youtube no exaggeration about 200 times.

A famed show, that one!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Would infuriate a few people, but that set they played at APE the other year would also win a lot of converts

Agreed, I saw them at ATN a couple of weeks before that and they were mesmerising. Much as I love them, previously didn’t think they were right as headliner, but walked away thinking why not. Utterly engrossing. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Idles have definitely got that appeal, but yeah, not sure they would top Other.

I'm going to see Woodsies are topped by Cigarettes After Sex. (Toss-up between there and Park, but three sold-out Apollo shows has me convinced.)

Ooh I hope we get CAS. I missed out on their Manchester show because all the tickets went in presale. 

3 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Agreed, I saw them at ATN a couple of weeks before that and they were mesmerising. Much as I love them, previously didn’t think they were right as headliner, but walked away thinking why not. Utterly engrossing. 

There were some minor improvements you could make to that show, but resurrecting There She Goes, My Beautiful World - possibly their most ebullient number - and O, Children - one of their most regonisable crossover cuts - for the run was a masterstroke on paper. Just so gutted I didn't get to catch it in the flesh.

4 minutes ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

Ooh I hope we get CAS. I missed out on their Manchester show because all the tickets went in presale. 

That was a rum deal, I have to say. I saw them early doors in Leeds about five or six years ago. They got another boost during the pandemic when people discovered them through Promising Young Woman.

13 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

There were some minor improvements you could make to that show, but resurrecting There She Goes, My Beautiful World - possibly their most ebullient number - and O, Children - one of their most regonisable crossover cuts - for the run was a masterstroke on paper. Just so gutted I didn't get to catch it in the flesh.

That was a rum deal, I have to say. I saw them early doors in Leeds about five or six years ago. They got another boost during the pandemic when people discovered them through Promising Young Woman.

K was my intro to them. I love them. 

Edited by Kaboom Boxer

1 minute ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Yeah, both were excellent! Surprisingly, Vortex worked really well in the encore too. Some grumbles from my mates about the lack of Stagger Lee, but swapping in Henry Lee as the Murder Ballads cut worked for me! City of Refuge was awesome. I love Push the Sky Away as a closer, but Ghosteen Speaks was sublime.

8 minutes ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

K was my intro to them. I love them. 

A good place as any to start!

6 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Yeah, both were excellent! Surprisingly, Vortex worked really well in the encore too. Some grumbles from my mates about the lack of Stagger Lee, but swapping in Henry Lee as the Murder Ballads cut worked for me! City of Refuge was awesome. I love Push the Sky Away as a closer, but Ghosteen Speaks was sublime.

Ghosteen Speaks worked excellently on the Cave/Ellis shows I was fortunate enough to catch. I know Higgs Boson Blues remains one of his favourites, but I would be switching that out for Push the Sky Away any day of the week.

Think if we were revising that for a Glastonbury audience, we could try this for a ninety-minute set - though I'm aware it is probably too ballad-heavy. (Hey, this is my dream!)

1 There She Goes, My Beautiful World
2 From Her to Eternity
3 Tupelo
4 O Children
5 Jubilee Street
6 I Need You
7 Stagger Lee
8 Red Right Hand
9 The Mercy Seat
10 Where the Wild Roses Grow
11 Galleon Ship
12 The Ship Song
13 Into My Arms
14 Ghosteen Speaks
15 The Weeping Song
16 Push the Sky Away

5 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

A good place as any to start!

Ghosteen Speaks worked excellently on the Cave/Ellis shows I was fortunate enough to catch. I know Higgs Boson Blues remains one of his favourites, but I would be switching that out for Push the Sky Away any day of the week.

Think if we were revising that for a Glastonbury audience, we could try this for a ninety-minute set - though I'm aware it is probably too ballad-heavy. (Hey, this is my dream!)

1 There She Goes, My Beautiful World
2 From Her to Eternity
3 Tupelo
4 O Children
5 Jubilee Street
6 I Need You
7 Stagger Lee
8 Red Right Hand
9 The Mercy Seat
10 Where the Wild Roses Grow
11 Galleon Ship
12 The Ship Song
13 Into My Arms
14 Ghosteen Speaks
15 The Weeping Song
16 Push the Sky Away

That final run is pretty maudlin’ alright! Dig!!!, Lazarus, Dig!!! tracks never seem to get much of an airing, which is a pity. 

4 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

That final run is pretty maudlin’ alright! Dig!!!, Lazarus, Dig!!! tracks never seem to get much of an airing, which is a pity. 

Yeah, I was wondering if some of those might get dug up (if you pardon the pun) in the near future.

You can chop it around a bit, so:

1 There She Goes, My Beautiful World
2 From Her to Eternity
O Children
Jubilee Street
5 I Need You
6 Tupelo
7 Into My Arms
8 Galleon Ship
9 Red Right Hand
10 Where the Wild Roses Grow
11 The Mercy Seat 
12 The Ship Song
13 Stagger Lee
14 Ghosteen Speaks
15 The Weeping Song
16 Push the Sky Away

That would probably run a little better.

14 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Also love Get Ready for Love as an opener. Really blows the doors off! 

I like it, and it definitely works in context. But... hmmm, I'm not sure it will be retained when the Bad Seeds come back again.

It depends how much material there is to play with, I guess. When I saw them in Manchester a few years ago behind Skeleton Tree, it was all but one song from the latter, three from Push the Sky Away and the other eight from the rest of a very varied career. (I adore Skeleton Tree, and find it one of the best albums of the century, but it was nevertheless a bold move.)

19 minutes ago, R Shah said:

As much as I'd love it, there's more chance of @CaledonianGonzoheadlining with a set of Bad Bunny covers.