2024 Headliners

3 minutes ago, incident said:

They take stick in some quarters regardless of who's booked.

True

3 minutes ago, incident said:

If Madonna is available, and within budget, they absolutely jump at the chance.

If they can get it done quickly then fine. But I don’t know that her enduring legacy among people under 45 and live reputation is strong enough for them to spend the next year chasing her up and down the garden path and risking ending up in a 2015 Prince/The Who situation. It would look good in the festival’s history books in 20 years time if they can say they once booked Madonna but I’m not sure how high a priority that is. 

3 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

If they can get it done quickly then fine. But I don’t know that her enduring legacy among people under 45 and live reputation is strong enough for them to spend the next year chasing her up and down the garden path and risking ending up in a 2015 Prince/The Who situation. It would look good in the festival’s history books in 20 years time if they can say they once booked Madonna but I’m not sure how high a priority that is. 

Like a prayer on the Pyramid 😎

1 minute ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Similar situation to Bowie in 2000 imho. Unquestionably iconic act but in the creative doldrums and popularity declining after a long period of refusing to give people what they want. 

If - and it's obviously an if - she unleashes a bangerfest, then retrospectively it becomes a no brainer of a booking.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Like a prayer on the Pyramid 😎

If it was as simple as that then it wouldn’t be a problem. The issue would be that for every Like A Prayer/Boderline/Ray of Light you stand an equal chance of her dropping a Living For Love/Give Me All Your Luvin/Give It 2 Me. 

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Similar situation to Bowie in 2000 imho. Unquestionably iconic act but in the creative doldrums and popularity declining after a long period of refusing to give people what they want. 

If - and it's obviously an if - she unleashes a bangerfest, then retrospectively it becomes a no brainer of a booking.

Pretty much. The one thing I would say would be that having marketed this so heavily as a Greatest Hits tour, if it does turn out to be her usual nonsense of medleys sung badly then her name will be mud. I would hope she realises that and is going to give the people what they want at long last but until the first setlist comes out I won’t bank on it. 

Just now, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Pretty much. The one thing I would say would be that having marketed this so heavily as a Greatest Hits tour, if it does turn out to be her usual nonsense of medleys sung badly then her name will be mud. I would hope she realises that and is going to give the people what they want at long last but until the first setlist comes out I won’t bank on it. 

Agreed. Hopefully she's not that daft.

I’m coming with a realistic take.

They are hoping for Dua and Taylor, but there’s a gigantic chance that Taylor will not materialise and they will be scraping for a headliner again.

So imo I think we’ve got Depeche Mode, Dua Lipa and whoever they rope in to stand in for Taylor.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I’m coming with a realistic take.

They are hoping for Dua and Taylor, but there’s a gigantic chance that Taylor will not materialise and they will be scraping for a headliner again.

So imo I think we’ve got Depeche Mode, Dua Lipa and whoever they rope in to stand in for Taylor.

Depeche Mode have to be high on the 'We've not booked em yet and time is running out' list.

16 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The implication from Emily’s comments is that she’s not booked for any year yet and is definitely not playing in 2024. 

Billie and GnR are both ‘not Taylor Swift’ acts, but whoever plays next year won’t be doing so just because Swifty ain’t there. 

1 minute ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

I’ve no doubt they’re on the list. Just not particularly high. 

Would maybe double check who you are challenging! 

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

So you know what the blocker is?  Money?

I’m going to assume it has been - but the band is in a different position now and as they probably wrap up their career Glasto may be a possibility. 

Just now, kalifire said:

The implication from Emily’s comments is that she’s not booked for any year yet and is definitely not playing in 2024. 

Billie and GnR are both ‘not Taylor Swift’ acts, but whoever plays next year won’t be doing so just because Swifty ain’t there. 

I don’t read that at all. In the same way that Glasto tried multiple years for the Stones, Prince, etc - they don’t give up on the acts they really want and they know the game they have to play.

I reckon Taylor has first refusal every year she’s touring now - and if she leaves it on the table / doesn’t materialise they will then have to look at second options.

Strongly think that from now on one headliner is a “Taylor backup”. Whether they realise it or not.

53 minutes ago, nikkic said:

There should just be a complete ban on medleys, no good can come from them. 

Not so sure, Prince at the O2, when he realised he was running out of time, did an absolutely barnstorming medley. It was awesome beyond belief, made everybody happy.

Reckon Glasto HQ have heard from Taylor’s camp that she plans to be in Europe in June next year and it’s a “let’s see if we can make it work” or something like that… but in order to get her they have to play the game.

They will prob know around this summer whether they have her or not.

I’d like to think after this years fiasco they’ve actually lined up an alternative if she doesn’t materialise - but it won’t be something like Madonna or Rihanna - their egos will not allow being a step in. If you want to secure one of them they have to be your priority.

Maybe if the 1975 tour again and have a gap that weekend they could finally break their bridesmaid curse - but depending on how late she leaves it we could get anyone.

I think Billie’s team knew what was up keeping that weekend free in 2022.

Edited by Matt42

I think they have Dua as a lock, but I think they are trying for Madonna.

I think they are saying to her look at the love Paul got, and the love Elton is getting and will get, this can be yours all you have to do is play. People mention money but she's done radio 1 big weekend before. The value is her back catalogue being brought to a new generation which will drive up the value of it.

2 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

I think they have Dua as a lock, but I think they are trying for Madonna.

I think they are saying to her look at the love Paul got, and the love Elton is getting and will get, this can be yours all you have to do is play. People mention money but she's done radio 1 big weekend before. The value is her back catalogue being brought to a new generation which will drive up the value of it.

I think Madonna is an absolute pipe dream. Really can’t see that happening. We know that she’s asked for a stupid fee before and wouldn’t come off that ledge. 

Edited by Matt42