2024 Festival

Chad888

21 hours ago, Benj said:

Doing two nights at the o2, esp as a nostalgia act isn’t really huge going these days. 30+ers have disposable income to burn for experiences and like to do so

Is that you *checks notes* literally any Tory MP? 

This is insanely tone-deaf. I am 30, all my friends are 30, and we have literally zero money to burn. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I mean it is statistically true that people generally have more disposable income the older they get. Doesn't mean it's true for everyone.

Surely anyone with a job aged 16-22 have the most disposable income? Living at home with less bills. Think I’ve never had more disposable income because when you move out despite earning more your bills just keep getting higher especially at the moment where unless you’re lucky your wage is never increasing at the rate prices are going up. 

9 hours ago, Benj said:

By 3rd down you mean 6th. That sounds about right

Not at all, she plays 3rd down in whichever scenario Reading go for max. She's not doing 6th down, age doesn't play Birmingham Academy. You might not like her but she's got several noticeable tracks to people that do easily. 

13 minutes ago, Gejonimo said:

Fred Again... and Pulp for Way Out West in Sweden early August👀

Yup Pulp for WOW was obvious once Oya in Norway had booked them.

20 hours ago, Benj said:

Nailed on for Creamfields or an MSW Reading slot then, possibly both? Has that happened before?

No - but the only act to possible do it (Disclosure x2) haven't done it yet. Theres so little to base it off, i think its defo possible

16 hours ago, Chad888 said:

Dua Lipa is not big enough for Glastonbury. She's a zeitgeist pop singer that will be an afterthought in 10-years.

Coldplay are f**king huge and timeless. Them alongside Madonna is what Glastonbury is about. Dua Lipa though? Lol.

It's like having Katy Perry, Sugababes, Girls Aloud, Little Mix, Charli XCX in the past. 

Or maybe Glastonbury means something to me, that you can look at any headliner and think that they are/will be legendary status, and will be enjoyed by both the 70 year olds and 17 year olds in the crowd.

f**k it, get Rita Ora, Bebe Rexah, Anne-Marie up there.

I'd have thought acts like Taylor Swift, Adele etc are Glastonbury headline size. Dua Lipa is a Friday MSE at Reading size.

this is gonna age badly!

Just wait till you see who did Glastonbury in 2019 then Friday MSE at Reading 2021 btw!

15 hours ago, Benj said:

Avril Lavigne MSW headliner?!

She's headlining lots of fests on mainland europe so possibly

4 hours ago, Gejonimo said:

This is insanely tone-deaf. I am 30, all my friends are 30, and we have literally zero money to burn. 

Sorry, must all be 40 somethings burning their disposable going to see Avril Lavigne at Ally Pally

...and all these other nostagia powered gigs and festival bills doing the rounds now

Why are people using their personal anecdote as evidence that over 30s don't have disposable income etc?

It's a historic fact that they do, and if we are going to use anecdotal evidence - I'm 31, a 4 bed homeowner, and currently with my wife and child on our 4th holiday this year, currently in the Belize rainforest after Rome, St Ives, Turkey. Even 5 years ago I couldn't afford any of that.

Edited by Chad888

3 hours ago, foolee said:

Surely anyone with a job aged 16-22 have the most disposable income? Living at home with less bills. Think I’ve never had more disposable income because when you move out despite earning more your bills just keep getting higher especially at the moment where unless you’re lucky your wage is never increasing at the rate prices are going up. 

This is both factually incorrect and a huge generalisation of your own experience to those of others

Edited by Radi0Head

6 hours ago, On The Blend said:

Do we? That’s fantastic news! I thought we were in the middle of an historic cost of living crisis

Also On The Blend-

R&L: 2012, 2013 | Sziget 2016, 2018, 2020 | MitäsMitäsMitäs: 2022, 2023 | Rock en Sine: 20202022 | Flow: 2022 | Bearded Theory: 2023

You seemed to have had a fair bit to burn on festivals of late 🤣

There are loads and loads of 30 somethings with A LOT of disposable to burn.

1 minute ago, Chad888 said:

Why are people using their personal anecdote as evidence that over 30s don't have disposable income etc?

It's a historic fact that they do, and if we are going to use anecdotal evidence - I'm 31, a 4 bed homeowner, and currently with my wife and child on our 4th holiday this year, after Rome, St Ives, Turkey, and now the Belize rainforest. Even 5 years ago I couldn't afford any of that.

Indeed

"Didnt you know there's a cost of living crisis going on, I have nothing left at the end of the month

Posted on my iPhone 15 pro Max"

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Radi0Head said:

This is both factually incorrect and a huge generalisation of your own experience to those of others

Indeed. Your average 30 year old as far more disposable income that your average 16-30 year old

For some actual data as opposed to anecdotes and the usual social media 'There's a cost of living crisis going on' virtue signally balls here is a nice chart

https://www.statista.com/statistics/824464/mean-disposable-income-per-household-by-age-uk/

Yes there is a cost of living crisis going on. Sadly, those for whom its having a proper material affect on their existence, were not the ones paying 40 quid to see Avril Lavigne before it truly bit.

There are many many people 30-39, who while they've had their lifestyle pinched, are not in 'crisis'. Unless being able to go to one less Euro festival this year is a crisis

1 hour ago, gfa said:

She's headlining lots of fests on mainland europe so possibly

Editors and Franz Ferdinand headline festivals on mainland Europe...

I'd be amazed if she's 2nd (3rd/ 4th) on a two main stage based line up.

EDit - Then again actually looking at those who played there last year I cant really see her any lower either....🤣

Jeez the lineup was sh*t last year

Edited by Benj

34 minutes ago, Marvelous_Slut said:

I haven't been reading this thread, any solid rumours outside of Blink 182?

Eminem apparently

Fred Again probably a good shout too

9 minutes ago, Benj said:

Editors and Franz Ferdinand headline festivals on mainland Europe...

I'd be amazed if she's 2nd (3rd/ 4th) on a two main stage based line up.

EDit - Then again actually looking at those who played there last year I cant really see her any lower either....🤣

Jeez the lineup was sh*t last year

Avril Lavigne clearly doesn't have the same regional split that Editors do...

33 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

It's a historic fact that they do, and if we are going to use anecdotal evidence - I'm 31, a 4 bed homeowner, and currently with my wife and child on our 4th holiday this year, currently in the Belize rainforest after Rome, St Ives, Turkey. Even 5 years ago I couldn't afford any of that.

I dunno if you're being satirical at this point, as you say you can't use a personal anecdote as evidence, then do exactly that. 

Whatever, a festival forum isn't the place to get into an argument about how a certain age group is or isn't struggling financially. Just know that "having money to burn" is a lot different to having £200 a year to spend on a day out. 

5 minutes ago, gfa said:

Eminem apparently

Fred Again probably a good shout too

Avril Lavigne clearly doesn't have the same regional split that Editors do...

Think Editors are only strangely MASSIVE in Belgium. I think there are a few outliers in Belgium, which I guess kind of makes sense due to having a few languages in such a tiny place

…That said Lavigne is not headlining a mainstream Reading sized festival in the U.K.

13 minutes ago, Gejonimo said:

I dunno if you're being satirical at this point, as you say you can't use a personal anecdote as evidence, then do exactly that. 

Whatever, a festival forum isn't the place to get into an argument about how a certain age group is or isn't struggling financially. Just know that "having money to burn" is a lot different to having £200 a year to spend on a day out. 

That is literally the point.

I said you can't use anecdotes because I can do that to and its a complete different reality to yours.

59 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

What a Chad

5 hours ago, Gejonimo said:

The phrase 'money to burn' is clearly a hyperbole to exaggerate their point that AL is not exactly a megastar act and top of everybody's 2024 wishlist, but more of a novelty act people are going to see to relive their teens. I also highly doubt that Benj is an elected conservative MP...

The average 30-40yr old in the UK does have a significant disposable income btw, according to the ONS, or rather the correct term here is discretionary income. Especially in London, hence 2 dates at the O2.

• Upvote 1