2024 Festival

Chad888

f**king hell Fender has loads of great songs.

AND

Loads of sh*t ones he seems to want to play extended versions of...

In fact having seen Fender thats what this reminds me of the final show of the 18 month tour, a la Chile Peppers where they just over indulge themselves...

And in comes another great one! Borders.  He has got a load of great songs Fender

Two more albums and a great 90 minute show it will make

12 hours ago, stanh said:

Not really a prediction, but more of just a concept poster and idea for the future of the festival...

5 stages - Main Stage (currently Main Stage East), BBC Radio 1 Stage (currently Main Stage West), BBC Dance Stage (currently the same), BBC Sounds Stage (replacing the current Festival Republic and BBC Radio 1Xtra Stage), Festival Republic Stage (replacing the Alternative Stage). 

Friday Reading - Saturday Leeds:

Main Stage: Blink-182 / Yungblud / Pinkpantheress / Rico Nasty

BBC Radio 1 Stage: Doja Cat / IDLES / Peggy Gou / The Band CAMINO

BBC Dance Stage: Hannah Laing / Belters Only / Jazzy

BBC Sounds Stage: Unknown T / FLO / Nafe Smallz

Festival Republic Stage: girl in red / Hot Milk / Wunderhorse

Saturday Reading - Sunday Leeds:

Main Stage: Travis Scott / Lil Baby / Mabel / Nova Twins

BBC Radio 1 Stage: Fred Again.. / The Wombats / Summer Walker / mxmtoon

BBC Dance Stage: Sonny Fodera / D.O.D / Switch Disco

BBC Sounds Stage: Lizzy McAlpine / Matilda Mann / flowerovlove

Festival Republic Stage: Sundara Karma / Teezo Touchdown / CMAT

Sunday Reading - Friday Leeds:

Main Stage: Olivia Rodrigo / Jungle / Ice Spice / Jacob Collier

BBC Radio 1 Stage: Kasabian / 30 Seconds To Mars / Mahalia / Black Sherif

BBC Dance Stage: Wilkinson / Bou / venbee

BBC Sounds Stage: Fredo / Baby Queen / Cat Burns

Festival Republic Stage: Skindred / G Flip / TV Girl

Placings, acts booked and everything I haven't really thought about masses on this one, but it's more the concept I wanted to share - haven't worked out yet (par from 'headliners') if the acts on the Main Stage and BBC Radio 1 Stage will clash (hence why there aren't really any counter-programmed names). Think for those stages to have clashing acts during the day, it'd require the former MSW stage being moved in Leeds, to prevent some bottlenecks in the arena moving from the tents over to MSE.

In terms of the BBC Sound Stage, that stage can be a range of rap, indie, pop, alternative, rock, etc - whatever they're playing over on the BBC stations, Radio 1 particularly - merging together the names that would've appeared in the old Radio 1 tent, 1Xtra tent, FR Stage and the random stuff they're putting early on in the current Dance tent.

Then the new Festival Republic stage is more altered towards a new home for indie, rock, rock-rap, metal and alternative - essentially being a proper mix of the old FR, Pit, Lock-Up (how the current one is intended to be).

Finally, the Dance Stage will be back to it's former glory, with just dance acts on, instead of random bands and artists performing early on. 

Really hope I've not made this concept super confusing, but hopefully helps liven up this thread a bit again.

A quick mock-up poster I made below:

image.thumb.jpg.71bf331a0d905fd9f58f3848f968b215.jpg

I can see Travis getting given his own curated day somewhere like Finsbury, he’s massive and his stage show for his US arena show is the full arena pretty much so he’d likely want something similar here. 

and I’d expect 30 Seconds to Mars to get something like their own APE day but wouldn’t put it passed the fest with imagine dragons as a headliner this year to give them a headline slot too. 

Fred again… will probs get snapped up by Creamfields

If we’re thinking an artist in the last 10 years why are we not including Metallica in the mix? They’d pull a different demographic and with them helping sell out Download this year. 
Plus stranger things making them super super known to everyone. 

or even Fall Out Boy? Selling arena tours the same size as Blink and Paramore. 

could easy go back to curated stages on MSE/MSW instead of having a weird crowd mix like people waiting for The Killers with a pile of Central Cee fans. 

15 hours ago, stanh said:

Not really a prediction, but more of just a concept poster and idea for the future of the festival...

5 stages - Main Stage (currently Main Stage East), BBC Radio 1 Stage (currently Main Stage West), BBC Dance Stage (currently the same), BBC Sounds Stage (replacing the current Festival Republic and BBC Radio 1Xtra Stage), Festival Republic Stage (replacing the Alternative Stage). 

Friday Reading - Saturday Leeds:

Main Stage: Blink-182 / Yungblud / Pinkpantheress / Rico Nasty

BBC Radio 1 Stage: Doja Cat / IDLES / Peggy Gou / The Band CAMINO

BBC Dance Stage: Hannah Laing / Belters Only / Jazzy

BBC Sounds Stage: Unknown T / FLO / Nafe Smallz

Festival Republic Stage: girl in red / Hot Milk / Wunderhorse

Saturday Reading - Sunday Leeds:

Main Stage: Travis Scott / Lil Baby / Mabel / Nova Twins

BBC Radio 1 Stage: Fred Again.. / The Wombats / Summer Walker / mxmtoon

BBC Dance Stage: Sonny Fodera / D.O.D / Switch Disco

BBC Sounds Stage: Lizzy McAlpine / Matilda Mann / flowerovlove

Festival Republic Stage: Sundara Karma / Teezo Touchdown / CMAT

Sunday Reading - Friday Leeds:

Main Stage: Olivia Rodrigo / Jungle / Ice Spice / Jacob Collier

BBC Radio 1 Stage: Kasabian / 30 Seconds To Mars / Mahalia / Black Sherif

BBC Dance Stage: Wilkinson / Bou / venbee

BBC Sounds Stage: Fredo / Baby Queen / Cat Burns

Festival Republic Stage: Skindred / G Flip / TV Girl

Placings, acts booked and everything I haven't really thought about masses on this one, but it's more the concept I wanted to share - haven't worked out yet (par from 'headliners') if the acts on the Main Stage and BBC Radio 1 Stage will clash (hence why there aren't really any counter-programmed names). Think for those stages to have clashing acts during the day, it'd require the former MSW stage being moved in Leeds, to prevent some bottlenecks in the arena moving from the tents over to MSE.

In terms of the BBC Sound Stage, that stage can be a range of rap, indie, pop, alternative, rock, etc - whatever they're playing over on the BBC stations, Radio 1 particularly - merging together the names that would've appeared in the old Radio 1 tent, 1Xtra tent, FR Stage and the random stuff they're putting early on in the current Dance tent.

Then the new Festival Republic stage is more altered towards a new home for indie, rock, rock-rap, metal and alternative - essentially being a proper mix of the old FR, Pit, Lock-Up (how the current one is intended to be).

Finally, the Dance Stage will be back to it's former glory, with just dance acts on, instead of random bands and artists performing early on. 

Really hope I've not made this concept super confusing, but hopefully helps liven up this thread a bit again.

A quick mock-up poster I made below:

image.thumb.jpg.71bf331a0d905fd9f58f3848f968b215.jpg

This sunday is appalling

2 hours ago, jcarb said:

If we’re thinking an artist in the last 10 years why are we not including Metallica in the mix? They’d pull a different demographic and with them helping sell out Download this year. 

Metallica are playing 2 night in Canada over the Reading/Leeds weekend next year, so they can be ruled out

2 hours ago, jcarb said:

I can see Travis getting given his own curated day somewhere like Finsbury, he’s massive and his stage show for his US arena show is the full arena pretty much so he’d likely want something similar here. 

and I’d expect 30 Seconds to Mars to get something like their own APE day but wouldn’t put it passed the fest with imagine dragons as a headliner this year to give them a headline slot too. 

Fred again… will probs get snapped up by Creamfields

could easy go back to curated stages on MSE/MSW instead of having a weird crowd mix like people waiting for The Killers with a pile of Central Cee fans. 

He did Wireless this year - so will likely be at Reading in 2024 i think

30 STM very tired booking i think

Fred has generally been avoiding fully dance fests, i wouldn't be surprised if he does something London / R&L instead to be honest. He's similar to Disclosure who also don't really do Creamfields (not super regularly like say Calvin Harris etc)

12 hours ago, stanh said:

Don't know if I made it clear, but the Radio 1 Stage on my poster is just Main Stage West re-branded. Exactly the same stage, open-air and everything, just a new name for it, then can be marketed as a second stage instead of the MSW bs, but then have the ability to clash acts during the day, par from the headliners, different from how MSW was advertised when it was introduced.

I don’t think the current set up allows for acts to clash on the 2 main stages because of the sound bleed.
That’s half the reason why bringing back the big tent is so sought after on here

3 hours ago, gblock said:

I don’t think the current set up allows for acts to clash on the 2 main stages because of the sound bleed.
That’s half the reason why bringing back the big tent is so sought after on here

They could reconfigure it to make it work i reckon - just shuffle around where the stages face

55 minutes ago, gfa said:

They could reconfigure it to make it work i reckon - just shuffle around where the stages face

I don’t think they have the room at Reading without massive rejigging entraces and all sorts, I don’t think they’re allowed to blast the music out towards the housing areas either

8 hours ago, jcarb said:

Travis has hinted and teased at doing Wembley Stadium next summer, and has only just done Wireless over at Finsbury Park.

Metallica seem like quite a pointless booking for R&L these, and with how poorly received RATM was, doubt they'd go down much better; even with the Stranger Things song - plus as already mentioned, their dates for next year already rule them out.

Fall Out Boy seems unlikely, and are rumoured to be on tour next year alongside My Chemical Romance. Blink-182 would make more sense as a booking to please that segment of the crowd.

5 hours ago, gfa said:

This sunday is appalling

Must be a lock in then😂

5 hours ago, gblock said:

Not been to Reading since MSW was introduced, but it could potentially work if a major rejig of the arena was looked at, at both sites. But unsure on what the license at Reading allows (as Benj mentioned) for where music is directed - could potentially be possible, but would be a lot for Festival Republic to look at logistically, when realistically they'll go with what the easiest option is.

Other than bringing back the big tent; or rebranding stages, not too sure what else these supposed 'big' changes could be for next year though. Anymore guesses or thoughts?

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, stanh said:

Travis has hinted and teased at doing Wembley Stadium next summer, and has only just done Wireless over at Finsbury Park.

Metallica seem like quite a pointless booking for R&L these, and with how poorly received RATM was, doubt they'd go down much better; even with the Stranger Things song - plus as already mentioned, their dates for next year already rule them out.

Fall Out Boy seems unlikely, and are rumoured to be on tour next year alongside My Chemical Romance. Blink-182 would make more sense as a booking to please that segment of the crowd.

Must be a lock in then😂

Not been to Reading since MSW was introduced, but it could potentially work if a major rejig of the arena was looked at, at both sites. But unsure on what the license at Reading allows (as Benj mentioned) for where music is directed - could potentially be possible, but would be a lot for Festival Republic to look at logistically, when realistically they'll go with what the easiest option is.

Other than bringing back the big tent; or rebranding stages, not too sure what else these supposed 'big' changes could be for next year though. Anymore guesses or thoughts?

There isn’t much wriggle room at all for arena changed at Leeds, the positioning of MSW is already questionable in my mind. All the more reason to bin it!

4 hours ago, stanh said:

So far on this thread people have discussed:

A) Big Tent returns, in place of MSW, a la the old pre-covid setup 

B) Ditching the 1xtra stage and bringing back a somewhat smaller scale version of the Big Tent - but still offering 3 extra ‘headliners’ of household name status that clash with MSE

C) Simple rebrand of stages - no logistical changes whatsoever

D) Return of the Lock Up / Pit

… okay nobody mentioned the lock up but I think it should come back anyway 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Morgan Reeves said:

A bit of something for everybody

RANDL.jpg

Placements are a bit all over the place on this i think

IDLES are definitely not a MSW headliner - replace them with Kasabian maybe and it looks perhaps about right - theres still some smaller acts a bit random but nothing too crazy

19 hours ago, gblock said:

So far on this thread people have discussed:

A) Big Tent returns, in place of MSW, a la the old pre-covid setup 

B) Ditching the 1xtra stage and bringing back a somewhat smaller scale version of the Big Tent - but still offering 3 extra ‘headliners’ of household name status that clash with MSE

C) Simple rebrand of stages - no logistical changes whatsoever

D) Return of the Lock Up / Pit

… okay nobody mentioned the lock up but I think it should come back anyway 

Did hear from mates that the heavier acts were fairly busy this year, can anyone confirm? 

Par from that, probably the most chat there has been in here for months.

Creamfields 2024 already nearly sold out, probably will sell out within a couple weeks of the remaining tickets going on sale at the end of the month, especially with south being scrapped now.

28 minutes ago, stanh said:

Did hear from mates that the heavier acts were fairly busy this year, can anyone confirm? 

Sleep token, KennyHoopla, Knocked Loose all had decent crowds, Soft Play was rammed. Graphic Nature was also rammed but I think that may be down to the rain 😅

Edited by jonnyisRFC

2 hours ago, jonnyisRFC said:

Sleep token, KennyHoopla, Knocked Loose all had decent crowds, Soft Play was rammed. Graphic Nature was also rammed but I think that may be down to the rain 😅

Definitely - at Reading loads came running in after Baby Queen on MSE to get under the cover, they got quite a shock lol

Another reason to bring back the big tent, surely we’re due a rainy one soon

Travis Scott is that big of a draw now, they should give him the entire stage to curate and bring acts in. Most acts will be desperate to play on his day and show up because of the exposure.

Same as Foo Fighters in 2019, give them the entire day to choose who supports them and have the entire day tailored to him.

You wouldn't get the drop outs or no shows that have plagued the last couple of years, and the ticket sales would just be insane as everybody wants to see him, and by proxy all other acts he will have in the undercard.

Friday Reading, Saturday Leeds always tends to be the first time or smaller headliner that is one for the future (Dave, Stormzy, 1975, Fallout Boy, Kasabian, Foals, Mumford) Paramore

Saturday Reading, Sunday Leeds always tends to be the huge name draw that everybody is going to watch, they can get a day ticket and have the Saturday/Sunday party without work the next day (Post Malone, Kendrick Lamar, Eminem, Arctic Monkeys, Killers, RHCP) Travis Scott

Sunday Reading, Friday Leeds always tends to be the historic name that represents what R&L has always been, gets the old goers amped up to finish the festival with nostalgia (Muse, Kings of Leon, Foo Fighters, Rage Against the Machine) Blink-182

5 minutes ago, danz026 said:

Rightly or wrongly I would be absolutely shocked if the R1 tent makes a comeback. MSE and MSW is here to stay. 

100%

How do they walk it back now? It would be a marketing bomb.

There will be kids  19-22 that have only ever known the 6 headliners / 2-stage format.

Imagine telling those kids that they used to get 6 headliners and now they are only getting 3, but they get a tent which was asked for by the old timers that also want Download headliners every year and are about to celebrate their 35th birthday.

36 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Travis Scott is that big of a draw now, they should give him the entire stage to curate and bring acts in. Most acts will be desperate to play on his day and show up because of the exposure.

Travis Scott is that big of a draw that curating a stage won't bring more people in - if they get them for cheap go for it but similar acts should be spread over the weekend to sell weekend tickets, not dumped on one day to sell out day tickets instantly and then cause indie / rock / pop fans to have one day sh*t as its full of US rap surely

On 9/4/2023 at 3:37 AM, Benj said:

f**king hell Fender has loads of great songs.

AND

Loads of sh*t ones he seems to want to play extended versions of...

In fact having seen Fender thats what this reminds me of the final show of the 18 month tour, a la Chile Peppers where they just over indulge themselves...

And in comes another great one! Borders.  He has got a load of great songs Fender

Two more albums and a great 90 minute show it will make

That was the problem I had with him at Tramlines last year. Has some belters on his albums that he doesnt play live like "Aye" and "The Leveller", but loves playing "The Borders" and "Mantra". 

I found the middle part of his set at Tramlines really dull. 

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Travis Scott is that big of a draw that curating a stage won't bring more people in - if they get them for cheap go for it but similar acts should be spread over the weekend to sell weekend tickets, not dumped on one day to sell out day tickets instantly and then cause indie / rock / pop fans to have one day sh*t as its full of US rap surely

That’s what the return of the big tent is for. A nice alternative so everyone is happy 👍🏼