Roxy Music

FloorFiller

Just now, nikkic said:

Probably more of a case of who is available rather than a change in policy, I'm sure they'd still snap at the chance to bag Spice Girls, Robbie etc. 

Saw the BBC 2 thing had been pulled. Wonder if Robbie could pop up in a few places on the cheap next year?

Not sure this... orchestral (?) show would be a big draw though.

10 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

We don't know for sure Roxy Music are the "legend",

i do, as  much as i ever know something from whispers?

i've been told they're booked for the legends slot by a source with a superb history of being spot on.

5 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Haven't actually seen any reviews stateside yet, will go have a hunt. Saw a handful of clips which were... solid. But not necessarily more.

The only one I read was, er, mixed.  Noted the Fezza pipes not being what they were, which would be fair enough on the evidence of the solo show I saw 4 or 5 years back.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

The only one I read was, er, mixed.  Noted the Fezza pipes not being what they were, which would be fair enough on the evidence of the solo show I saw 4 or 5 years back.

That may well be the case. I mean, the setlist looks slower - which likely suits him better.

Remember watching the Glasto show on the box and thinking he still had it, still looked effortlessly cool. Saw a show in Harrogate in 2015, and was genuinely surprised how good fettle he was in.

Been seven years since. Could be a tough one - but imagine my love for Roxy Music will sweep me through. Was too young to do the previous reunions.

I’m quite surprised, really. They’ll be a huge step down from yer DiRo’s and yer Kylie’s in the eyes of the vast majority of people. The festival will be aware of this, of course.

Part of me wonders whether this booking would be done with crowd management in mind, but another part of me thinks it would be crazy for the festival to deliberately book a legend which will be much less popular than usual just to keep crowd numbers down. 

Just now, kalifire said:

I’m quite surprised, really. They’ll be a huge step down from yer DiRo’s and yer Kylie’s in the eyes of the vast majority of people. The festival will be aware of this, of course.

Part of me wonders whether this booking would be done with crowd management in mind, but another part of me thinks it would be crazy for the festival to deliberately book a legend which will be much less popular than usual just to keep crowd numbers down. 

Even in a cost of living crisis, Glastonbury's always going to sell out, at least unless they tank it three years on the trot. Don't think it is too crazy, perhaps? (Or have I kind of missed the point there...)

2 minutes ago, kalifire said:

As discussed in the other thread, the Pyramid field can and does cope fine with ginormo-crowds.

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

As discussed in the other thread, the Pyramid field can and does cope fine with ginormo-crowds.

Wonder if you could get a runway in the Pyramid field.

Not saying we should, that's a monumentally daft idea, but would be curious to know if you could theoretically land a plane there.

I think Roxy not being as big or as much of a cheese-fest as we’re used to with our legends these days could be forgiven considering we’ve (fingers crossed) got Elton closing one of the nights - the ultimate Sunday Legend type act if he weren’t just too big for it. Perfect year to move the actual Sunday legend in a slightly different direction if he’s gonna be on a couple of hours later. 

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I think Roxy not being as big or as much of a cheese-fest as we’re used to with our legends these days could be forgiven considering we’ve (fingers crossed) got Elton closing one of the nights - the ultimate Sunday Legend type act if he weren’t just too big for it. Perfect year to move the actual Sunday legend in a slightly different direction if he’s gonna be on a couple of hours later. 

That makes so much sense, actually. Were this not his farewell, Elton John would be peak Legends material - a quick seventy-five-minute hit festival. With him atop the pyramid, there could be something a little more... restrained (?).

1 hour ago, Neil said:

i do, as  much as i ever know something from whispers?

i've been told they're booked for the legends slot by a source with a superb history of being spot on.

Fair enough, time will tell, it's a great booking IMO, never seen Roxy or Ferry solo so will be there (as long as I get a ticket) clips from the US tour look good, not short of musicians or singers!

ELO Vs Roxy Music. The one hit wonders that somehow have respect as artists, despite a back catalogue as shallow as Boris Johnson's morality. It's Mr Blue Sky Vs Virginia Plain, both decent songs, but a massive drop off in quality after that.

And zero charisma in their front men. Fuck me, I'd rather have Robbie Williams.

In all seriousness, after Kylie smashing it, if things were different, George Michael would have been a great choice around now.

• Upvote 1