Mad Cool 2023

edge235

11 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

But it is weak. Robbie Williams and Sam Smith are weak headliners. Liam Gallagher plays everywhere. MGK is complete garbage and the Chilli Peppers are well past their sell by date. 

Compare this to Mad Cool 2018 which I went to and it's night and day.

Sam Smith is 4th down

15 minutes ago, clasher said:

Hehe you were spot on. However it also depends simply on how they decide to bill the acts. The insanely stacked 2018 lineup had acts like NIN, Massive Attack, Tame Impala, Kasabian and Post Malone on line 2 and MGMT on line 3, none of which would look too out of place in a 4-head structure.

Definitely, this is very true!

If it had still been at IFEMA I think I’d have rebooked our hotel from last year; Lil Nas X,  Sigur Ros, Franz, Paolo, The Amazons, QOTSA, Black Keys, Tash Sultana, Puscifwr, BBC, RHCP, LG, Prodigy, The Hu. Great start that. 

I do wonder about the GNR thing though, feel that they slot in as the big headliner on the Friday but then why not announce them today if so? Unless they’re waiting for a whole tour? Or they’ve dropped the ball with an early announcement tease once more, hahah? 

6 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

Lizzo is one of the better headliners, hence why I didn't comment on her. She's probably miles better than AMs current show you're right.

I also never said any of the artists were small, but an act like Robbie is as milk toast, cookie cutter crap as you can get. The size of the gigs he sells has no merit whether he's a good or bad headliner. 

All personal opinion but I just think 2023 is looking a bit meh for headliners, even Glastonbury has GnR rumoured for it which is just like.. what? Talk about scraping the barrel.

Im seriously hoping that with the 4 headliners on the first night i can watch Lizzo and then go and chill out on the 3rd stage finishing with Sigur ros 🙂

3 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

He has headliner level billing so I'm judging him as so.

In 2018 didnt they start off with other bands on the top line and as other acts got announced they moved down? I'm sure they did 

As opposed to recent years with all the pull outs, bands got promoted LOL

6 minutes ago, jonnytee1 said:

In 2018 didnt they start off with other bands on the top line and as other acts got announced they moved down? I'm sure they did 

As opposed to recent years with all the pull outs, bands got promoted LOL

Headline spots were left blank, some acts got shifted from 2nd to 3rd line etc iirc. 2nd and 3rd line get split between 4 stages anyway, so wouldn't read too much into it.

Edited by clasher

Does anyone know how quikcly tickets re likely to sell out? Is it over a few days/weeks or will it be fastest finger first like some of the more exclusive festivals? 

Do people think there will there be some other big/medium-sized names added or just smaller bands and DJs after this?

Also, why are so many people concerned about the venue? Has it been announced where it is yet?

17 minutes ago, 49Lawson said:

Definitely, this is very true!

If it had still been at IFEMA I think I’d have rebooked our hotel from last year; Lil Nas X,  Sigur Ros, Franz, Paolo, The Amazons, QOTSA, Black Keys, Tash Sultana, Puscifwr, BBC, RHCP, LG, Prodigy, The Hu. Great start that. 

I do wonder about the GNR thing though, feel that they slot in as the big headliner on the Friday but then why not announce them today if so? Unless they’re waiting for a whole tour? Or they’ve dropped the ball with an early announcement tease once more, hahah? 

How come there are so many reservations about the new venue mate? Is it in the back arse of nowhere or something?

1 minute ago, Dazrigby88 said:

How come there are so many reservations about the new venue mate? Is it in the back arse of nowhere or something?

IFEMA was a convention centre on the metro line. Getting there was easy. Getting home was a bit more of a trek although they laid on a free shuttle bus system to get you back to the city centre(ish) . I’d taxi to my hotel from there. 

the new venue is in an industrial estate by the looks of it. A fair bit out of the city. 

I had it down to an art over the last few years of being able to be sipping on a beer near Sol and me be at the festival in 25/30 mins. 

The new venue looks like a ball ache. 

2 minutes ago, Dazrigby88 said:

Mainly because I don’t think it’s been fully confirmed where it is yet mate. The last one was in a great location (if you got a nearby hotel) with good links into the city for through the day. 

I think someone mentioned in here around July time where they’re looking to have it next year but it escapes me fully. Once the location gets locked in and they announce more details of that I’ll probably commit if there’s still tickets available 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dazrigby88 said:

Does anyone know how quikcly tickets re likely to sell out? Is it over a few days/weeks or will it be fastest finger first like some of the more exclusive festivals? 

Do people think there will there be some other big/medium-sized names added or just smaller bands and DJs after this?

Also, why are so many people concerned about the venue? Has it been announced where it is yet?

I think it's highly unlikely they will sell out before the rest of the lineup is announced (which - judging by info from the other topics - won't be before January).

There are 2 more headliners to come, along with a couple of 2nd/3rd line acts I'd say. Some smaller bands and DJs too, as well as a band contest for local acts.

The new venue is supposed to be a fair bit south of the city (somewhere around Col. Marconi/Los Molinos area? not sure). Don't think it has been officially confirmed yet. Mad Cool are also notorious for being exceptionally lousy at providing such information (including ways to get to/from the site, will there be shuttles/will the metro run for longer, etc) and the last time they changed venues it resulted in a complete organizational clusterfuck that left a sour taste, despite they improved most problems the next day (and even more the next editions - this year was in large part phenomenal). Anyone that has attended the 2018 edition or has read about it is worried about the venue change and with a good reason.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, clasher said:

I think it's highly unlikely they will sell out before the rest of the lineup is announced (which - judging by info from the other topics - won't be before January).

There are 2 more headliners to come, along with a couple of 2nd/3rd line acts I'd say. Some smaller bands and DJs too, as well as a band contest for local acts.

The new venue is supposed to be a fair bit south of the city (somewhere around Col. Marconi/Los Molinos area? not sure). Don't think it has been officially confirmed yet. Mad Cool are also notorious for being exceptionally lousy at providing such information (including ways to get to/from the site, will there be shuttles/will the metro run for longer, etc) and the last time they changed venues it resulted in a complete organizational clusterfuck that left a sour taste, despite they improved most problems the next day (and even more the next editions - this year was in large part phenomenal). Anyone that has attended the 2018 edition or has read about it is worried about the venue change and with a good reason.

It says on the website that it's at Feria De Madrid which is to the North East of the city centre I think... Or is that the previous location? I hope not as I've just booked accommodation based on the "how to get" info on their website! 

47 minutes ago, clasher said:

So it looks like that info on their website is giving directions to the previous location.. So I've gone and booked accommodation near Nuevos Ministerios! I can see already this isn't the most organised of festivals and I haven't even booked my ticket yet!

do you know if I'll be okay staying there anyway? Is that some kind of main metro station or should I look at booking some different accommodation... This already seems complicated! haha

Does anyone know where the new venue will be? I've book accommodation close to Neuvos Ministerios based on the guidance on MC's website -- only to discover that ifo is for the previous venue!!! You'd think they would update it beforehand!

I'll be with my 12-year-old son so we definitely won't want to walk too far at night, therefore I'd need to book somewhere close to the final metro stop coming back from the festival... 

Cheers in advance 🙂