Mad Cool 2023

edge235

On 7/9/2023 at 5:22 PM, Drums Please Fab said:

Maybe it’s my old age at 38. 

I have no interest in “f**king around” or being uncomfortable. 

After reading last 4 pages I was thinking “wtf is wrong with you, all these hate”.

Now I understand you. I just came back from Exit, first time and had some frustration.

But it was not so bad like your experience, except lineup, it’s bad. Problem was with main bands like The Prodigy and Wu-Tang Clan, they were late around 30 minutes, so I almost went to other stages. And also, it was overcrowded on Prodigy. I’m too old for this sh*t. 

My input, based on only attending on the Saturday. 

This is my third MC. Previously I've attended in 2017 and 2018 at different venues.

I'm not too bothered about the aesthetics of the surrounding area, let's be honest, it's bang in the middle of a dusty industrial estate, but looking around at the perimeter from the inside, it all felt a little unfinished to me. As if it was a race for the tape and come Wednesday night, they just had to make do with what they had completed. They did seem to start the build quite late. I'm pretty sure there were some significant changes from the artist's rendering of the site they published on June 11th. The Ferris wheel and third stage were in different places, I think. And unless I'm mistaken, those light-up tower things they've had in years gone by (which were also in the artists impression) weren't there. Probably a good thing as space was limited. 

The corporate stands were everywhere! McDonald's, Coca Cola, Santander, even Disney had an area! It's hard to complain too much, it's obviously how they pay for such a stacked lineup, and I avoid them all, but it definitely feels like a cynical cash-in and they take up far too much space. 

A big issue for me was the apparent lack of space. Definitely felt a lot more crowded than previous years. Bottlenecks were a problem, particularly when transitioning from the two main stages. It was open plan before and a lot easier to navigate.

The bank of toilets in the middle was a terrible idea. On a positive note (for men), there were always urinals available but having everyone filter into the heart of the site when they needed to use the toilet is not a good way to spread the crowds. Surely, having smaller banks of toilets scattered across the site, next to each main area like every other festival on the planet is a proven system? Again, it felt like a rush and a last minute decision to place them all in the centre. The one-way system for access and egress was necessary, given the layout, but a problem for relocating friends afterwards. 

It's a bit of a mission from Villaverde Alto station to the site itself, and that diversion away from the venue to snake back around to the entrance is a puzzler. It's a good thirty minute walk at a considerable pace (in 33c heat at 5pm), so to suggest that metro station directly serves the festival is a bit of a reach. And the station is nowhere near big enough to cope with tens of thousands of people all trying to get back into the city over a two hour period. That said, they put lots of trains on, even if they were dangerously overcrowded.

The weather was fantastic, they got the start time just right, based upon when it started to get cooler. The sound from each stage was spot-on. Every act I saw I enjoyed. I got exactly what I expected from RHCP: 25% jamming, 35% dull, 40% hits. 

I'm sure they'll learn from the issues. The important thing is that they try and put down some roots at this venue, rather than keep swapping sites. Only then will they be able to sort out the transport, layout and infrastructure problems.

I'd probably go again for the right acts. 

I had a good time enjoying music with my mates but logistically awful

felt so far away from the metro

Area is a shithole lets not kid outselves

that Thursday queue in the sun

the one block of toilets and crushes

Saturday felt like the amount of people in there doubled

I’ll probably go back next year cause of the names you get on the lineup but Mad cool have to improve the running of this circus

• Like 1

So this site was to host Madcool, Harry Styles and a Reggaeton festival back to back. 

The Reggaeton festival has been cancelled the day before it starts due to safety and mobility concerns for the venue.

45,000 tickets sold and much confusion and consternation from punters and organisers.

I’ll have to do more reading but it seems that they took concerns from Madcool and Harry Styles on board and realised it’s a cluster f**k.

https://amp.elmundo.es/madrid/2023/07/19/64b8081ffc6c83be2f8b45a2.html

Edited by Drums Please Fab

https://www.eldiario.es/madrid/somos/reggaeton-beach-festival-admite-cancelacion-madrid-atribuye-disputa-politica-plenas-elecciones_1_10396468.amp.html

“Unfavourable reports from fire fighters, noise limits exceeded every day, kilometre long queues out of Harry Styles”. 

Its quite clear the location they have chosen is unsuitable. Even the video footage of the empty site today painted a grim picture. It’s a kip.

2 hours ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

PS Madrid got cancelled as well. Not looking very bright for big festivals in Madrid atm.

And in the Primavera announcement they state (regarding Madrid) "the city does not have a site able to host an event of this magnitude and format in terms of audience demands, production requirements and musical show".

Edited by Drums Please Fab