Green Man 2023

March Hare

3 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Their London date is 20,000 capacity Gunnersbury Park. If they aren't headline level for a festival that isn't much bigger, who that they could realistically get is?

Yeah I think BG's supergroup status (particularly for this crowd) could sit them up top quite comfortably. 

50 minutes ago, WMWMOfficial said:

I honestly think that it's still a huge possibility that Sigur Ros headline, or an act that everyone has forgotten about and will be announced as a UK Festival Exclusive. I'm not a HUGE encyclopaedia when it comes to who may be announced but honestly just think it's best to keep imagination open 🙂

Sigur Ros are ruled out sadly as they are a U.K. exclusive elsewhere this summer. 

That Halifax Piece Hall show puts  Boygenius the size of War on Drugs, Weller and others of headline size...it just feels, I dunno, a leap that there is time for them to crossover to have the name recognition to headline Green Man. Kiwanuka for instance had a 6 music album of the year (artist in residence too maybe?) and the theme tune on a hit HBO show and I still think some were a tad underwhelmed with the name (though surely not performance). It's a good get for a sub headline though innit, 4th on the poster sort of thing.

Singles have been good but ultimately it's the side project of someone who sold out 2 nights at mcr apollo, played the john peel and headlined the 2nd stage of Latitude last summer. We're not talking a Taylor Swift side project here, Bridgers solo is probably only just out of reach whilst on the crest of a wave. It's probably also her ceiling isn't it? There's not going to be a time she headlines Glasto in my opinion.

24 minutes ago, retromoz said:

Well....i had to google Boygenius. So, despite being mildly interested in hearing some.....I think it would be underwhelming for me.

But Im not their 'target demographic'. So theres no hate from me. 🙂

Six music play their song $20 every 5 minutes

36 minutes ago, timeforheroes said:

That Halifax Piece Hall show puts  Boygenius the size of War on Drugs, Weller and others of headline size...it just feels, I dunno, a leap that there is time for them to crossover to have the name recognition to headline Green Man

So they're playing at a level of venue that headliner size bands do - and that's comfortably the smaller of their two announced UK gigs - but they aren't headliner size? The idea that they aren't regarded as a huge deal for what in the whole scope of the UK festival summer is a mid-size event doesn't add up.

2 hours ago, zico martin said:

Boygenius cant be headliners though surely?

They can for me, I'd be barrier!

Seriously, while I get their dedicated material is pretty limited, their collective catalogue (& Bridger's own pulling power) would justify. Watch the tickets go in seconds for their gig.

2 minutes ago, riverlodge said:

They can for me, I'd be barrier!

Seriously, while I get their dedicated material is pretty limited, their collective catalogue (& Bridger's own pulling power) would justify. Watch the tickets go in seconds for their gig.

It's likely they'll also all be playing solo songs in the set, as they did during their late 2021 US tour.

(I'm doing what I'd been cautioning against and just assuming a huge name, aren't I? Call it rebound from the EOTR forum's Future Islands Wars)

Edited by SweepingTheNation

24 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

So they're playing at a level of venue that headliner size bands do - and that's comfortably the smaller of their two announced UK gigs - but they aren't headliner size? The idea that they aren't regarded as a huge deal for what in the whole scope of the UK festival summer is a mid-size event doesn't add up.

Well not really, it's possible to have cult following and not broader appeal that would make someone a good festival headliner. Especially as GM is sold out, they aren't relying on them for ticket sales.

26 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

It's likely they'll also all be playing solo songs in the set, as they did during their late 2021 US tour.

(I'm doing what I'd been cautioning against and just assuming a huge name, aren't I? Call it rebound from the EOTR forum's Future Islands Wars)

doing some solo songs in the set changes everything though!  has phoebe played GM before?

16 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Also ya'll mad if you don't think Boy Genius are big enough to headline! Hats off to Green Man if they've managed to bag them.

I really don't think it's as clear cut as that though. If they get announced as headlining loads of people with tickets are going to say "who?" and loads without are going to start hitting up resale sites saying "Please!", and if the album is just OK, it could be a fairly quiet main stage area. 

There's a reason bands like Hot Chip occupy a higher billing than their current popularity, it's safe reliable recognition for a variety of punters. Boygenius is the absolute opposite of that right now. I'm not saying they won't or shouldn't headline, I just think there's more to consider here than how many people would buy a ticket to their own show at this present moment.

• Upvote 1

Boygenius is a great booking for GM on paper.  They are probably the most hyped up super group (or indeed band full stop) on earth at the moment and this will be their debut U.K. show.  It’s a great get for GM. 

Whether or not they put on a good headline show in reality is another matter…I will probably be elsewhere.  Hopefully caroline headlining Walled Garden or Fever Ray headlining Far Out.