Green Man 2023

March Hare

On 12/17/2022 at 1:01 AM, lessthanwill1 said:

Finally saw BCNR post-Issac this evening at Bush Hall.  Thought it was pretty average tbh and a bit disappointing.  Think I saw @JHad in the crowd but didn’t spot you afterwards, hope you enjoyed! 

I also thought this both times ive seen them. I am hopeful though that an official release of the songs will make it better. There's lots to digest and I think a lot of the new stuff leans itself more into a studio recording with the gentle details to some of the songs.

I have bought a ticket to see them next year in the hope the album will be out by then. If not, I will likely sell the ticket as I want to digest the music beforehand.

2 hours ago, collectivisedfarming said:

I'd love to see Fever Ray again, I guess they'd be a far out headliner if they did? And wilco a headliner. I've never seen Wilco before. Kokoroko, Les Savy Fav and Tropical Fuck Storm would be very welcome from that lineup too. 

Wilco are also playing Moseley Folk Festival so I suspect they'd be more likely for EOTR that same weekend.

On 12/21/2022 at 1:54 PM, Enkidu said:

Shaping up to be another great lineup, no surprises there. Wondering if we should make a spreadsheet like they have for glastonbury. 

Have been trying to keep the list below updated. It’s not comprehensive!

The possibility of Devo and The Walkmen is pretty exciting imo.  I’m not a mega fan of either (but like them) but neither have played in the U.K. for a long time as far as I’m aware.  I think Devo last played in 2009 and The Walkmen in 2013 (including at EOTR, where they played 2nd down on the 2nd stage). 

Electric Picnic (1-3 Sep): Amyl & The Sniffers 

Canela Party (23-26 Aug): Les Savy Fav, Crack Cloud, Nilufer Yanya, Tropical Fuck Storm, Shame, Osees, Black Midi, Porridge Radio, Panda Bear & Sonic Boom

Paredes de coura (16-19 Aug): Walkmen, Wilco, Fever Ray, Yin Yin, Les Savy Fav, Tropical Fuck Storm, Kokoroko

Pstereo (18-19 Aug): Aurora, Protomartyr 

Flow Festival (13-15 Aug): Devo, Suede, Jockstrap, Polachek. 

Sziget (10-15 Aug) : Jamie XX, Moderat, Amyl and the Sniffers, The Comet is Coming, Los Bitchos, Kelly Lee Owens, Mall Grab

We Out Here (10-14 Aug): Could in theory see anyone on the line up at GM (e.g. Black Midi, Sun Ra Arkestra, Cymande, Makaya McCraven, Wu-Lu, Moin etc.)

Oya (8-12 Aug): Amyl and The Sniffers, Devo, Caroline Polachek, Jockstrap, Shygirl, Makaya McCraven 

Off Festival (4-6 Aug): Panda Bear & Sonic Boom, Off!, Melody's Echo Chambers, The Staples Jr. Singers, Gilla Band, Tropical Fuck Storm, Haru Nemuri and Big Joanie. 

All Together Now (4-6 Aug): Jamie XX, Iggy Pop, Lankum, Kelly Lee Owens, Daniel Avery

Haldern Pop (3-5 Aug)Katy J Pearson, Comet is Coming, Golden Dregs and Sorry.

Edited by lessthanwill1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/22/2022 at 2:40 PM, lessthanwill1 said:

The possibility of Devo and The Walkmen is pretty exciting imo.  I’m not a mega fan of either (but like them) but neither have played in the U.K. for a long time as far as I’m aware.  I think Devo last played in 2009 and The Walkmen in 2013 (including at EOTR, where they played 2nd down on the 2nd stage). 

Canela Party (23-26 Aug): Les Savy Fav, Crack Cloud, Nilufer Yanya, Tropical Fuck Storm, Shame, Osees, Black Midi, Porridge Radio, Panda Bear & Sonic Boom

Paredes de coura (16-19 Aug): Walkmen, Wilco, Fever Ray, Yin Yin, Les Savy Fav, Tropical Fuck Storm, Kokoroko

Sziget (10-15 Aug) : Jamie XX, Moderat, Amyl and the Sniffers, The Comet is Coming, Los Bitchos, Kelly Lee Owens, Mall Grab

We Out Here (10-14 Aug): Could in theory see anyone on the line up at GM (e.g. Black Midi, Sun Ra Arkestra, Cymande, Makaya McCraven, Wu-Lu, Moin etc.)

Oya (8-12 Aug): Amyl and The Sniffers, Devo, Caroline Polachek, Jockstrap, Shygirl, Makaya McCraven 

Off Festival (4-6 Aug): Panda Bear & Sonic Boom, Off!, Melody's Echo Chambers, The Staples Jr. Singers, Gilla Band, Tropical Fuck Storm, Haru Nemuri and Big Joanie. 

All Together Now (4-6 Aug): Jamie XX, Iggy Pop, Lankum, Kelly Lee Owens, Daniel Avery

We really need to swerve Jamie XX, he is certainly not up to scratch for any headline slots after seeing him at Forwards in Bristol and watching the mass exodus of people about 20 minutes in.

On 12/22/2022 at 2:40 PM, lessthanwill1 said:

I really want Iggy Pop!

I'm reality though, almost all of those you've listed I'm either already a fan of or would go to see through curiosity.

First time I've begun to feel excitement for 2023 really, seeing this and the acts that are around!

20 hours ago, scatteredscreens said:

We really need to swerve Jamie XX, he is certainly not up to scratch for any headline slots after seeing him at Forwards in Bristol and watching the mass exodus of people about 20 minutes in.

I’ve not seen him before so can’t comment! I wouldn’t see him but I wouldn’t be totally against it as I quite like the variety an electronic act brings to the headliners. 

18 hours ago, JHad said:

I really want Iggy Pop!

I'm reality though, almost all of those you've listed I'm either already a fan of or would go to see through curiosity.

First time I've begun to feel excitement for 2023 really, seeing this and the acts that are around!

Yeah Iggy would be great.  He’s on 6music a lot so I’m surprised he’s not done it before tbh.  Maybe this year is the year! 

Agree that there are some great bands around at the right time this year already! 

1 hour ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Fri

MS: Sigur Ros / Alvvays

FO: Fever Ray 

Sat

MS: Little Simz / John Cale

FO: Osees

Sunday

MS: Yeah Yeah Yeahs / The Walkmen

FO: Devo 

Would be strong. Not sure John Cale would be that high after subbing the second stage at EOTR a few years ago but you never know. Fever Ray and Devo would be very cool but Sigur Ros and YYYs don't really interest me these days. Simz would be excellent but saw her a lot last year. 

I think all three headliner predictions are very possible. 

On 12/28/2022 at 9:09 PM, Kaboom Boxer said:

Seeing a few posts about him clearing fields. What’s so bad about his sets?

His Park headline set at Glasto 2015 was incredible. Reckon he'd smash it at Green Man.

Also all this talk of The Walkmen is getting me very excited.

On 1/3/2023 at 10:49 AM, 1986 said:

Sorry if this has been asked but is there a roundabout time of year we should expect something to drop? Their first poster tends to be pretty full doesn't it?

Probably around the end of the month if previous (normal) years are anything to go by. Here are the dates of main lineup announcement from last few years. There are always some added later (including some headliners sometimes), but as you say, the first poster tends to be fairly full:

10 Feb 2022

16 July 2021 (COVID uncertainty)

29 Jan 2020

29 Jan 2019

25 Jan 2018

26 Jan 2017

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

On 11/16/2022 at 6:57 PM, lessthanwill1 said:

YEAH YEAH YEAHS / SIGUR ROS / FIRST AID KIT / SELF ESTEEM

The Walkmen / Alvvays / Osees

Kelly Les Owens / Sudan Archives / Gwenno

Cymande / Richard Dawson / Squid / Weyes Blood

Gilla Band / Jane Weaver / Goat / Lankum

Beth Orton / Natalia Lafourcade / Kelela 

Unknown Mortal Orchestra / Tropical Fuck Storm / Just Mustard

Les Savy Fav / Julia Jacklin / Otoboke Beaver

Courtney Marie Andrews / Bambara / Oscar Jerome

PVA / The Beths / Makaya McCraven / Horsegirl

Etran de L’Air / Courting / Special Interest 

Mabe Fratti / Nduduzo Makhathini / Horse Lords

Aoiffe Nessa Frances / caroline / Theon Cross

Brooke Bentham / Heartworms / HighSchool

No Windows / Cowboyy / H.L Grail / O.

Late to this post, but HONESTLY I'd be over the moon if this was the line-up, ESPECIALLY with Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Sigur Ros AND UMO there 😄 BRING IT ON PLEASE 😄 

I was trying to sketch out a headliner prediction and realised while there's a lot of potential Far Out headliners and Mountain subs there's not a lot of potential candidates around, especially British ones. YYYs and First Aid Kit are decent shouts but the domestic names that this thread has suggested are either maybe not big enough (John Cale subbed EOTR's second stage last time he was over during festival season) or unlikely (Simz)

8 hours ago, scatteredscreens said:

With them seemingly releasing a new album this year, and whilst they may be too big, I'd love to see the national at Green Man one year.

"The" band of my adult life, a self confessed Sad Dad, and having seen them a dozen times (first in little old Rescue Rooms way back for Alligator) this would make me weep with joy. And I don't think it is impossible.