Green Man 2023

March Hare

4 hours ago, benali said:

I guess I'm middle class now but I certainly wasn't when I started going to festivals in 1992 and have never stopped.

If going to festivals turns you into a middle class person perhaps festivals should be part of the government's 'levelling up' programme.

On 10/2/2022 at 12:38 PM, Hooskerdoo said:

I don't want to be personal, and you know yourself best, but Green Man is absolutely the most middle-class of festivals, which on the whole have become a more middle-class pursuit (with exceptions, of course). 

I have to respectfully disagree with your analysis of campervan ownership in the public at large. Sure, there's a "cool camping" scene for the hobbyists, but campers and caravans have traditionally been a means for the less well-off to enjoy affordable family holidays (and in the case of motorhomes, retirement) while the more affluent sun themselves abroad.

But leaving aside all that, your point seems to be that if someone can afford one thing that means they should automatically be able to afford another. And even if that was true, nobody likes to be taken advantage of, whatever their class or financial status.

You want the most middle class festival? Go to latitude, mate!

• Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 11:42 AM, incident said:

Compared to the Car Parks? There absolutely is extra security in the CV fields at Glastonbury. Loads of it. All of the festival-operated CV fields are behind fences (not The Superfence, but "regular" green fencing panels), whereas most of the Car Parks aren't. There's also full 24/7 monitored CCTV coverage which again they don't have in the Car Parks. Just because you didn't notice it doesn't mean it's not there. Take a look for the big tall poles with cameras on top next year.

You may not like the fact - but it absolutely does cost any festival significantly more to provide for Campervan users. Several times more. No, you're not getting "luxuries", but that's not what you're paying for - you're paying for being a massively inefficient use of space compared to someone who's packed into the regular campsites.

Maybe I'm wrong but I didn't see a single CCTV setup, and there was no security in the field we were in for campers

I'm not really sure how it's "massively inefficient" use of space either considering our van is about the same footprint as a large tent, and considerably smaller than some of the absolute monstrosity setups you see at Glasto with XL family tents around huge gazebo's. Should we be charging people based on tent size now? (That's also ignoring the fact that most people will have a car taking up car park space + tent space on site, a campervan combines these) 

20220621_211104~2.jpg

On 10/2/2022 at 1:00 AM, scatteredscreens said:

Depends what car you buy. Plus a car can be used for work and wider things. Like I said it's got such a niche use, you can't tell me the average person has a camper van unless they're at least middle class. Again, not saying you can't be working class and have one, it's just rare. It's not a dig, just an observation.

It's like you've just missed the global pandemic and cost of living crisis. There's a huge uptake in it because people can't afford to go on holiday (apart from the middle class and up)

A van can also be used for work, or even your job. The idea that everyone in a campervan are middle class and driving an £80k VW transporter is just silly. Most are self builds and can be done for less than the cost of a single holiday rental.

• Upvote 2

I'm not getting into anymore debates about the middle class-ness of Camper vans anymore. My point wasn't even around 80k camper vans, even if you got one on the cheap/converted a vehicle, it costs a lot of money and given everything going on it's probably not gonna be where people sink their money. If people can't afford to go on holiday they're not going to splurge loads of money to convert a camper van, it just doesn't happen. You're either vastly underestimating your average income or you're a very select group of people who've decided to specifically save for one item.

39 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

And just so it's out there, no hard feelings to any middle class people (lol) or people who own a campervan. I'm just saying you probably can afford the campervan slot price at GM.

Can we get back to predicting some acts?

yes, we need to talk about possible acts now as I'll need to do plenty of homework before next August. i knew very few acts when the last line up was announced but now i look back on it as a vintage year!

48 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

And just so it's out there, no hard feelings to any middle class people (lol) or people who own a campervan. I'm just saying you probably can afford the campervan slot price at GM.

Can we get back to predicting some acts?

Ha, you don't get off that easily! If you want to end the conversation, that's fine. But your point still seems to be that we are not entitled to an opinion about being fleeced for an extortionate campervan fee, because we are all too rich for it to make any difference to us. And you are very wrong about that.

Still, predictions. Nick Cave?

12 minutes ago, Hooskerdoo said:

Ha, you don't get off that easily! If you want to end the conversation, that's fine. But your point still seems to be that we are not entitled to an opinion about being fleeced for an extortionate campervan fee, because we are all too rich for it to make any difference to us. And you are very wrong about that.

Still, predictions. Nick Cave?

You're blowing this way out of proportion, get a grip.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

You're blowing this way out of proportion, get a grip.

OK, I was ready to move on. But you can't just say a thing that isn't true and expect to be able to change the subject when you are challenged. Unless you are actually a serving government minister, in which case it's fine. 

I'd love to have the O Sees return.  Saw them for the first time at Green Man a couple of years ago on one of the smaller stages, having never heard them before, and was blown away.  I'd also vote for the Saw Doctors (great festival sing alongs) and Show of Hands (UK's finest folk roots band).

I know they recently (2017 might be recent) played, but King Gizzard has put out so much music since they last played they are essentially a new booking and one I would love to see. They mentioned they would be back in the UK in 2023 so I'm crossing my fingers. 

Elsewhere, I would love to see Jockstrap be given a proper slot that isn't a late Walled Garden one. They have gone from strength to strength since they first played and with this new album would definitely be a crowd draw!

More Preen!

2 minutes ago, moonage505 said:

I know they recently (2017 might be recent) played, but King Gizzard has put out so much music since they last played they are essentially a new booking and one I would love to see. They mentioned they would be back in the UK in 2023 so I'm crossing my fingers. 

Elsewhere, I would love to see Jockstrap be given a proper slot that isn't a late Walled Garden one. They have gone from strength to strength since they first played and with this new album would definitely be a crowd draw!

More Preen!

I'd love King Gizz and or OSees.

I saw king gizzard like 3 times at primavera and they delivered three completely different sets. As you've said they've put out so much since they last played so be good to see em again.

New Jockstrap is so good. Wonder if they'll finally get Caroline Polachek? 

1 minute ago, scatteredscreens said:

I'd love King Gizz and or OSees.

I saw king gizzard like 3 times at primavera and they delivered three completely different sets. As you've said they've put out so much since they last played so be good to see em again.

New Jockstrap is so good. Wonder if they'll finally get Caroline Polachek? 

Was meant to catch King Gizz this summer for the first time but it was right after Stu's Crohn's announcement 😞

Predictions based on new/upcoming releases:

Weyes Blood, Alvvays, Stella Donnelley, Sudan Archives, Julia Jacklin, Jockstrap, Courting, Beth Orton, The Beths, PVA, Mabe Fratti, Skullcrusher, The Big Moon, Say Sue Me, Iceage, No Age, Preoccupations, Rachika Nayar, Courtney Marie Andrews, Bonny Light Horseman, Gilla Band, Indigo Sparke, Bill Callahan, The Soft Pink Truth, Aoiffe Nessa Frances, Nathalie Lafoucarde, Special Interest. 

This has to be the year Osees headline the Far Out and blitz through the greatest set the festival has ever seen. 

Some stuff I'd love to see:

HTRK, Joanne Robertson, Maxine Funke, Gia Margaret, Dummy, Pretty Sick, Slift. 

Smaller band predictions:

Projector, Cowboyy, Gently Tender, Heartworms, Queens Head, Famous, Regressive Left, Welly, Bleach Lab, Sheafs, Katie Anne Malco, Splint, Heavy Lungs, Candy's Room, Mui Zyu, Tummyache, Krush Puppies, Public Body, Bishopskin, For Breakfast.

59 minutes ago, benali said:

This has to be the year Osees headline the Far Out and blitz through the greatest set the festival has ever seen. 

Some stuff I'd love to see:

HTRK, Joanne Robertson, Maxine Funke, Gia Margaret, Dummy, Pretty Sick, Slift. 

Smaller band predictions:

Projector, Cowboyy, Gently Tender, Heartworms, Queens Head, Famous, Regressive Left, Welly, Bleach Lab, Sheafs, Katie Anne Malco, Splint, Heavy Lungs, Candy's Room, Mui Zyu, Tummyache, Krush Puppies, Public Body, Bishopskin, For Breakfast.

Lovely suggestions as always!

I camped next to the (now) drummer from Projector at GM in 2019, so that's them as good as confirmed! 😛

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Predictions based on new/upcoming releases:

Weyes Blood, Alvvays, Stella Donnelley, Sudan Archives, Julia Jacklin, Jockstrap, Courting, Beth Orton, The Beths, PVA, Mabe Fratti, Skullcrusher, The Big Moon, Say Sue Me, Iceage, No Age, Preoccupations, Rachika Nayar, Courtney Marie Andrews, Bonny Light Horseman, Gilla Band, Indigo Sparke, Bill Callahan, The Soft Pink Truth, Aoiffe Nessa Frances, Nathalie Lafoucarde, Special Interest. 

let me know when you're 'greenman 23 predictions' playlist is ready on Spotify 😉

With complete randomness, and with zero inside info, would love to see GM try and get / get back: Bill RJ, SVE, Panic Shack, whatever outfit Ben Kane decides to create, Twilight Sad, King Hannah, Low Cut Connie, Stella D, caroline, Warhaus, Luke la Volpe and L'Objectif.

In realistic mode, feels highly likely we'll get Big Moon (now up to Roundhouse gig size) and (with a x3 date Ally Pally gig run) Four Tet.