Sziget 2023

#1SzigetFan

about that EDM headliner, assuming there will be one
from 2016 on Sziget booked David Guetta, The Chainsmokers, Kygo, Martin Garrix and Calvin Harris. 

the issue with EDM is that the scene is basically revolving around the same names since 2013, and very few acts reach in bringing something new to the scene and none of them gets the popularity the big names Sziget usually books as headliners (eg Fred Again, Rufus Du Sol, etc)

the only actual "big" mainstream edm acts that haven't been booked recently are Tiesto, Armin Van Buuren and Swedish House Mafia

I've read Armin's name here, but I honestly think his reach in the mainstream is almost non-existent and that's why I'd rule him out

SHM are very popular in the scene, and in 2023 they'll tour festivals - that said, I honestly think they ask for a way bigger setup than other djs and in 2022 their tour went pretty badly, their album flopped commercially (the cancellations that someone mentioned here were due to low ticket sales) and I can't see them actually happening (might be wrong here)

with Leaks confirming that Chainsmokers won't be there and ruling out Calvin Harris for sure and I think Kygo and Garrix as well, I think they'll book either Tiesto or David Guetta, the only two somehow still capable to top charts in 2022 and kinda evolve their genre (thanks to other artists coproducing for them ofc)

they also might do something unexpected and move towards a (slightly) more underground headliner such as Paul Kalkbrenner, Eric Prydz or deadmau5, I'm not seeing that happen but it would be a nice surprise

Edited by cirez
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

also, I've never seen The Weeknd's name mentioned here, he's one of the most successful artists on the planet right now and he'll tour European stadiums (maybe he won't do festivals but who knows) next summer, it would be a great booking in my opinion and it would also be a kind of a wink to an hip hop headliner, since 2022 edition totally lacked one

about that hip hop headliner, I'm not really into the genre so I can't say for sure, but Travis Scott has been announced for iDays in Milan today for the end of june - his name is pretty controversial for what happened in Houston and I don't know how much Sziget organization cares about that, but he's around as well

1 hour ago, davidoffescassi said:

Odesza should be the electronic headliner for Sziget. Those guys are amazing

I don't think they are big enough to headline, sub-head maybe. 

Looking at the number of montly listeners on Spotify they have 5.4M, while other sub-headliners from this year, Sam Fender 4.5M, Rufus Du Sol 4.7M, Stromae 9.1M, Bastille 17.3M, Anne-Marie 22.1M and Lewis Capaldi 29.6M. 😬 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

Idk, that's just my point of view

4 hours ago, cirez said:

from 2016 on Sziget booked David Guetta, The Chainsmokers, Kygo, Martin Garrix and Calvin Harris. 

the issue with EDM is that the scene is basically revolving around the same names since 2013, and very few acts reach in bringing something new to the scene and none of them gets the popularity the big names Sziget usually books as headliners (eg Fred Again, Rufus Du Sol, etc)

the only actual "big" mainstream edm acts that haven't been booked recently are Tiesto, Armin Van Buuren and Swedish House Mafia

I've read Armin's name here, but I honestly think his reach in the mainstream is almost non-existent and that's why I'd rule him out

SHM are very popular in the scene, and in 2023 they'll tour festivals - that said, I honestly think they ask for a way bigger setup than other djs and in 2022 their tour went pretty badly, their album flopped commercially (the cancellations that someone mentioned here were due to low ticket sales) and I can't see them actually happening (might be wrong here)

with Leaks confirming that Chainsmokers won't be there and ruling out Calvin Harris for sure and I think Kygo and Garrix as well, I think they'll book either Tiesto or David Guetta, the only two somehow still capable to top charts in 2022 and kinda evolve their genre (thanks to other artists coproducing for them ofc)

they also might do something unexpected and move towards a (slightly) more underground headliner such as Paul Kalkbrenner, Eric Prydz or deadmau5, I'm not seeing that happen but it would be a nice surprise

I think Tiesto is unlikely in all honesty. David Guetta I think is the most likely, but why not DV&LM? They're big enough. is Zedd big enough anymore? or maybe Hardwell too but not sure he reaches a wide enough audience. 

34 minutes ago, Matt86 said:

About EDM, I would take Robin Schulz everyday. I have now accept the fact that Armin Van Buuren will not happen at Sziget.. 😢

Don't think hes big enough with dance people - feel like hes more of a radio act. The major dance festivals don't seem to book him

--

Could very well be Chemical Brothers too and the prodigy are about as well

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

Don't think hes big enough with dance people - feel like hes more of a radio act. The major dance festivals don't seem to book him

--

Could very well be Chemical Brothers too and the prodigy are about as well

he's usually in the "edm fests" , like Balaton for example.. I never saw him in general festivals to be honest 😕 that's why it would be a very nice surprise ^^

I'm afraid we might get a Major Lazer or stuff like that... 😑

4 hours ago, cirez said:

So with Leaks account liking this comment, does this "confirm"  Tiesto or David Guetta or less likely Paul Kalkbrenner/Eric Prydz/deadmau5 as DJ headliner?

Edited by dyma7

12 hours ago, cirez said:

I was wondering why nobody was mentioning Tiësto before…. 

He is huge for 20 years now and i don’t know if he ever played at Sziget… 

32 minutes ago, gfa said:

RHCP fit very well, even if they are known for being shit live

I think they got better with Frusciante's return, I would like them to be there to be honest. 😄 

Btw, where is the other guy with leaks? @chunkychips127 usually pops up 48-24h before the announcement.

Edited by #1SzigetFan
  • Thanks 1