Cost of Living and Glastonbury

Crazyfool01

cost of living and Glastonbury   

344 members have voted

1. 1. with the cost of living rising will this impact the decision to buy Glastonbury tickets ?

• Yes ... im already priced out
    • I will try in oct but a decent chance I wont pay off balance
    • I will try in Oct and it likely ill pay off balance but not 100% sure
    • I will purchase them as usual and pay off as usual

2 minutes ago, phillyfaddle said:

My concern is that they’ll have no option but to put ticket prices up significantly. There’s no price cap for business energy usage. When small enterprises (pubs, takeaways) are seeing their quarterly bills rising from £2k to £12k, I can’t imagine what the costs of running all the stages is going to be (let alone traders’ stalls). Unless the government acts now - which they won’t, because they’re absolute f*ckers in thrall to big business - it’s looking grim. After 14 festivals, this is the first year I’m thinking hard about whether to try for tickets 😢

I think if it was looking like the costs of running it were going to be that crazy and ticket prices would need to go up accordingly, they would probably consider not running it at all surely? 

17 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I think if it was looking like the costs of running it were going to be that crazy and ticket prices would need to go up accordingly, they would probably consider not running it at all surely? 

Not run it at all?

It's a national institution (this is not a good thing), like Wimbledon, The Grand National, Last Night of the Proms etc

There'll just be more middle class types.

Edited by Skip997

11 minutes ago, phillyfaddle said:

There’s no price cap for business energy usage. When small enterprises (pubs, takeaways) are seeing their quarterly bills rising from £2k to £12k, I can’t imagine what the costs of running all the stages is going to be (let alone traders’ stalls)

The festival isn’t in too bad of a place for this as the majority of power is provided by generations running on bio fuels which isn’t going up as much as gas and electricity. 

Im sure they will do their utmost to keep the basic ticket as low as possible but recoup cash from other sources such as worthy view, merchandise , traders rental  etc. The  cost of running any festival will be up significantly with the cost of fuel, transportation, wages and I’m sure bands will be looking for higher fees as their costs will have increased. Bear in mind also that most of the population will have less disposable cash to spend on entertainment, it’s going to be a bit of a juggling act for organisers of every festival to pitch their prices at a decent level.  Glastonbury will probably be least affected due to the huge interest it generates. 

2 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

The festival isn’t in too bad of a place for this as the majority of power is provided by generations running on bio fuels which isn’t going up as much as gas and electricity. 

Knock on prices for traders is an issue, imagine how much food in general  will cost by then plus pitch plus markup. Prices for punters could be pretty mad by then 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Knock on prices for traders is an issue, imagine how much food in general  will cost by then plus pitch plus markup. Prices for punters could be pretty mad by then 

Knock on would be to expect to see less smaller traders and bigger festival traders with a lower quality product. 

26 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Knock on would be to expect to see less smaller traders and bigger festival traders with a lower quality product. 

Bring back the Growler!

If you’re looking for low cost per calorie. 

Personally I’d rather bring more of my own food than eat one of those again

29 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Can go either way though I have noticed locally that actually some higher priced independents seem to be doing better than big chains. We have a chain pub that does bang average food at the end of the street and it used to be heaving but it's always pretty dead these days whereas a few decent independent places always seem to be busy. I suspect plenty of people are being more choosy about when they eat out and so are treating themselves to something nice when they do rather than nipping to closest convenient place more often. I know that's what we have been doing. Eating out much less often but making the ones we go for count by making sure they are good quality.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Neil said:

traders are billed for their electricity usage.

How do they do that?  Is it metered or just a fixed rate per size of pitch?  Is there any incentive for traders reducing their usage / having their own solar panels to provide some of the energy?

Just interested 

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Can go either way though I have noticed locally that actually some higher priced independents seem to be doing better than big chains. We have a chain pub that does bang average food at the end of the street and it used to be heaving but it's always pretty dead these days whereas a few decent independent places always seem to be busy. I suspect plenty of people are being more choosy about when they eat out and so are treating themselves to something nice when they do rather than nipping to closest convenient place more often. I know that's what we have been doing. Eating out much less often but making the ones we go for count by making sure they are good quality.

That possibly tracks with what we're seeing. We do bang average food too and other than the super super hot days (we have an amazing outside location) we've been way down on previous years. The feeling is that tourists are still coming (the accommodation side is still busy) but doing less when they are here. And spending a bit more on better quality when they do. 

19 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

That possibly tracks with what we're seeing. We do bang average food too and other than the super super hot days (we have an amazing outside location) we've been way down on previous years. The feeling is that tourists are still coming (the accommodation side is still busy) but doing less when they are here. And spending a bit more on better quality when they do. 

Could that be down to more affluent people holidaying here rather than abroad?  A change in demographic with the more money conscious not having a holiday at all?

22 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Yes I remember reading an article once about the psychology of these things and if your luxury item is for example going out for a nice coffee then when times are hard people tend not to go for cheaper places they just tend to go for less often. 

It's why I think Glastonbury whilst still being affected by the cost of living crisis will probably be the least affected. It's the best of the festival so those who usually go to multiple festival might decide to drop one or two of the smaller ones. As it is massively over subscribed it will still sell out. Now if it continued for a few years that could of course change but for next year they would definitely be ok. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, tarw said:

Could that be down to more affluent people holidaying here rather than abroad?  A change in demographic with the more money conscious not having a holiday at all?

Could be, although as much as you can tell these things it doesn't seem that different demographically to other years. 

3 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Advertising it like that probably doesn't help.

On 8/12/2022 at 1:41 PM, March Hare said:

It means that after the £50 deposit the balance is still less than £300 (a mental barrier)

I remember when I thought that £100 would be a mental barrier, many years ago. I was very, very wrong 🤣

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Advertising it like that probably doesn't help.

Does make me sad when we get reviews that say things like "best meal out we've had", which we do occasionally. 

Now the location does a lot of the heavy lifting but even so, what the fuck do they normally eat. 

Note, I am not in charge of marketing. 

6 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Yes I remember reading an article once about the psychology of these things and if your luxury item is for example going out for a nice coffee then when times are hard people tend not to go for cheaper places they just tend to go for less often. 

It's why I think Glastonbury whilst still being affected by the cost of living crisis will probably be the least affected. It's the best of the festival so those who usually go to multiple festival might decide to drop one or two of the smaller ones. As it is massively over subscribed it will still sell out. Now if it continued for a few years that could of course change but for next year they would definitely be ok. 

Great point that second paragraph

2 hours ago, fred quimby said:

I reckon more cost cutting at next years festival

In what areas? Hopefully with the new Arcadia, Block9 fixed up etc these should be balanced out a bit

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’d say there won’t be a new arcadia till year after next for definate 

You think? In fairness it wasn't made out to be a final send out for the spider and i'd be chuffed to be able to enjoy it for another year myself

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

You think? In fairness it wasn't made out to be a final send out for the spider and i'd be chuffed to be able to enjoy it for another year myself

Yep it’s gonna be spider again … gives them a bit more time to work on whatever is new in the pipeline … it’s an easy one to save costs with no backlash in terms of there being no change and it dissapearing .