Tramlines 2023 and Hillsborough Gigs

stanh

2 hours ago, SleepingGiants said:

2022 had two headliners both worthy of Leeds festival headline slots (MSE and MSW level). Only The Courteeners from any of the other headliners would be considered for a major slot such as that.

didn't realise my opinion on which acts i like had to be based off whether they could headline Leeds festival 😂

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

And what is it that you’ve heard?

There's not many around to headline mid-size fests this year, most looking at playing their own gigs or sub slots at RandL, TRNSMT even IOW. 

As a result, Superstruct are reaching lower to find their headline acts - this is the broad information I have been told from a very reliable source. So lineup will not be out for a while and the quality may not match that of previous years.

53 minutes ago, James4 said:

There's not many around to headline mid-size fests this year, most looking at playing their own gigs or sub slots at RandL, TRNSMT even IOW. 

As a result, Superstruct are reaching lower to find their headline acts - this is the broad information I have been told from a very reliable source. So lineup will not be out for a while and the quality may not match that of previous years.

That’s exactly what @JBarbour has said here which is the most reliable source of info 

5 hours ago, James4 said:

Supergrass all three days. The ninth circle of hell. 

8 hours ago, sisco said:

That’s exactly what @JBarbour has said here which is the most reliable source of info 

2018 is definitely the Tramlines headliners I'd like the most. It is a festival I looked and think often is that what they call the mest medium festival party of the year.

NHW is also lacking this year minus Pulp. I'm still surprised they've accepted that slot but I guess it is 50k

4 minutes ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

What would your ideal headliners be for 2023 to have an ‘old Tramlines’ feel?

it's not so much the headliners that bother me, more that it has just turned into a soulless inner city fest like everything else when it used to have independent events in the city centre. Bars and other venues used to get involved and the choice of act was much broader. And it was also free, or about 20/30 quid up until it turned into what it is now.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

it's not so much the headliners that bother me, more that it has just turned into a soulless inner city fest like everything else when it used to have independent events in the city centre. Bars and other venues used to get involved and the choice of act was much broader. And it was also free, or about 20/30 quid up until it turned into what it is now.

Fair comment. Have you tried Neighbourhood Festival in Manchester? Has a similar feel to what you describe. Couple of decent sized clubs along with a ton of small student bars with acts spread out across the city.

Went this year and it was decent. 

2 hours ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

Fair comment. Have you tried Neighbourhood Festival in Manchester? Has a similar feel to what you describe. Couple of decent sized clubs along with a ton of small student bars with acts spread out across the city.

Went this year and it was decent. 

I havent but I have heard about it and think the format is better than the Hillsborough park thing tramlines has.

3 hours ago, scatteredscreens said:

I love the big newer feel to it, but imo the no re-entry thing has been a killer. In the previous years I loved the opportunity to check out local bars etc in between bands

14 hours ago, wro_lap said:

I love the big newer feel to it, but imo the no re-entry thing has been a killer. In the previous years I loved the opportunity to check out local bars etc in between bands

I don't. There are enough festivals up and down the country filling the space that the new format of tramlines appeals to. Old tramlines was much more inclusive and beneficial for the city as a whole instead of putting in Hillsborough Park (which is a pain in the arse to get to also!). 

I accept I'm in the minority though!

4 hours ago, thatTFBguy said:

I'm still thinking Blossoms make too much sense. Surely got to be one of the 3 headliners. Would do a hell of a job as well. 

Think it makes sense - they have a few outdoor gigs booked, fit the description of a smaller headliner getting the bump up and seemed to go down well headlining YNOT this year. Would feel like a poor booking to me personally, but i can see why they'd do it. One of their outdoor gigs is in Leeds though so maybe a bit close

5 hours ago, SleepingGiants said:

Surely not headliner level.

Did Y Not last year and smashed it. Leagues above Stereophonics who were also headlining the weekend. I'll be very happy with them personally. 

Seemed primed for the bump up to Tramlines level especially if it's a year where organisers are struggling for mid sized headliners in general. 

26 minutes ago, thatTFBguy said:

Did Y Not last year and smashed it. Leagues above Stereophonics who were also headlining the weekend. I'll be very happy with them personally. 

Seemed primed for the bump up to Tramlines level especially if it's a year where organisers are struggling for mid sized headliners in general. 

I have to agree that Blossoms are one of the least appealing I can think of

Having gone to Y Not last year, I'd take Blossoms over Stereophonics 100% and it's not close. Perfect Sunday headliner last year, and were definitely the headliner I was least looking forward to.

Can't deny it's a downgrade in size compared to Sam Fender, but I'm all for moving towards artists who have had popular songs in the last decade.

28 minutes ago, splapman said:

Having gone to Y Not last year, I'd take Blossoms over Stereophonics 100% and it's not close. Perfect Sunday headliner last year, and were definitely the headliner I was least looking forward to.

Can't deny it's a downgrade in size compared to Sam Fender, but I'm all for moving towards artists who have had popular songs in the last decade.

Have to think about what size Fender was when he was booked - he looks huge now (and he is, of course), but when they handed the money over he was a LOT smaller

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, gfa said:

Have to think about what size Fender was when he was booked - he looks huge now (and he is, of course), but when they handed the money over he was a LOT smaller

Exactly.  When he accepted the Superstruct festivals he hadn’t blown up like he has now.  Was even only due to be 4th down at Glastonbury before Doja Cat got sick.  

I do sometimes think there’s a few unrealistic expectations when we’re listing possible acts 😂

5 minutes ago, Samjones said:

Would love franz Ferdinand as a sub. Not seen them listed for any other festivals currently though

Fairly sure they are on the Benicassim poster for  next year and so are at least active, They would be a good fit for a number of the mid size UK festivals and would expect them to crop up all over the place.