Volunteering 2023

neil93

16 minutes ago, tj95 said:

A Glasto spot just came up very briefly. Gone by the time I'd pressed proceed!

I just got one right on 2pm.... keep looking and good luck folks!

So so happy, only missed '16 since '98 & more than happy to pay back into the festival and share some of my knowledge/experience with others.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, *biggreg* said:

I just got one right on 2pm.... keep looking and good luck folks!

So so happy, only missed '16 since '98 & more than happy to pay back into the festival and share some of my knowledge/experience with others.

Its great going as staff, when you've been a punter and been in those fields so often - you know the site really well, and you'll now get to go into the bits between them, and its wonderful! Imagine the whole site pristine and clean on the tuesday, all those open fields . . . this year you'll get to stroll around it all!  

• Like 1

A spot came up and I hesitated because I suddenly realised I didn't really know what I was signing up for. I.e. what does a typical shift of stewarding involve? At the same time I'd like to get out of my comfort zone and try something different.

3 minutes ago, Havors said:

got a monitor on 1 second interval, nothing has changed. 

My monitor is picking up the changes.   There's been three instances in the last 30 mins or so when they've been available

1 minute ago, Lubic87 said:

A spot came up and I hesitated because I suddenly realised I didn't really know what I was signing up for. I.e. what does a typical shift of stewarding involve?

A typical shift would be a busy hour or two while everyone tries to go in or out of the gate at once. Along with a dead 6 or 7 hours while you're stood on the gate any everyone else is either partying or sleeping.

Do you already have a ticket for this year? If so then at this point I'd stick with that. If you don't - then to be blunt you're unlikely to get one so a volunteering place is your only way in (and to my mind, would be a no brainer).

• Like 1

arriving on the Tuesday to the empty green grass is so so fun! feeling all the excitement rise as the evening goes on and knowing you're there before others is great.

(that is the only way I know the festival so I think I will miss that a little this year)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Lubic87 said:

A spot came up and I hesitated because I suddenly realised I didn't really know what I was signing up for. I.e. what does a typical shift of stewarding involve? At the same time I'd like to get out of my comfort zone and try something different.

From what I understand the roles are slightly different for different festivals but can Include wristbanding, vehicle gate checks, fire towers, tent/stage management, traffic management, general crowd interaction.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, muffpuffin said:

If I’m in the page is it worth me keeping on hitting proceed.? It says reserving but then getting the red sold out message 

Possibly. But it will only ever work if there is a place available... and you wont know because you arent on the page to see if its available haha 

You could log in on a different browser to see... and wait. Its all pretty negligible though 

Edited by Havors

12 minutes ago, Lubic87 said:

At Glastonbury it's almost entirely work on the edge of the site on gates and crossings. 

Predominantly checking wristbands, giving out programmes on the first day. As has already been said most shifts have a peak busy time and then basically not much else to do for the other 5/6 hours as they're staffed to the busy peaks.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, incident said:

A typical shift would be a busy hour or two while everyone tries to go in or out of the gate at once. Along with a dead 6 or 7 hours while you're stood on the gate any everyone else is either partying or sleeping.

Do you already have a ticket for this year? If so then at this point I'd stick with that. If you don't - then to be blunt you're unlikely to get one so a volunteering place is your only way in (and to my mind, would be a no brainer).

Ticketless for the first time this year, so never really even thought about the volunteering options before. Definitely something I will be keeping in mind for future years

2 hours ago, Westy2508 said:

So here’s a question to those in the know about Oxfam - I was lucky enough to get a space this morning but unfortunately my other half wasn’t.

We’re obviously going to keep trying but how might this impact on the chances of us getting the same shifts (assuming she does eventually get a place)? The FAQs on the website say that people signing up after the cancellation deadline (ie anyone from now onwards) has a 24 hour window to submit their shift partners, but obviously I can’t put someone down who isn’t currently going.

Any thoughts? And also a big thanks to all in this thread that have shared tips and advice - it’s been really helpful

Really pleased to say this is now a moot point as we’re both in with Oxfam after some more spaces were released this afternoon! Although thanks to those that replied in the interim period with helpful messages - definitely helped settle some jitters!

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Havors said:

got a monitor on 1 second interval, nothing has changed. 

haven't you got a place now?

assuming your monitor is checking your account and you've got a place, nothing will change! 

34 minutes ago, Greenelk said:

My monitor is picking up the changes.   There's been three instances in the last 30 mins or so when they've been available

Yeah ive just seen a couple. They are gone before I could even highlight the page though haha 

I managed to get a spot ~2pm!!! Thanks everyone for the helpful tips, I'd definitely recommend using apple/Google pay and distill to monitor the page - I think both helped me get one. Wishing everyone the best of luck for nabbing a spot, don't give up! 

• Upvote 1