Volunteering 2023

neil93

6 hours ago, SteveGlastonbury said:
Hi Guys,

My wife and I were recipients of the Shelter email of doom, but subsequently got places with Wateraid.

Shelter have just emailed this morning with the offer of two places, so they've started going through their waitlist.

I know it's a 'how long is a piece of string' question but does anyone have an opinion as to who offers the best Glastonbury experience?!

Massive good luck to anyone still waiting for a spot, looks like things are starting to move.

Steve

Have done neither but read lots on here

Shifts:  Shelter 3x8 hours, Water aid 4x6 hours

Camping site: Shelter somewhere near SE corner, Wateraid next to worthy farm

Work: Shelter is bar work in one spot, Wateraid you're probably moving around but are cleaning toilets. 

General vibe: Shelter,people here have said they'd never go back with them and they do have some poor admin. 

Wateraid, I've never heard a bad thing said about them tbh but you are cleaning shit.

Edited by Leyrulion

That was about as straightforward as I can imagine, none of it is new news but they have to tick off the list of stuff they’ve told us. Three years til we have to do it again, and that’s fine with me! See you in the oxfield from the Monday 👍🏻

16 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I only have to renew every 5 years. Can't recall chemical contamination from the last time which was only last year.

Our was 4 years but that might have changed now. 

23 minutes ago, Greenelk said:

Do we get a confirmation when our Oxfam training attendance has been verified?

Was quite shocked at the number of people that missed 1 or 2 of the test pictures due to "internet issues"

Green tick on your profile once it's updated. 

I nearly missed the second one due to "completely zoning out for a second" issues. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 3:33 PM, jaimebionic said:

No I have done it twice before and got early morning shifts but cause I haven't done it for a couple of years I'm back at the bottom of the pecking order for the good shifts 😕

I'm not much of a late night partier unfortunately, don't get me wrong I'm looking forward to having a lay in in the morning though 😂

I am sure you will still have a Great Time.

19 hours ago, SteveGlastonbury said:
Hi Guys,

My wife and I were recipients of the Shelter email of doom, but subsequently got places with Wateraid.

Shelter have just emailed this morning with the offer of two places, so they've started going through their waitlist.

I know it's a 'how long is a piece of string' question but does anyone have an opinion as to who offers the best Glastonbury experience?!

Massive good luck to anyone still waiting for a spot, looks like things are starting to move.

Steve

I’d stick with WaterAid just because a) they haven’t messed you about and b) the campsite up behind Worthy Farm is lovely - it’s next to the litterpickers. 

34 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Got my shifts through. After 5 years litterpicking John Peel I’m going to be litterpicking theatre and circus. Chuffed to bits! 

(as if I need to spend *more* time around there!) 

Actually, you can honestly say that you are one of the "Walk Abouts" in the Circus and Theatre Field !

On 4/18/2023 at 7:05 PM, Jay Pee said:

They are coming through and have had mine confirmed for a few weeks but am a returning regular volunteer.  What i would say is that if you do not get through with the initial round of acceptance for volunteering, people do drop out and spaces do sometimes come up as we get closer.  

It is not like Oxfam as the scale of their operations is much larger.

I would hazard a guess that those who have been offered a place with WaterAid (and have not yet accepted) and are also trying in the resale this weekend may then turn down the WaterAid offer.  The landscape shifts over the next few weeks.

Thanks for your reply Jay Pee, I've got lucky, as I managed to get a volunteering role with Oxfam late one night, when I was keeping an eye on their website 🙂

21 hours ago, SteveGlastonbury said:
Hi Guys,

Steve

1 hour ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

I’d stick with WaterAid just because a) they haven’t messed you about and b) the campsite up behind Worthy Farm is lovely - it’s next to the litterpickers. 

I've never done either but having read this and other threads I would tend to agree with pie and a pint.

Shelter does mean no early starts and a busy bar potentially means shift will go quickly but their campsite by all accounts isn't the quietest.

Tom's Field is generally a lot quieter and has a good atmosphere.

Also with Shelter you are constrained with getting their transport from Bristol whereas with WaterAid you have more flexibility and if you've got enough time come on site a few days early for exploration / crew bars

22 hours ago, SteveGlastonbury said:
Hi Guys,

Steve

We worked with some wateraid volunteers litterpicking after the festival, so may not be  cleaning the toilets at all. 

1 hour ago, marathonsteve said:

Actually, you can honestly say that you are one of the "Walk Abouts" in the Circus and Theatre Field !

Crikey, that's a very good point... Where's me Equity card? 😄

Edited by pie_and_a_pint

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Might try and pass myself off as an act in the hope of getting a job there in future 

As I've said before, I'm sure you make as much, if not more of, an effort than a lot of the acts who get gigs in that field.

Those of you still to do the Oxfam training, I recommend keeping a note of the answers to the questions they ask to make sure you've paid attention, and then holding onto it even after you've submitted them.

Last year there was a glitch that meant my training wasn't marked as complete and when I emailed they asked me to give them the answers again, weeks after the fact! Was just luck that I still had the notepad file saved.