Volunteering 2023

neil93

4 hours ago, tj95 said:

Has anyone had experience of what is deemed a "valid reason"? For example, I'm wanting to try in the re-sale and if successful look to cancel volunteering spot. The re-sale is usually two weeks after balance window and looks to be cutting it fine with the 8 week deadline for glasto

Screenshot_20230129-120511.png

So many people, myself included, say that they wouldn’t go back to being a general ticket holder after going with Oxfam… so I’d advise you not to cancel to be honest - you’ll have a great time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, tj95 said:

Has anyone had experience of what is deemed a "valid reason"? For example, I'm wanting to try in the re-sale and if successful look to cancel volunteering spot. The re-sale is usually two weeks after balance window and looks to be cutting it fine with the 8 week deadline for glasto

I think when putting this option to members of our group who dont have tickets yet, I worked 8 weeks back to April 22 for cancellation fate

Then based on this years gap between Ticket payment window and resale, guessed  the resale dates would be April 13th for coach and 16th for General

Guesswork though really 

Edited by leath02

7 hours ago, tj95 said:

Unless Glastonbury shift their dates the cancellation will fall after the resale window. 

16 hours ago, stuie said:

So many people, myself included, say that they wouldn’t go back to being a general ticket holder after going with Oxfam… so I’d advise you not to cancel to be honest - you’ll have a great time.

Although I've never done Glastonbury with Oxfam, I have at Shambala and second this opinion and extend it to any volunteer position. 

5 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Got a reply from Shelter.

I'm still on the list.

Apparently the email they sent out was just for 2022 volunteers as they may not be aware of the priority place thing.

Still vague about a date mind.

Glad to here it, I got confirmation that I can skip a year and get priority next year. That's my decision made, my son is 18 in Dec. I'll be back next year, hopefully withy son for first time. 

41 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Still vague about a date mind.

According to the email sent to the 2022 contingent, those with priority will be sent another email on Jan 31st with details of this years sign up, which will be at some point in February

Hello! New Person here, Glastonbury Virgin who has never been camping in my life. Volunteering for Shelter on the bars this year) (also never pulled a pint) (well hoping the planets align) and I’ve searched but still have any some questions can anyone help…..

It looks like the pick up is from Bristol and from what I know you have to go there you can’t make your own way. Is that right? Cos I’d love to park at the festival it’s £60 as opposed to £120 + Taxis

I live in Kent and am thinking if Bristol pick up is mandatory of driving, parking at Bristol Airport then cabbing it to the pick up point. 

What sort of time do the volunteer coaches leave on the Monday? 

For the airport parking you have to give a time, any guesstimates at what would be a reasonable time with allowances? Early evening? 

I’ve never pulled a pint in my life so any volunteers from previous years feel free to impart any knowledge/wisdom my way….

Thanks so much. 

I had my first volunteering role last year with the recycling crew, doing the after festival clear up. 
have applied to do it again, and are keeping fingers crossed that we get same shifts this year. 
Does anyone know when we get the confirmation of which shifts we have been assigned? 

I failed to get a ticket again but I'm in with Oxfam Priority as I did 5 festivals including Glastonbury with them last year. One of the best perks last year was realising that our Crew wristbands could get us into ANY crew bar. Normally i have relied on other crew mates getting me a pass. On realising this I managed to get backstage at  The Pyramid/Other on Friday afternoon and immediately after Macca's set. So I did, John Peel, West Holts, Arcadia,  Acoustic and Outside Circus. Only disappointment is there is a PUB with a proper sign just behind the Pyramid and me and my friend were not allowed access (probably Macca, Grohl and Bruce were having a knees up in there)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Martin Ashford said:

I failed to get a ticket again but I'm in with Oxfam Priority as I did 5 festivals including Glastonbury with them last year. One of the best perks last year was realising that our Crew wristbands could get us into ANY crew bar. Normally i have relied on other crew mates getting me a pass. On realising this I managed to get backstage at  The Pyramid/Other on Friday afternoon and immediately after Macca's set. So I did, John Peel, West Holts, Arcadia,  Acoustic and Outside Circus. Only disappointment is there is a PUB with a proper sign just behind the Pyramid and me and my friend were not allowed access (probably Macca, Grohl and Bruce were having a knees up in there)

You did well! You can’t usually get in the interstage area at all without specific bands or lanyards!

30 minutes ago, lmaltby1001 said:

I had my first volunteering role last year with the recycling crew, doing the after festival clear up. 
have applied to do it again, and are keeping fingers crossed that we get same shifts this year. 
Does anyone know when we get the confirmation of which shifts we have been assigned? 

April

1 hour ago, Haventaclue said:

Hello! New Person here, Glastonbury Virgin who has never been camping in my life. Volunteering for Shelter on the bars this year) (also never pulled a pint) (well hoping the planets align) and I’ve searched but still have any some questions can anyone help…..

It looks like the pick up is from Bristol and from what I know you have to go there you can’t make your own way. Is that right? Cos I’d love to park at the festival it’s £60 as opposed to £120 + Taxis

I live in Kent and am thinking if Bristol pick up is mandatory of driving, parking at Bristol Airport then cabbing it to the pick up point. 

What sort of time do the volunteer coaches leave on the Monday? 

For the airport parking you have to give a time, any guesstimates at what would be a reasonable time with allowances? Early evening? 

I’ve never pulled a pint in my life so any volunteers from previous years feel free to impart any knowledge/wisdom my way….

Thanks so much. 

We did our first two years volunteering at Glastonbury at the Shelter / Avalon bars. The coaches we used to catch were from Kings Cross but it was much different last year. They will train you up so no worries there. Eventuality I was confident enough to use a machine that poured 10 /12 pints in one go.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, marathonsteve said:

Yes once you start volunteering, you see a much different side to a festival no matter what volunteer role you do.

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

Yea totally agree, and much better IMO, although not every one can do it.

Done it at wilderness and would never do that as a attendee now. 

Having a shift which involved sitting next to a lake for 8 hours on a warm Sunday morning was ideal. 

Then they've also always made us do an 8am Thursday morning shift, when the site doesn't even open until midday. Which is fine by me because you're only then missing a tiny amount of festival time.

10 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Done it at wilderness and would never do that as a attendee now. 

Having a shift which involved sitting next to a lake for 8 hours on a warm Sunday morning was ideal. 

Then they've also always made us do an 8am Thursday morning shift, when the site doesn't even open until midday. Which is fine by me because you're only then missing a tiny amount of festival time.

I have done Wilderness with Warchild, a charity. If you volunteer you have to accept you maybe will miss acts that you want to see, but then again as a paying customer you will probably miss acts because they clash.

1 hour ago, Martin Ashford said:

Hi Martin I was just wondering where Outside Circus was as there was one around that area we weren’t allowed in despite several attempts 

2 hours ago, lmaltby1001 said:

I was wondering with the slightly different approach to how they're doing things this year that folk might hear earlier.

It was May last year that we heard but I know that was later than usual. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, marathonsteve said:

Hi Martin I was just wondering where Outside Circus was as there was one around that area we weren’t allowed in despite several attempts 

I wasnt being entirely truthful. It was the bar that services cabaret/ outside circus, etc. We tried to get in to use the loos in the Sunday afternoon but were refused entry. Later on in the evening I had a text from the late William Of Walworth saying the bar was selling off it's ale cheap and he could get me in. This worked and I ended up watching Tankus the Henge and drinking myself into a coma. This was the last time I saw William before his passing. Still, it was the only crew area to be unyielding.

• Like 1