Volunteering 2023

neil93

1 minute ago, incident said:

They never opened up applications for Glastonbury 2021, so you won't get credit for that.

In the end I think the only 2021 events that people were able to apply for but eventually got cancelled were Trees, WOMAD, and NASS.

edit: and the ill fated "In The Park" events

I signed up for 20, and that was the first year of things getting cancelled, so that’s the one I need to get up to five. It’d help to pay a lower deposit (less credit card bill) but in the grand scheme of things it’s a deposit until late September, the money will come back to me in due course 

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before but what happens if I apply to volunteer with Oxfam/Wateraid then end up being lucky in the resale, do I lose my deposit? 

Also, despite trying for many years Iv never actually got to glasto so this would be my first time and I’m concerned i might be throwing myself in the deep end by volunteering!! Any advice would be appreciated x

13 minutes ago, castlecaryquery said:

Am I correct in my understanding that we can link applications so we can be put on the same rotations? Where do we do that? Does that happen after you're successful in the application? Cheers

Yes, with a maximum "group" of 6. It comes later, after the initial application.

11 minutes ago, LuceM said:

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before but what happens if I apply to volunteer with Oxfam/Wateraid then end up being lucky in the resale, do I lose my deposit?

As long as you notify them before the cancellation deadline (~6 weeks before the festival), you get the deposit back minus an admin fee - £20 for Oxfam or £25 for WaterAid.

11 minutes ago, LuceM said:

Also, despite trying for many years Iv never actually got to glasto so this would be my first time and I’m concerned i might be throwing myself in the deep end by volunteering!! Any advice would be appreciated x

I think broadly that'd be fine but it depends on the individual and on your prior experience. Have you been to other large festivals before? If you've been to say Reading/Leeds/Boardmasters then you've already seen the worst of festivals and so there's no much to fear - Glastonbury is on a much bigger scale, but most aspects are a step up.

22 minutes ago, LuceM said:

I think I meet people most years who are stewarding at their first ever Glastonbury (or even festival) having never been to one before even as a punter. In some ways Glastonbury would be a good choice for a first one as you are very likely to be part of a big team full of experienced stewards and supervisors rather than working in a pair with a roving supervisor covering a large patch as at a lot of other festivals (although that's mostly fine too) 

38 minutes ago, castlecaryquery said:

Hi all, will be trying for Oxfam next week with a couple of friends.

Am I correct in my understanding that we can link applications so we can be put on the same rotations? Where do we do that? Does that happen after you're successful in the application? Cheers

Yup, up to 6 people they guarantee the same shift pattern. You might not necessarily be in the same place. However for Glastonbury I think it's fairly likely that you'd be together because of the size of shifts they have on the gates. 

Other smaller festivals might have positions staffed by just 2 or 4 people so if you were a group of 6 you'd end up split apart from each other depending on how many groups they were dealing with.

I know this has been covered before, and it probably makes chances slimmer - but:

If I'm registered but don't apply now (trying to remain positive for the resale) - if I'm not successful in the resale, are a small amount of places likely to come up off the back of the resale; from people who got a volunteering spot but were then successful in the resale?

1 minute ago, mufcok said:

I know this has been covered before, and it probably makes chances slimmer - but:

If I'm registered but don't apply now (trying to remain positive for the resale) - if I'm not successful in the resale, are a small amount of places likely to come up off the back of the resale; from people who got a volunteering spot but were then successful in the resale?

oxfam places come up very close to the festival .... you do lower chances but if you are switched on enough you should be able to get one ... 

24 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Yes, but we're talking spaces being available for minutes at a time. I think in 2022 there was one weekend when they were available for perhaps 3 or so hours but that was unusual 

1 hour ago, incident said:

Yes, with a maximum "group" of 6. It comes later, after the initial application.

As long as you notify them before the cancellation deadline (~6 weeks before the festival), you get the deposit back minus an admin fee - £20 for Oxfam or £25 for WaterAid.

I think broadly that'd be fine but it depends on the individual and on your prior experience. Have you been to other large festivals before? If you've been to say Reading/Leeds/Boardmasters then you've already seen the worst of festivals and so there's no much to fear - Glastonbury is on a much bigger scale, but most aspects are a step up.

Thanks A lot! 😊

I have been to multiple different festivals over the years so kind of know what to expect but like you say glasto is a whole different scale so just need to be prepared for that haha

1 hour ago, philipsteak said:

I think I meet people most years who are stewarding at their first ever Glastonbury (or even festival) having never been to one before even as a punter. In some ways Glastonbury would be a good choice for a first one as you are very likely to be part of a big team full of experienced stewards and supervisors rather than working in a pair with a roving supervisor covering a large patch as at a lot of other festivals (although that's mostly fine too) 

This is quite reassuring, thank you x

34 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Also note that you'd "only" lose £20 from an admin fee if you get a place you didn't take.

41 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Also note that you'd "only" lose £20 from an admin fee if you get a place you didn't take.

Thanks. Yeah, I did think it'll be small amount of spaces up for a very small amount of time. I'm still (probably foolishly) gonna take my chances on it

2 hours ago, incident said:

8 weeks I believe for Glastonbury with Oxfam. 

1 hour ago, mufcok said:

There will always be slots opening up. Last year so many that Oxfam actually did a "resale". 

Worth noting this year though the 8 week deadline for cancelling your application will fall before the ticket resale. So unless you can afford to lose half your deposit to oxfam ontop of paying £340 for you ticket its going to catch a lot of people out. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Havors said:

There will always be slots opening up. Last year so many that Oxfam actually did a "resale". 

Worth noting this year though the 8 week deadline for cancelling your application will fall before the ticket resale. So unless you can afford to lose half your deposit to oxfam ontop of paying £340 for you ticket its going to catch a lot of people out. 

Ooo I hadn't clocked that. Good spot.  That complicates it slightly. Interesting.

Edit: Looks like Glastonbury cancellation deadline is going to be 26th April.

The latest a general resale has been is Sunday 28th April.

So you'd hope resale will fall on the 20th/23rd April rather than the 30th.

But there is no pattern!

Edited by Leyrulion
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Ooo I hadn't clocked that. Good spot.  That complicates it slightly. Interesting.

But there is no pattern!

Is that the Oxfam Glastonbury cancellation? Normal ticket one is May 5th, isn't it?

Edited by mufcok

51 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

But there is no pattern!

Hopefully resale will be the 23rd April like it was in 2017 but there's a good chance it could be 29th April causing a lot of problems for Oxfam

Actually looking at all the previous deadlines and resales with Glatothingy, the resale is almost always the 3rd sunday after the deadline in recent times. So depending on what day the 7th falls on determines what sunday the general resale is.

That makes me quietly confident the resale general resale this year will be Sunday 23rd April.  Days are falling the same as 2017.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Havors said:

I think it was more that glasto upped the steward numbers rather than a resale so a load of places got added on. But I agree, if you want a space enough you’ll generally get one!