Fitness for Glastonbury 2023

gigpusher

After picking up a knee injury at the end of April I am slowly getting back up to being match for Glastonbury.

Managed an 8 mile was the other day and this morning a nice and steady 4 mile run with Mrs Fay.

Gonna get up to 10k and stop at that as I dint want that knee injury to flare up again before Glastonbury. 

The plan is to do a marathon for my 50th next April (Manchester) as I done one for my 40th (Them 10 years have flown past) not sure the knee can do it !!

I will be doing it for charity as well and don't want to get injured and not do it hmmmmmmm

Ran the Bradford 10k yesterday. 41 mins. Quite humid conditions but great fun. Went to see Blur last night too so a 200 mile round trip but so worth it, got to bed about 01:00. Spent all of Saturday at Live at Leeds too and saw some great performances. So, a very busy weekend but great prep for Glastonbury I think!

Am back from a trip to Norway that included various moderate hikes with moderate but good heart pumping climbs. I am pretty sure I can run up Strummerville now without breaking a sweat 😛 Some river crossings and very muddy conditions meant that I now have the footing needed SHOULD the conditions go bad at Glasto (it won't of course).

No clue what happened weight wise as of course one needs calories before/during/after such efforts 😚. But because of self catering, it was all quite healthy if you don't count the snacking. I was really happy with some freeze dried meals I brought from a small dutch company. Super healthy ingredients and not just calorie bombs.

been aaaaaages since I checked into this thread, but I have been out on my bike a lot this year. On new years day I decided that I should do at least an arbritary 10km a day as a way to get less chubby and a bit fitter.

I started with walking a lot, but thats slow and gets a bit dull after a while, so arounbd Feb time when it wasn't so cold, I started going our for laps around town on my bike. I'm Strava-ing everything so I can keep track 🙂 and i'm doing pretty well:

stats from a spreadsheet i'm logging this all in:

image.png.9681a713ff5c6aa1ce9210324ad483e1.png

not losing nearly as much weight as i'd hoped, but like others have said, I'm not doing much to change my beer and crisp habits, but I am a shade off a stone lighter, and certainly fitter, so it's a positive 🙂

On 5/30/2023 at 7:26 AM, moogster said:

Am back from a trip to Norway that included various moderate hikes with moderate but good heart pumping climbs.

Jealous!  Would love to visit Norway but never managed it.  Is it as awesome as I think it is?

Great news on yesterday's weigh in - lost 1st 7lb in total so 1lb off my Glasto target!  TBF, even if I don't drop that I'm happy having lost over 10% of my body weight in 11 weeks.  Fitness feels pretty good too, did a big walk at the weekend with the dog which went up some major hills and rarely felt out of breath.

I'm ready.  Let's Go!

Just now, 4AssedMonkey said:

Jealous!  Would love to visit Norway but never managed it.  Is it as awesome as I think it is?

Great news on yesterday's weigh in - lost 1st 7lb in total so 1lb off my Glasto target!  TBF, even if I don't drop that I'm happy having lost over 10% of my body weight in 11 weeks.  Fitness feels pretty good too, did a big walk at the weekend with the dog which went up some major hills and rarely felt out of breath.

I'm ready.  Let's Go!

Congrats on the target! I haven't just/just not managed to lose a stone but am about to finalize my run 7.5 km training so definitely a plus. And some of my summer outfits I definitely couldn't fit in last year fit now like a glove.

In terms of hikes Norway is AWESOME. So many and even the less popular ones, random go up a mountain from a village ones, two hours hikes are beautiful. May is great because there are barely tourists as soon as you leave the big known spots. We avoided the rain by changing our plans as needed so as good as a summer trip!

Just now, moogster said:

Congrats on the target! I haven't just/just not managed to lose a stone but am about to finalize my run 7.5 km training so definitely a plus. And some of my summer outfits I definitely couldn't fit in last year fit now like a glove.

In terms of hikes Norway is AWESOME. So many and even the less popular ones, random go up a mountain from a village ones, two hours hikes are beautiful. May is great because there are barely tourists as soon as you leave the big known spots. We avoided the rain by changing our plans as needed so as good as a summer trip!

2 of my friends are currently in Norway as well. Some of the photos they have posted look stunning!!

On the fitness front since the start of the year I am 40lb's down. Hoping to get the other 2 before Glastonbury so that I am 3 stone down.

My average steps for the year is up to 17,176 from 10,681 last year.

Still doing well at mostly just sticking to meals, only snacking when truly hungry and just having a nice meal out at the weekend.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

On the fitness front since the start of the year I am 40lb's down. Hoping to get the other 2 before Glastonbury so that I am 3 stone down.

Both stats are quite impressive! 

On 5/28/2023 at 12:13 PM, faymondo said:

After picking up a knee injury at the end of April I am slowly getting back up to being match for Glastonbury.

Managed an 8 mile was the other day and this morning a nice and steady 4 mile run with Mrs Fay.

Gonna get up to 10k and stop at that as I dint want that knee injury to flare up again before Glastonbury. 

The plan is to do a marathon for my 50th next April (Manchester) as I done one for my 40th (Them 10 years have flown past) not sure the knee can do it !!

I will be doing it for charity as well and don't want to get injured and not do it hmmmmmmm

Wishing you the very best of luck with the marathon. I did my first marathon for my 50th, the completely nuts;

https://www.marathondumedoc.com

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

2 of my friends are currently in Norway as well. Some of the photos they have posted look stunning!!

Still doing well at mostly just sticking to meals, only snacking when truly hungry and just having a nice meal out at the weekend.

Excellent work there gigpusher

2 hours ago, moogster said:

Ok you win the medal of the biggest achievement of this thread. Respect. Did you keep everything in ? 😉

They call it the longest marathon in the world, and it definitely felt like it. We came in at 6h 20m. Even putting in a respectable first half in 2h30m, we crumbled in the 2nd half when the oysters & wine combo took its toll.

The event is kicked off with a very boozy party the night before which ment we didn't get to bed till 2am, and then had to be on the bus to Paulliac at 7am for the start. Even typing this makes me feel queasy. Finishers get another bottle of wine, rather than banana.

4 hours ago, moogster said:

Both stats are quite impressive! 

2 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Excellent work there gigpusher

Thanks both!! Still a ways to go but feeling better on my bigger walks so hopefully the fitness for Glastonbury will be better than last year where it did feel a slog at times.

4 hours ago, 2019 said:

Wishing you the very best of luck with the marathon. I did my first marathon for my 50th, the completely nuts;

https://www.marathondumedoc.com

Yep you're the winner. That looks nuts.

50 minutes ago, 2019 said:

They call it the longest marathon in the world, and it definitely felt like it. We came in at 6h 20m. Even putting in a respectable first half in 2h30m, we crumbled in the 2nd half when the oysters & wine combo took its toll.

The event is kicked off with a very boozy party the night before which ment we didn't get to bed till 2am, and then had to be on the bus to Paulliac at 7am for the start. Even typing this makes me feel queasy. Finishers get another bottle of wine, rather than banana.

🤢🤮

17 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Thanks both!! Still a ways to go but feeling better on my bigger walks so hopefully the fitness for Glastonbury will be better than last year where it did feel a slog at times.

That's it, isn't it? I've been doing walks that are so much longer and with higher elevation that I've ever done before. And feeling fine during them. But the biggest change is after. My recovery has been much better to the point I'm doing big fell walks on back to back days and feeling better than fine. Great in fact. Which obviously bodes well for Glastonbury.

Turns out, all those "so called experts" who say losing excess weight, eating well and exercising is good for you and means you look and feel better were right all along. Who knew? (Everyone, literally everyone. Including me)

12 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

That's it, isn't it? I've been doing walks that are so much longer and with higher elevation that I've ever done before. And feeling fine during them. But the biggest change is after. My recovery has been much better to the point I'm doing big fell walks on back to back days and feeling better than fine. Great in fact. Which obviously bodes well for Glastonbury.

Turns out, all those "so called experts" who say losing excess weight, eating well and exercising is good for you and means you look and feel better were right all along. Who knew? (Everyone, literally everyone. Including me)

Yep generally most weekends we do 2 long walks. Sadly not managed to get out into the hills as one of the dogs can't do the walks and the additional car journey just means we'd be away for too long but we've done a few more suburban walks and been fine to do them the next day. At Neighnourhood Weekend I did about 40k steps over the day which will be similar to Glastonbury I imagine and was fine the day after.

i've been able to get free sports massages from students for the last year, but with the end of the university year its the end of those massages too, i noticed the leisure centre that i go to each week  has them available, so i just booked one, costs £44, so i've had some great value from my freebies

Edited by Neil

10 hours ago, Neil said:

i've been able to get free sports massages from students for the last year, but with the end of the university year its the end of those massages too, i noticed the leisure centre that i go to each week  has them available, so i just booked one, costs £44, so i've had some great value from my freebies

How's your leg massage machine?