Fitness for Glastonbury 2023

gigpusher

Just found this thread. Been going to the festival since 200r but not since 2017 as couldn't get tix. This year I'm a steward with Oxfam. I'm doing 10k steps a day in May and raising money for our local.hospixe here in Shropshire and I am going to carry it on til end of September. So far this month I've walked 86 miles and and 19 miles on the bike. I'm 52 this year and looking forward to Glastonbury and keeping my steps up.  My little doggie died on Saturday so I'm focussing on the gym from yesterday and want to get into a bit of weights to tone up, so looking at a decent app to help me with this. No one talks at the gym 🤣

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, smiley33 said:

Just found this thread. Been going to the festival since 200r but not since 2017 as couldn't get tix. This year I'm a steward with Oxfam. I'm doing 10k steps a day in May and raising money for our local.hospixe here in Shropshire and I am going to carry it on til end of September. So far this month I've walked 86 miles and and 19 miles on the bike. I'm 52 this year and looking forward to Glastonbury and keeping my steps up.  My little doggie died on Saturday so I'm focussing on the gym from yesterday and want to get into a bit of weights to tone up, so looking at a decent app to help me with this. No one talks at the gym 🤣

Sorry to hear about your dog

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Had that a couple of weeks back, on top of 2 fractured toes. Really nasty and the gout made me nearly cry.

My sympathy, get very strong anti inflammatory from the Dr

It flared up last Wednesday when I was on holiday in Cyprus....got back to UK thurs night and straight to GP Friday....now on Naproxen for two weeks and told to lay of alcohol for the duration.

Never known pain like it! (got it in the join between my foot and big toe of my left foot)

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

It flared up last Wednesday when I was on holiday in Cyprus....got back to UK thurs night and straight to GP Friday....now on Naproxen for two weeks and told to lay of alcohol for the duration.

Never known pain like it! (got it in the join between my foot and big toe of my left foot)

Ha, that's where I had it. Had it a couple of times now, I eat too many tomatoes, yea the pain is something else

35 minutes ago, smiley33 said:

My condolences for your loss of your dog. Kudos to you for choosing to go to the gym 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Ha, that's where I had it. Had it a couple of times now, I eat too many tomatoes, yea the pain is something else

My GP wants me back in to go through my diet and whole lifestyle to see what's caused it....I suddenly ate a lot of halloumi and sangria in Cyprus so that may have possibly triggered it.

I certainly don't drink like I used to in my 20s-mid 30s (I'm nearly 42 now)

21 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Tomatoes! Fucking tomatoes! Come on, give us a break. Tomatoes can cause gout. What's next, broccoli triggers heart attacks? I mean it's hardly the decadent hard living lifestyle you think of with gout.

45 minutes ago, danssol said:

Feel your pain, had it for years. I get prescribed allopurinol which has reduced the attacks to once every 2-3 years from every 3-6 months. 

I'm hoping this will be a one off...but suspect it won't be.

Someone I know had it from too much dairy!

32 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

Been doing 5k's while working out here in Porto, jeeez running in 23c and the hot air isn't fun.

Weird isn't it? I really struggled sunday when the temp was about that. Then yesterday, light rain and 15 degrees.... So easy!

Been thinking about food options for the festival what with sugar being a no no and wanting to limit potatoes, rice, pasta, bread etc. Now I ain't going to be perfect but I've been really good since I started this so I want to keep being mostly good. Essentially it's too soon to dabble without going back to bad habits. I know how I work.

So nuts, seeds, fruit, protein bars for snacks. Eggs, halloumi, other high protein stuff when I'm cooking myself. Don't worry there'll be plenty of fibre in there two!

I also thought Huel could be a good back up. I figured with all the fitness nuts in here someone would have a referral code to share. DM me if you have.

Any other ideas appreciated too.

Thanks.

16 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Been thinking about food options for the festival what with sugar being a no no and wanting to limit potatoes, rice, pasta, bread etc. Now I ain't going to be perfect but I've been really good since I started this so I want to keep being mostly good. Essentially it's too soon to dabble without going back to bad habits. I know how I work.

So nuts, seeds, fruit, protein bars for snacks. Eggs, halloumi, other high protein stuff when I'm cooking myself. Don't worry there'll be plenty of fibre in there two!

I also thought Huel could be a good back up. I figured with all the fitness nuts in here someone would have a referral code to share. DM me if you have.

Thanks.

I tried Huel.  It's rank.  Wouldn't recommend.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's literally gruel innit. Its giving medieval peasant and / or Victorian orphan. 

Yeah.  Even trying to stick an espresso in it doesn't really help.

Yeah it's meant as a back up, that's all. I think it's improved. I mean i don't have the highest expectations tbh.

Was still planning on getting some meals, the problem is the rice/chips etc is usually a pretty big part of the meal so once that's gone it's not that filling.

Gluten free doesn't really help unfortunately. The gluten isn't the problem.

25 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Yeah it's meant as a back up, that's all. I think it's improved. I mean i don't have the highest expectations tbh.

Was still planning on getting some meals, the problem is the rice/chips etc is usually a pretty big part of the meal so once that's gone it's not that filling.

Gluten free doesn't really help unfortunately. The gluten isn't the problem.

I get that, but Mrs 4am is Gluten intolerant so we tried a few dishes and they were all low carb - no rice or bread etc. some had potato but there were lots of chickpea and bean based dishes with cheese, halloumi etc. and salad or spinach. really nice and I’d expect suitable for you.

47 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I get that, but Mrs 4am is Gluten intolerant so we tried a few dishes and they were all low carb - no rice or bread etc. some had potato but there were lots of chickpea and bean based dishes with cheese, halloumi etc. and salad or spinach. really nice and I’d expect suitable for you.

Ah, right, get you.

Yeah that sort of thing is ideal. Still some carbs but the good kind and high fibre high protein so ok. Pretty much what I cook at home these days.

Cheers.

ETA in the last six months whenever I've mentioned I can't really eat bread anymore everyone has immediately asked if I can eat gf bread or sympathised about having to eat gf stuff. Gluten's a protein, it's the bit of bread that's actually ok for me!

Edited by philipsteak

14 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Thanks.

How come sugar is a no no?

(Apologies if you’ve mentioned elsewhere already).