The 1975

NorthernSoul52

5 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Wouldn't exactly call it a stench, more a light whiff...

Josh Homme kicked a woman in the face for goodness sake. Axl Rose sang 'Absurd' on the farm. Healy being a twat is small time in comparison.

I know but nobody cares about either of those for some reason. Whereas people most certainly do care about the Matty stuff. One of the most interesting up and coming British pop stars called him out on stage at Glastonbury last weekend. That can’t just be totally ignored. 

34 minutes ago, WhoOdyssey said:

Yesterday's setlist, possibly their best to date for me.

1. The 1975 (BFIAFL version)
2. Looking For Somebody (To Love)
3. Happiness
4. Love Me
5. Part of the Band
6. Oh Caroline
7. I'm In Love With You
8. Paris
9. All I Need To Hear (with Tim Healy)
10. Be My Mistake
11. If You're Too Shy (Let Me Know)
12. The Ballad of Me and My Brain
13. Medicine
14. About You
15. Somebody Else
16. A Change of Heart
17. The Sound
18. It's Not Living (If It's Not With You)
19. fallingforyou
20. Guys
21. I Always Wanna Die (Sometimes)
22. Robbers
23. I Like America & America Likes Me
24. Love It If We Made It
25. Sex
26. Give Yourself a Try
27. People

It seems that 'Chocolate' has completely been dropped now then.

For a band who love to use brackets, 'All I Need to Hear (with Tim Healy)' genuinely made me think they'd retitled the song.

Banging setlist though, absolutely no complaints, and delighted they've binned off Chocolate

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

Very harsh that interview and to call The 1975 a mediocre band is a piss take when they have won a ton of Brits and are on a successful tour with 5* reviews. Yeah Matty can be a dick but he ain't racist. Can't wait to have the 75 confirmed for next year after falling asleep watching the god damm awful Arctic Monkeys and their boring lead singer a few weeks ago.

Edited by Baggieboy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Baggieboy said:

Very harsh that interview and to call The 1975 a mediocre band is a piss take when they have won a ton of Brits and are on a successful tour with 5* reviews. Yeah Matty can be a dick but he ain't racist. Can't wait to have the 75 confirmed for next year after falling asleep watching the god damm awful Arctic Monkeys and their boring lead singer a few weeks ago.

Fully agree about the Sheffield arse wipe, but the 1975 front man is just plain creepy. Music is very mediocre and dull 

On 7/3/2023 at 10:54 AM, Rose-Colored Boy said:

I know but nobody cares about either of those for some reason. Whereas people most certainly do care about the Matty stuff. One of the most interesting up and coming British pop stars called him out on stage at Glastonbury last weekend. That can’t just be totally ignored. 

Her most recent album flopped and her set would've probably gone totally unnoticed by the wider public if she hadn't mentioned him. I get people being mad about it but in this instance I found it to be a pretty distasteful clout grab.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

17 minutes ago, crumbler said:

Her most recent album flopped and her set would've probably gone totally unnoticed by the wider public if she hadn't mentioned him. I get people being mad about it but in this instance I found it to be a pretty distasteful clout grab.

Wow.  That's quite a take. 

1 hour ago, strummer77 said:

I get this but haven’t you called for Eminem in the past?

Yes and I stand by it.

It seems people don't understand the use of irony to make a point/tell a story.

Do you really think that a white rapper could have possibly made it in a predominantly black genre, with full support from the likes of Dr Dre if he was racist.

Do you really think Elton John would be a good friend of his if he was homophobic.

2 hours ago, Skip997 said:

But hey I'm sure he has BAME friends.

11 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Do you really think that a white rapper could have possibly made it in a predominantly black genre, with full support from the likes of Dr Dre if he was racist.

Do you really think Elton John would be a good friend of his if he was homophobic.

These are a bit contradictory lol. What did Healy actually say/do? I know there's all this sh*t about him on a podcast, never actually listened to it.

3 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

These are a bit contradictory lol. What did Healy actually say/do? I know there's all this sh*t about him on a podcast, never actually listened to it.

The first post you quoted was meant be ironic, the old "I'm not racist I've got black friends"

As to what did Healy do , there's an article further up in this topic.

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

The first post you quoted was meant be ironic, the old "I'm not racist I've got black friends"

As to what did Healy do , there's an article further up in this topic.

Yeah I know, but then you pretty much said how can Eminem be racist/homophobic if he has black/gay friends.

I'll give the article a read.

Unbelievable that anyone above could not understand the offence caused by this when he'was in a more powerful position at the label to someone born in Japan. 

And to think she's doing it for "clout" ffs. 

It's one thing being a fan of his, but don't try and pretend her take is in anyway unreasonable. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/matty-healy-adam-friedland-b2279829.html

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, crumbler said:

She had a pretty full tent at what was headliner time around the rest of the site because Woodsies was running late and she went down a storm. Elton John picked her to perform with him and when she came out people who had no idea who she was were asking me who she was because she sounded great. She shone like the star she is, he’s just another public school boy bully who likes saying controversial things for attention sort of the Boris Johnson of the music world. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, crumbler said:

So much copium here.

He's a racist c**t and needs to get cancelled to f**k.

Personally, I just think Healy is really bad at the whole edgy, ironic act he tries to put on and just isn't as clever at it as he thinks he is, and he ends up making comments that can be genuinely hurtful. I think intent is important (I know this is an almost dead concept these days) and don't think he is actually racist or as problematic as some would have you believe, but I think he is sometimes very thick and naive in how he acts, and I can see how some people have a problem with him. He is very keen on the whole 'playing a rockstar' act and always does it onstage. The concept behind their recent tour was very original and quite fascinating, and when he talks about not always coming across as perfect, and wanting to purposefully show the other side of the coin because manufactured 'niceness' is so prevalant and clearly bulls*, it's an interesting idea, but the execution is very bad a lot of the time, and he might be the most pretentious musician about.

However, a lot of hate he gets is clearly coming from people (above poster, that article) who already dislike him/ The 1975 and are waiting with baited breath for him to do something daft so they can ignore all the subtleties of the situation and call for him to be cancelled (lol, good luck with that).

Also obviously not helpful for fanboys/girls to discredit people like Rina Sawayama, who clearly have valid concerns about his behaviour.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Personally, I just think Healy is really bad at the whole edgy, ironic act he tries to put on and just isn't as clever at it as he thinks he is, and he ends up making comments that can be genuinely hurtful. I think intent is important (I know this is an almost dead concept these days) and don't think he is actually racist or as problematic as some would have you believe, but I think he is sometimes very thick and naive in how he acts, and I can see how some people have a problem with him. He is very keen on the whole 'playing a rockstar' act and always does it onstage. The concept behind their recent tour was very original and quite fascinating, and when he talks about not always coming across as perfect, and wanting to purposefully show the other side of the coin because manufactured 'niceness' is so prevalant and clearly bulls*, it's an interesting idea, but the execution is very bad a lot of the time, and he might be the most pretentious musician about.

However, a lot of hate he gets is clearly coming from people (above poster, that article) who already dislike him/ The 1975 and are waiting with baited breath for him to do something daft so they can ignore all the subtleties of the situation and call for him to be cancelled (lol, good luck with that).

Also obviously not helpful for fanboys/girls to discredit people like Rina Sawayama, who clearly have valid concerns about his behaviour.

I kind of agree with a lot of this. Although there may be things he’s said or done that paint him in a far worse light, from what I’ve seen I’ve always got the impression that he’s just attempting to be an edgelord to impress his fellow edgelord friends, and comes off like a typical guy raised on the internet who never grew out of his 4chan phase or got punched in the face for saying this sh*t out loud to the wrong person.

Not to totally dismiss what he’s said as harmless because he has said some awfully sh*tty things and as an adult man in the spotlight he should know better by now, but it always struck me as over-trying fake rock star schtick rather than the words and actions of an actual monster, and although he was right to be called out, I don’t think he’s deserving of being ‘cancelled’ outright and his career destroyed (and tbf, I very much think he’s gonna headline next year, so he seems like he’s gonna be fine).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

This has been the case since day one of The 1975 being on the scene. Same old voices saying these things now as used to clog up the NME claiming their music wasn’t ‘credible’, people only liked them because of Denise Welch, blah blah blah. Probably why it doesn’t stick. That said, if this is gonna become an ongoing Matty v Rina war then Team Rina all the way. 

2 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Not to add any fuel to the fire or sound like I’m policing the conversation, but I don’t think BAME is a widely accepted term anymore. 

Fair enough

It's hard to keep up these days

3 hours ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

I mean, this is the attitude and arguments people were using in the 90s when mainstream comedians were doing 'ironic' blackface and outright racist jokes ("We are obviously not racist, good intentions, the shock of it is what is funny, racism is over!")

It was rubbish then, and it's rubbish now.

He's yet another (approaching) middle aged wealthy white man doing racist jokes and saying racist things because he thinks it's big and clever.

And for that, he needs to get in the bin, and stay in the bin.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, Isaact said:

I mean, this is the attitude and arguments people were using in the 90s when mainstream comedians were doing 'ironic' blackface and outright racist jokes ("We are obviously not racist, good intentions, the shock of it is what is funny, racism is over!")

It was rubbish then, and it's rubbish now.

He's yet another (approaching) middle aged wealthy white man doing racist jokes and saying racist things because he thinks it's big and clever.

And for that, he needs to get in the bin, and stay in the bin.

Absolute nonsense. 

You're just seemingly incapable of looking at this in any way other than completely subjective - just ignoring the majority of the post. As if that in any way is comparable to people excusing blackface.

Get over yourself.