The 1975

NorthernSoul52

17 minutes ago, NoBuses said:

They are probably the most talked about band in the world right now haha, headlining massive arenas which is more than Foals ever did

As much as I like them, the main reason they’re the most talked about band rn is because Matty is pulling all those stunts on stage for Tik tok. It is good publicity even if it does cross the line at times. But like everything on that app, it will die down soon enough and it hasn’t translated to any mainstream chart success as they’re yet to have a top 10 hit song.

29 minutes ago, Punisher said:

AM are definitely less mainstream now but you can’t deny their popularity. They sold out a UK stadium tour and The Car was the second best-selling album of 2022 in the UK after Taylor Swift. Their first week sales tripled The 1975’s with barely any promotion.

They also have the legacy benefit, so their fanbase is more varied.

Yeah I would never deny AM are more popular overall. But it’s still an uninspiring repeat booking, in a year when the other two headliners are already so safe and risk-free that there was definitely an opportunity to take a chance on someone fresher. 

8 minutes ago, WhoOdyssey said:

Not the bigger arenas though. I don't think Foals have ever played the O2, let alone sell out two nights there.

they did 4 nights at Olympia London last year, and the venue cap is 10,000 …. which is equal to 2 nights at the o2. I’m sure they could have done the o2 if they wanted instead

Edited by CJB
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

both Foals and The 1975 should’ve headlined by now tbh

This might just be down to personal taste so could be nonsense but for me, I felt after Holy Fire, Foals were one more absolutely solid album (with 2-3 big singles) away from being able to step up.

I felt What Went Down completely missed (apart from Mountain at My Gates and perhaps the title track at a push), but I think they really fell off overall.

Their double album in 2019 was an awful idea from the beginning.

Still a great live band, one I've seen multiple times, and they always seem to get their setlist right to this day. Just think they slightly misfired when they had their chance to take it to the next level.

Overall, I'm a big fan, I saw them for £4 in a room that was 90% empty when I'd only heard Hummer, and seen them plenty since!

Edited by Sketchead
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sketchead said:

This might just be down to personal taste so could be nonsense but for me, I felt after Holy Fire, Foals were one more absolutely solid album (with 2-3 big singles) away from being able to step up.

I felt What Went Down completely missed (apart from Mountain at My Gates and perhaps the title track at a push), but I think they really fell off overall.

Still a great live band, one I've seen multiple times, and they always seem to get their setlist right to this day. Just think they slightly misfired when they had their chance to take it to the next level.

Overall, I'm a big fan, I saw them for £4 in a room that was 90% empty when I'd only heard Hummer, and seen them plenty since!

They’re my favourite band of all time but I couldn’t agree more. I’d love to have seen them headline the Pyramid and I think they were inches from it at one point, but the ship has more than likely sailed now 😞

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sketchead said:

The more I think about it, 2015 when Glastonbury were desperate for a third headliner and they (Foals) had just released WWD the single but not yet WWD the album.. that would’ve been the perfect moment for them. Alternatively I reckon they were probably the first reserve this year if one of Billie or Kendrick had dropped out. Probably won’t happen now, sadly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

The more I think about it, 2015 when Glastonbury were desperate for a third headliner and they (Foals) had just released WWD the single but not yet WWD the album.. that would’ve been the perfect moment for them. Alternatively I reckon they were probably the first reserve this year if one of Billie or Kendrick had dropped out. Probably won’t happen now, sadly. 

No chance Foals would’ve been on the back burner to headline last year regardless of who dropped out.

Like said above, they were at one point on the cusp, but instead of releasing a banger album that cemented them as a seminal British band they released a lesser version of the album that came before, and that was that for their chance at getting the gig. Suppose it doesn’t help that their peak was also when guitar music began to fall out of favour with the mainstream and we started getting more pop acts taking top billing and therefor less ‘bump up’ guitar acts. 

Weren’t Foals originally asked to fill the sub slot in 2015 instead of The Libertines but declined because they weren’t well rehearsed or whatever? Doubt the big gig would have worked for them on such short notice if that was the case.

9 minutes ago, Punisher said:

Given their GSH I’m still predicting a JP secret set.

There's a lot of focus on here about secret sets on smaller stages, which seems surprising given there are also so many folks who were unhappy about crowding in some of those areas in the past. 

They were due to play Finsbury with an insane list of supports before the pandemic got in the way, seems plausible they would want to honour that commitment. Although maybe getting a bit late to announce it now for this year, so perhaps they’ll do that next year instead when their London demand has had a chance to be built back up again after the O2 shows wiped it out. 

EDIT: what they said ^

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

Just seen a clip of Matty last night at their Gorilla show saying it’s the end of their UK tour but not the end of At Their Very Best in the UK - said “we’ve got a big summer planned”. Feel like a big outdoor London show is inevitable, especially with Finsbury Park being cancelled in 2020 and 2021.

My guess would be that they’ll do Sunday 2nd July at Finsbury Park (the night after Pulp) or Saturday 26th August at APE (the night after The Strokes). 

3 hours ago, gweb said:

Just seen a clip of Matty last night at their Gorilla show saying it’s the end of their UK tour but not the end of At Their Very Best in the UK - said “we’ve got a big summer planned”. Feel like a big outdoor London show is inevitable, especially with Finsbury Park being cancelled in 2020 and 2021.

My guess would be that they’ll do Sunday 2nd July at Finsbury Park (the night after Pulp) or Saturday 26th August at APE (the night after The Strokes). 

They said they were touring this new album twice i swear?