Arctic Monkeys

FloorFiller

41 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Let’s be honest, at least two of those four songs + the Tranquility Base stuff are gonna be lulls/let’s nip off for a pint and/or piss points of their set, so probably best they keep it at that number. They may have gone a bit slow and experimental on record but fill a live set with that stuff and it’s gonna suck all energy and momentum out of it and leave a lot of people unhappy.

Well their older material just draaaaags in their recent tours. I love Crying Lightning as much as the next guy but somehow they suck the life out of these songs live. Same goes for Fluorescent sadly... Way too much AM too. Lose an Arabella or Snap Out Of It for once... 

25 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

They aren't filling a live set with it? 

Literally what I said

25 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

And those 4 songs will sound class live. 

You’re clearly a mega fan seeing as you keep jumping in to defend them at any given opportunity, but c’mon now - a handful of those songs would/will die on their arse in a festival setting. 

1 minute ago, matrainertje said:

Well their older material just draaaaags in their recent tours. I love Crying Lightning as much as the next guy but somehow they suck the life out of these songs live. Same goes for Fluorescent sadly... Way too much AM too. Lose an Arabella or Snap Out Of It for once... 

Yeah they seem to have dropped the tempo of a few of their older songs and/or play them with as little enthusiasm as possible which is a shame. Watched their Reading set on iPlayer and a lot of the older stuff just seems off. They’ve never been a particularly enthralling live act but at least they briefly seemed to give a shit. You can almost hear the disdain in Alex’s voice these days when it comes to Dancefloor etc.

Hopefully there’s be less from AM for Glastonbury. I appreciate it’s their biggest international album, however, I’m so sick of it being the main album they draw from. Who wants to hear Arabella, I Wanna Be yours or Why’d You Only Call Me When Your High for the umpteenth time when you can hear a song like The View from the Afternoon or Secret Door instead?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pr0paneNightm4re said:

Hopefully there’s be less from AM for Glastonbury. I appreciate it’s their biggest international album, however, I’m so sick of it being the main album they draw from. Who wants to hear Arabella, I Wanna Be yours or Why’d You Only Call Me When Your High for the umpteenth time when you can hear a song like The View from the Afternoon or Secret Door instead?

I think they’re definitely gonna stick to it being largely AM heavy. They haven’t actually played a lot of those songs at Glastonbury and it just seems to be the standard for them now. Maybe next album tour a few will get knocked off, but for now I don’t see them switching it up too much for Glastonbury. 

16 minutes ago, Pr0paneNightm4re said:

Fully agree! Radiohead aside, my favourite band of all time, but I pretty much loathe their biggest album. Sounds silly, but I'm always slightly disappointed in Alex for choosing to play so many songs from AM, I expected him (as clear leader now), especially by this point in their careers, to fully commit to playing what they wanted and not just their biggest hits.

(They could, of course, want to still play WDYOCMWYH and the like, but I find it very doubtful)

Edited by JayDiesel

5 minutes ago, JayDiesel said:

Fully agree! Radiohead aside, my favourite band of all time, but I pretty much loathe their biggest album. Sounds silly, but I'm always slightly disappointed in Alex for choosing to play so many songs from AM, I expected him (as clear leader now), especially by this point in their careers, to fully commit to playing what they wanted and not just their biggest hits.

(They could, of course, want to still play WDYOCMWYH and the like, but I find it very doubtful)

I can see your point here for their own shows, when there are 10K - 30K Arctic's devotees in the crowd.  For a festival though, play the fucking hits man.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I can see your point here for their own shows, when there are 10K - 30K Arctic's devotees in the crowd.  For a festival though, play the fucking hits man.  

Oh, for sure - I was only really thinking of AM shows and not festivals when talking about that. Even at festivals though, they do pick some naff tracks in place of others.

It's hard to balance, admittedly, but most festival crowds would go mental for some of the early stuff that they don't play; Sun Goes Down, Flourescent Adolescent (though they've just started playing again), Mardy Bum, Dancing Shoes, so on... I can understand evolving as a band and not wanting to play the early stuff anymore when you're no longer 20 year old lads living in High Green, but it's surely no different to playing Arabella for 500th fucking time??

Fair point.  That said I've always thought some of their setlisting was a bit odd.  I saw them touring Humbug at Sheffield Arena.  As you'd expect, properly buzzing crowd.  They opened with Fire and The Thud.  Completely sapped all the energy out of the room.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, matrainertje said:

Yeah Crying Lighting, Arabella, Why'd you only call and Don't sit down can all get dropped. All featured heavily when I saw them in 2014 and 2018 and they're still on the set. Any chance of Hellcat or That's where you're wrong?! I'd even drop Do I wanna know, love the song but if they can drop Mardy Bum and When the sun goes down then no reason that can't be dropped! 

8 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Compare this thread with the EJ thread and it's like comparing apples and oranges. Whereas EJ is playing a hits fest which pleases most, Arctics seem like they can't even please anyone.

Doesn't bode well for an all-timer on the Pyramid come June.

Very much is apples and oranges. Elton is an entertainer, a showman, with a massive catalogue of hits spanning decades which he fills his sets with. Arctics have never been a particularly brilliant live act - it was all about the youthful energy of those first couple of albums, and once they abandoned and/or grew out of that and Alex decided to take on this lounge act crooner persona, their live shows suffered for it. I’m sure die hards will love their set regardless, but Elton’s set a couple of nights later will put theirs to shame. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Very much is apples and oranges. Elton is an entertainer, a showman, with a massive catalogue of hits spanning decades which he fills his sets with. Arctics have never been a particularly brilliant live act - it was all about the youthful energy of those first couple of albums, and once they abandoned and/or grew out of that and Alex decided to take on this lounge act crooner persona, their live shows suffered for it. I’m sure die hards will love their set regardless, but Elton’s set a couple of nights later will put theirs to shame. 

Couldn't agree more, sadly. Hopefully they pull something out of the bag and play what the average punter at Glasto wants. 

As a neutral - or perhaps a fan of their energetic bangers from the early years, I hope they get it right!

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

43 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Couldn't agree more, sadly. Hopefully they pull something out of the bag and play what the average punter at Glasto wants. 

As a neutral - or perhaps a fan of their energetic bangers from the early years, I hope they get it right!

There is no chance of this happening tho is there. Their setlists are fine for their own shows but they seem unwilling to play the hits in a festival setting. Go in with low expectations.

12 hours ago, Ell99 said:

As my group of 4 were lucky enough to get Glasto tickets, we have decided to sell our standing tickets for the AM gig at the Emirates on Friday June 16th.

Seeing them two Friday nights in a row seems a bit much! If anyone is interested in purchasing 4 tickets please do let me know! On sale for face value which is a hefty £340 (£85 each).

If that's a bit much... what does Manchester, Sheffield, Glastonbury, New York classify as 😂

8 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

those songs would/will die on their arse in a festival setting. 

Agreed 75% of people who go to watch arctic monkeys at glastobury wouldnt be aggrieved if there wasnt a single song from TBHC or the Car. Its not realistic or going to happen but its not why people will be there.

2 from whatever ppl say i am is just nowhere near enough for a festival set especially when one of them is dancefloor which is one of the most over played songs ever.

Take at least 1 each off car/tbhc (out of the 6 total) and AM and add 2 more from the first album and youre starting to look a bit better

Edited by Memory Man

17 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

There is no chance of this happening tho is there. Their setlists are fine for their own shows but they seem unwilling to play the hits in a festival setting. Go in with low expectations.

Mine are super low. I’m over 50% to be at Kelis for a party but Mrs 4am has never seen Arctics and wants to see them. I hope it’s good. I expect the usual low energy, strange setlist with no crowd interaction. 

Combination of realistic and good album split for the pyramid allowing for a stone cold banger count of at least 50%:

AM: 4

The car: 4

Whatever ppl say i am: 4

Favourite worst: 3

suck it / humbug : 3 combined

tranquilty: 1

Cover / special guest slot: 2

No a certain romance and no mardy bum = no party

Edited by Memory Man

1 minute ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Mine are super low. I’m over 50% to be at Kelis for a party but Mrs 4am has never seen Arctics and wants to see them. I hope it’s good. I expect the usual low energy, strange setlist with no crowd interaction. 

Thats what you’ll get. Leeds and reading was the time to give the people what they want, and they did not.

1 hour ago, Memory Man said:

To be fair i should just go see an arctics tribute band who’d play all the old ones and i’d probably have a better time 😂

antartic monkeys is a better night out than the real thing.

Saw someone called Arctic roll at a charity gig, not the best but played the tunes to keep the crowd happy