LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

If anything is coming I think it will include some largish names, which rules out Avalon.

Silver Hayes seems a contender with a more youth oriented lineup to counterbalance the perceived old gits from the 1st poster. 

The Common could be a contender as they have suddenly become active on social media again in the last week or so but I don't think they tend to have BIG names? Could be wrong, I wouldn't know most big dance act names apart from the very well known ones.

If it was me, I'd go with Woodsies. New area, big up any changes and announce some of the top of the bill stuff. 

Something like this from 2008: http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/music/newsid_7353000/7353856.stm

San Remo also active again on social media so would tick a lot of boxes

I think there may be some sense in holding back an announcement.  Cost of living crisis, high inflation, large jump in ticket price and a perception that the announced line-up is all old twats.  All points to the possibility of a record number of people sacking it off and not paying the balance.

If they have announcements ready, then why not wait to see what happens over the first 2-3 days of the balance window.  With that data they will be able to predict if the above is likely to be happening or not.  If it's looking dire - some big announcements, like the line ups for Silver Hayes/Woodsies and even a few more acts or stages etc. might sway a few punters to pony up, especially any who are on the fence.  If it's looking OK then maybe release some anyway and hold some stuff back for resale.  Can't see much of a case for dropping it now.

31 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I think there may be some sense in holding back an announcement.  Cost of living crisis, high inflation, large jump in ticket price and a perception that the announced line-up is all old twats.  All points to the possibility of a record number of people sacking it off and not paying the balance.

If they have announcements ready, then why not wait to see what happens over the first 2-3 days of the balance window.  With that data they will be able to predict if the above is likely to be happening or not.  If it's looking dire - some big announcements, like the line ups for Silver Hayes/Woodsies and even a few more acts or stages etc. might sway a few punters to pony up, especially any who are on the fence.  If it's looking OK then maybe release some anyway and hold some stuff back for resale.  Can't see much of a case for dropping it now.

So long as it sell out in the end, it doesn't matter how many people don't pay their balance as the festival never release the amount of tickets in the resale.  

What happens to the retained deposits?  I assume a proportion of this goes to See?

34 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I was wondering this in terms of people not fulfilling their orders/returning deposits but then I also think given the perceived nature of Glastonbury as a "must do" event, I'd imagine it will still be a pretty small percentage.

I wonder what year has had the most deposits returned since the deposit scheme started? Does anyone have any data?

Just now, foolsgold1981 said:

I wonder what year has had the most deposits returned since the deposit scheme started? Does anyone have any data?

They don't release this data, it's all top secret. 

You can look at the time taken for the resale to sell out, but there are other variables in the mix for that, such as technical  difficulties etc. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, foolsgold1981 said:

I was wondering this in terms of people not fulfilling their orders/returning deposits but then I also think given the perceived nature of Glastonbury as a "must do" event, I'd imagine it will still be a pretty small percentage.

id suggest and its just based on a few previous polls that 17% is at the top end of what we've seen before 

• Like 1

You'd think that given how much demand appears to outstrip supply that they wouldn't be concerned about it not eventually selling out.  I was thinking more about the cashflow headache it would give them if lots of people dropped out next week. 

The balance payments on 100% of ticket sales will be in the region of £40m.  I'd heard that drop outs are usually around 5%, so they may be expecting a £38m cash injection in the next week and will have some payments to make out of that.  If for some reason this nudges closer to 20% dropping out, that's a £6m hole in the coffers, with a double-whammy of refunding an extra £700k in refunded deposits at £25 each.  That money won't then get recouped until the resale balances are paid.  If as Emily has suggested they are also having to absorb some increased costs that they haven't factored into the higher ticket price, then that would be a big worry.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, The Nal said:

Surprised they havent announced the resale date yet given the hike in ticket cost. Give people a few weeks to save up a few quid.

In theory right now there's no need for a resale. Everyone that put a deposit down could buy a ticket, then there's nothing to resell.

40 minutes ago, sisco said:

I reckon acoustic as a headliner has been leaked 

Saw Doctors.  Didn't expect that.  Saw them once absolutely years ago.  Wouldn't have thought them big enough to headline but hey ho.

7 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

In theory right now there's no need for a resale. Everyone that put a deposit down could buy a ticket, then there's nothing to resell.

And in reality there will be one. Plenty of people saying they have dropouts this year. Will still be an unmitigated nightmare trying to get a resale of course. 

46 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Saw Doctors.  Didn't expect that.  Saw them once absolutely years ago.  Wouldn't have thought them big enough to headline but hey ho.

Never seen them so I'd actually be quite up for this - didn't realise (just looked at last year) that acoustic headliners finish so early though!  Wasn't fussed by Arctic Monkeys - but thought actually I quite fancy a bit of them and then a stroll to Acoustic to watch Saw Doctors - but actually Acoustic headliner likely to start much earlier so needs to be the other way round.  So early that interferes with subs elsewhere!

New plan - watch Young Fathers properly, full attention -> stroll up to hopefully get second half of Saw Doctors, no rush -> second half of AM.

Plan B - walk along back of Pyramid field and carry on to Woodsies for Hot Chip - though probably couldn't get in the tent by the time I get there, esp if Pyramid is looking empty.

Edited by p.pete

8 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Never seen them so I'd actually be quite up for this - didn't realise (just looked at last year) that acoustic headliners finish so early though!  Wasn't fussed by Arctic Monkeys - but thought actually I quite fancy a bit of them and then a stroll to Acoustic to watch Saw Doctors - but actually Acoustic headliner likely to start much earlier so needs to be the other way round.  So early that interferes with subs elsewhere!

New plan - watch Young Fathers properly, full attention -> stroll up to hopefully get second half of Saw Doctors, no rush -> second half of AM.

Plan B - walk along back of Pyramid field and carry on to Woodsies for Hot Chip - though probably couldn't get in the tent by the time I get there, esp if Pyramid is looking empty.

Will Hot Chip pack the place out? Wouldn’t have thought they’d get a huge crowd.

1 minute ago, nikkic said:

Will Hot Chip pack the place out? Wouldn’t have thought they’d get a huge crowd.

No idea tbh - I've not seen them before either - I'm quite liking my options on Fri evening 🙂  Great if there is space in the tent, I quite fancy seeing 3/4 different things in a few hours knowing I'm likely to be in the same place for hours Sat for Lizzo->GnR.

Fri best guess atm looks like AM vs Wizkid vs Kelis vs HotC vs SawD, with Park, Avalon and a few others to figure out - some nice options in there but I reckon some small places might be getting some big crowds.