Football 2022/23

charlierc

3 hours ago, thetime said:

Missed the utd game due to work.

The goals conceded, bloody hell.

1st goal. Thats what happens when you play Maguire. He is shit.

2nd goal was a weird freak topspin off the shoulder. Tough one to save.

3rd goal. Theres a reason De Gea never comes off his line.

Sevilla had a perfectly good goal disallowed by VAR too. 

I mean FFS.

Amazing game for the neutral last night but must be horrible for Arsenal fans. Always suspected that they might fall just short, especially over the last few weeks. You get the feeling this was their best chance as there’s no way some of the other top teams can be as bad next season as they have this.

2 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Amazing game for the neutral last night but must be horrible for Arsenal fans. Always suspected that they might fall just short, especially over the last few weeks. You get the feeling this was their best chance as there’s no way some of the other top teams can be as bad next season as they have this.

I think squad strength is telling. Arsenal only route to the title was playing the same players every week and hope they get through. City have both the depth and that bit more quality.

11 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Another draw for the Arse, this time against the bottom team. Looking like they need to beat city to have any chance now.

that game is key to both teams hopes, city also have the chumps to distract them.

On 4/17/2023 at 6:38 PM, pink_triangle said:

Unfortunately as a Wrexham fan I’m naturally pessimistic, 6 points in 3 games is definitely “if” and not “when” territory. We have a record of messing up the play offs so would have no confidence if we don’t get the job done.

I’m not blind to the fact we are where we are in the league because of money. The fact we haven’t won the league on a points total that would win every season shows there are still no guarantees.

I have supported Wrexham for 35 years and this is the first title we have won. Papa Johns trophy here we come.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Can't believe we finally won a penalty shoot-out! Feels like the first one since Champions league vs Chelsea! Can't see us beating city in the final though.

Cup final in June - WTF?

See how the next few weeks go but I suspect United might actually be their own best chance of protecting their record of the only treble winning team.

I was away over the weekend so didn't see the Newcastle v Spurs game live but it was genuinely something for a friend checking a live score app and seemingly every time we looked Newcastle had another goal. That opening 20 minutes or so is crazy - think Man City did that to Watford in 2019 and that is the only other time a 5-0 lead has been run up that quickly in the PL era.

It's kinda crazy, and the fact Spurs have immediately fired Stellini for presiding over that hints that they have pretty much broken down.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

I would be embarrassed if Wrexham put in a performance against Liverpool like spurs are in this game.

Coming back from 3-0 down to equalise is at least something. Conceding to make it 4-3 straight away also feels like a very Spurs thing to do.

I mean it's an improvement on their 6-1 mauling by Newcastle last weekend, but it still isn't exactly enough to stop everyone else mocking them.

21 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Coming back from 3-0 down to equalise is at least something. Conceding to make it 4-3 straight away also feels like a very Spurs thing to do.

I mean it's an improvement on their 6-1 mauling by Newcastle last weekend, but it still isn't exactly enough to stop everyone else mocking them.

To me it was a complete bottle match, spurs bottled it for 30 minutes, then Liverpool for 60 minutes then spurs spursed it up in the end. Great for a neutral though!

39 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Starting to look that way.

Happy enough for the last 5 to be as boring as possible in truth... although granted our next one is at home to Arsenal who may still be grasping onto hopes that Man City might stumble any game now.

Being realistic Newcastle need 2 wins and a draw max, united just need to win there 3 home games. Liverpool are the only challenge for top 4, they are a little to far back and to few games left to make it up. 

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Being realistic Newcastle need 2 wins and a draw max, united just need to win there 3 home games. Liverpool are the only challenge for top 4, they are a little to far back and to few games left to make it up. 

It's similar for the Toon tbf - 3 wins is probably gonna be enough. Liverpool do play twice before we do next so there is an opportunity for them to eat up some of the gap, but if we can beat Leeds, Leicester and Chelsea, it should touch-wood be enough. Arsenal and Brighton are the two I'm slightly more worried about in our run-in, but it's in our hands and as long as we got our shit side out at Villa, it should be OK.

I think if Liverpool had started this run of recent form after the 7-0 rather than seemingly losing their way for a few weeks after, it might be more interesting.

7 minutes ago, charlierc said:

It's similar for the Toon tbf - 3 wins is probably gonna be enough. Liverpool do play twice before we do next so there is an opportunity for them to eat up some of the gap, but if we can beat Leeds, Leicester and Chelsea, it should touch-wood be enough. Arsenal and Brighton are the two I'm slightly more worried about in our run-in, but it's in our hands and as long as we got our shit side out at Villa, it should be OK.

I think if Liverpool had started this run of recent form after the 7-0 rather than seemingly losing their way for a few weeks after, it might be more interesting.

Be interesting what happens at Newcastle in the summer, as you will be in Europe and you have relied on a smaller squad and been lucky in the defensive positions. Personally think both Uniteds have got lucky this season, with the troubles at liverpool and chelsea. 

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I used to like Klopp, but have now got fed up with him. Really disappointed by the comments about the referee, I think they really need to hit managers harder when they do stuff like this.

Nah, he's always been incredibly whiny. Things like the length of grass, the width of the pitch, etc are moans that go back to the before times. 

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

Nah, he's always been incredibly whiny. Things like the length of grass, the width of the pitch, etc are moans that go back to the before times. 

I can get over that, but when people question the integrity of the officials, to me it’s a step too far. The idea that there is a big conspiracy and certain referees are against certain teams is silly

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I can get over that, but when people question the integrity of the officials, to me it’s a step too far. The idea that there is a big conspiracy and certain referees are against certain teams is silly

Especially when you manage Liverpool - who get more than a fair share of big/controversial decisions go their way (like the other big clubs, to be fair).