The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

10 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Everyone for themselves! 😅 Boris, is that you? If you saw someone drowning in 3-feet of mud, you'd be like, "What, can't you get out and save yourself?"

It's not people who can't look after themselves though is it? It becomes as much of a slog as a muddy year. For all of the sunscreen you put on, that doesn't stop the heat existing. Everyone seeking out shade, alcohol becomes less appealing, everyone's tired - until early evening when the sun finally starts to go down and the party actually starts - and as a result of all that, the vibe is sh*t.

Also - fwiw as you've blown it out of all proportion, the forecast from Accu I posted, isn't gonna leave the Farm in a mudbath anyway... 

2010 All over again!! Woohooo

8 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I can confirm it is not a parody.

When I talk about being taken to the hospital - that is for effect 

Why should I have to be virtually stuck in shade, finding it completely debilitating cos you cant handle a bit of mud?

Pretty self centred yourself.

(I'd rather it just be dry & 18° than any other weather)

Well exactly it's potato patato isn't it 🙂 

Anyone you said "Dry" that suits me 🙂

2010 All over again 🔥

1 hour ago, briddj said:

Let's GO GO GO on the 12Z

THROUGH TO GATES OPEN

Still plenty of rain on Sunday, and I think we can see that as pretty much locked in now.

A small amount of rain possible on Tuesday but really it's a dry gain.

Monday and Tuesday have temps of 21 - excellent for drying that Sunday rain.

By 9am on Wednesday morning for gates open, it's completely dry with pleasant temperatures of 17.

image.thumb.png.1e1e9201c979c43f362bd8b804fd5db3.png

During the day on Wednesday, there is a small increase in rainfall on this run, but nothing much more. Highs of 21.

image.thumb.png.4b38ae87180686d17bdaf2c8f40ea853.png

THURSDAY

Completely dry, with highs of 23.

image.thumb.png.240236adc11d0c160f987e66ae844a01.png

FRIDAY

Here comes the FINGER!

Completely dry, highs of 25.

image.thumb.png.60991768ea4d9263e4acf4c3835871cf.png

SATURDAY

This finger is really taking hold! Completely dry and highs of 25.

image.thumb.png.44ea982a65a42181691d3f019fd07951.png

SUNDAY

Completely dry, highs of 27.

image.thumb.png.279e500bc49509c52bfb51cdf667fc1f.png

SUMMARY

Scorchio! But too scorchio for some?

Bar the small amount of extra rain on Wednesday afternoon, this is another brilliant run with all the Friday rain now gone.

As you can see, the finger is stronger this time! Latest on the right.

image.thumb.png.0cd58da5465d0ceb99ace832278850a5.png

That's my lawn dead then for when I come home 🤣🤣🤣 too hot for me but great for the festival and better than mud  thank f**k I don't have to get those torture furnace buses back and forth to bath shitground 👍 

1 hour ago, Calum stoke said:

Just been called Micheal Fish in our Glastonbury WhatsApp group for sharing latest weather update. 

I wear it like a crown. 👑 

*(They are also buzzing by the latest run. Thanks to all the real Michael Fish in here)

Wasn’t it him that said there was no storm coming ? 

That 12Z has given me a semi.

And jeans at festivals make no sense to me.  The worst possible fabric for getting wet and not drying.  It chafs.  It's sweaty if it's too hot.  Shorts no matter what and if it's wet, then NOT denim ones.

2 hours ago, 2019 said:

Sorry for the delay, I had to pop to Tesco.

I'm definitely not an expert on this...

The colourful wavey lines indicate wind strength. Each line is a different weather forecast model, most of the chat is around the GSF model but there are lots of others.

I use the Beaufort scale, as I find it easier to understand than a mph or metres per second. So the number 3 means force 3, or a gentle breeze. The arrow next to the number is the direction the wind is blowing to. 

If the lines are close together, then it could be interpreted that the models closely agree with each other, and that the possibility that the forecast is right increases.

The forecast temperature through the days is probably self explanatory. The application I use, considers the ecmwf (orange) model to be the most accurate, so the temperature is extracted from that.

Some models also give rainfall in mm/3 hour, and this can be seen in the bottom half. Fortunately these are mostly zero, so dry, with a bump around 7pm, hence my daft quip about spilling beer.

There's also other stuff around relative humidity, cloud ceiling/cover and barometric pressure. 

Wow, thank you so much for explaining! Although I still think I'll leave the charts to the experts and wait for someone to break it down 😜😜

38 minutes ago, Duggyfresh44 said:

Let’s have a sweepstake on how many times Gav says ‘soaking up the atmosphere.’

Gav’s weather drinking game down two fingers worth everytime he his the above .

down the rest every time he says Glastonbury Festival 

by the end of the report you won’t give two shites about the weather

50 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Whilst I understand your (and others) concerns around temperatures, a good ridge of high pressure is the only way to ensure and rain is diverted away from the site. In June, in the south of England, high pressure almost always equates to high temperatures. To my mind (I’m no meteorologist)  a cool festival free from rain, whilst desirable, is very unlikely. All the festivals I’ve been to have either been cool with rain, or dry and hot. I’m fortunate enough to not suffer too badly with the heat, a wet bandana and plenty of fluids work wonders... but I recognise others suffer greatly with this (my own daughter being one). I hate the rain. I get enough of it up here, and it just makes everything slightly, well, damp. All that said, the festival is, and will be, fantastic irrespective of whatever the weather has in store for us.

I'm not adverse to hot weather, but the only time I remember it being unbearable was 2010 when it was relentless. The latest forecast doesn't look too bad though. Highs of 21, 23, 25, are manageable. The fact Sunday is the hottest is quite a turn up for the books because I've not got a lot on that day and was intending to take it easy anyway.

In Hamburg it's been minimum 27 for ten straight days and altho it's fine in the playground with the kids with plenty of trees, walking around Glasto is gonna be murder if it turns out to be like 2010.

53 minutes ago, sime said:

I agree. I've worn  jeans in hot weather at Glastonbury. Never had a problem. That being said, I prefer combat trousers and combat shorts nowadays but for me, jeans are fine too.

I mean, I'm not saying I'll never wear shorts, but jeans in 18-24 weather is totally fine.