The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

1 minute ago, stopwn1981 said:

Muting people’s opinions on a Glastonbury Festival forum - that’s embracing the spirit. Top drawer 

In fairness it's not opinions, it's intentional efforts at winding people up to enjoy seeing them distressed.

40 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Have you got a link? Genuinely curious what a poncho could offer to warrant £70

Weather looks ideal for me in terms of temp, if we could just avoid the rain now it'll be perfect

https://rainkiss.com/en-gb/collections/adults/products/jasper-poncho

I went for the tartan. Its so pretty, nice and long, and has elasticated cufs and a massive hood. Perfect for dancing in the rain - I love it! 

And may it remain in its oversized tartan pouch for the entire festival. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, stopwn1981 said:

Having witnessed this thread for a number of years, evidently yes. 

Not even just on this thread, how many times have you mentioned to someone that you're going to GLastonbury and they feel the need to tell you that it's suppose to rain that weekend?

32 minutes ago, Neil said:

It needs the ground to be water-logged before the festival for a mud bath. There might be some muddy spots this year but no mud bath.

Biggest issue is some flash flooding because the ground is so hard baked. It will run off an pool up in places....

When I say flooding I dont mean whole fields under water I just been bottom of hills you could potentially get large pools of water depending on how much rain and what the drainage is like. 

It’s a silly thread and people should really not let it alter their mood, given that no one has the faintest idea what the weather is actually going to do over a week away.

That is not to denigrate the likes of @briddj who puts in hard yards to present the info coming out the model. That’s fair play and clearly appreciated.

Its all a bit of fun. What will be will be - pack for all eventualities and hope for whatever kind of weather is your preference! 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, briddj said:

It was correct at the time of going to press. 😆 You can never know what's going to come next!

Looking at the GFS ensembles, the 06z Operational run is an outlier compared to the others, showing the Low pressure having more influence over the weekend.

image.thumb.png.f6c525b1cf1482ed09025c923e1b7661.png

The Operational run is the one that @briddj had the pictures for (Thicker Green line in the above) whereas the majority are showing the high pressure having more influence (mainly drier too), though as there is such variation in the lines as we progress into next week, it is still far too early to have any clarity on what the weather will actually be like over the festival. The main positive from this is that the average (thick white line) is trending up from Tuesday onwards...

Tbf for last year all I wanted was full sunshine (wish pretty much mostly granted). I remember there being a few showers at Arlo Parks, which funnily enough was my favourite moment of the festival with everyone waving sunflowers back in forth in the drizzle, big smiles and not a single person looking upset about the weather. 

Things'll be alright no matter what the outcome!

20 minutes ago, Sasperella2 said:

I went for the tartan. Its so pretty, nice and long, and has elasticated cufs and a massive hood. Perfect for dancing in the rain - I love it! 

Well, even though I own a lovely North Face jacket AND a gold knee length rain mac, I now want one of these too.

22 minutes ago, Sasperella2 said:

Ive got the leopard print one. Tried it out in a torrential thunderstorm yesterday and it did the job. Hoping mine also stays in it's pouch!

36 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

In fairness it's not opinions, it's intentional efforts at winding people up to enjoy seeing them distressed.

It’s just someone trying to be a bit of a Character. They’ve been doing it for years. It’s not supposed to be taken seriously.