The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

26 minutes ago, Sheffield Steve said:

That’s not strictly true. Last year we dodged a bullet.  The models predicted showers last year, and as has been pointed out in this thread, several heavy showers passed very close to the site. We got lucky.  But the models can never and will never be able to predict where showers will fall to within a few miles. 

At this range, 2 weeks out, the models can’t predict where rain will fall on any particular day, but they can identify a trend towards drier/wetter/hotter/colder weather… 

Clearly not because it’s been flip flopping between drier/wetter/hotter/colder weather from one update to the next! There is no trend, it’s too early. 

Edited by DYRTFT

18 hours ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

2005 was my first Glasto.  I loved it.  And I've been to every one ever since.

So I reckon it'll be ok.

As have I. The one I’ve managed to get tickets for. But it doesn’t change my point. No rain !!!! 😂

1 hour ago, MgH97 said:

How accurate are these models?

These models were forecasting last year to be really rough right up until the day. Barely rained at all. I was worrying like hell for 2 weeks in the run up last year. It's genuinely pointless agonizing over them at this stage. 

2 minutes ago, T-Mouse said:

These models were forecasting last year to be really rough right up until the day. Barely rained at all. I was worrying like hell for 2 weeks in the run up last year. It's genuinely pointless agonizing over them at this stage. 

Yes it was the same in 2019.

3 hours ago, donthaveacoolname said:

As a whole '05 was a nicer experience than '07, 

Definitely, 2005 was my first Glasto and 2007 was my second. 2005 was gorgeous until the massive Friday morning storm and got better again as the weekend went on. 2007 was absolutely grim, pretty much non stop rain. I didn't try for a ticket in 2008 or do any festivals after being washed out at 3 the year before. Edited to say I would never not try for tickets again!

Edited by Helsbels
Adding comment

5 hours ago, Duggyfresh44 said:

I spoke to a Security guard after that storm in 2005. He said the chat on the walkie-talkies basically said another half hour of that rain and they were going to cancel the festival. 

Yep Sounds familiar!  I was working security on blue route, night shift and stood on my tod, never been so terrified when the storm started! My first festival too! Hasn't stopped me going to every one since though!

So yeh firmly in the NFRNFC camp 

30 minutes ago, Helsbels said:

Definitely, 2005 was my first Glasto and 2007 was my second. 2005 was gorgeous until the massive Friday morning storm and got better again as the weekend went on. 2007 was absolutely grim, pretty much non stop rain. I didn't try for a ticket in 2008 or do any festivals after being washed out at 3 the year before

Oh 100% 2007 was horrific. Wet and cold. My worst Glastonbury by far. 

Which is why No f**king rain!!! EVER

2010 All over again. 

3 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

The only miserable rain Ive been in at Glastonbury was after U2. It was windy & raining.

It was raining pretty hard, hard & lamping it down. No let up.

I watched the Lancashire hotpots in the Crossaint Neuf. 

The other times it's rained have been enjoyable. I'll never understand anyone who doesnt like a dramatic storm. 2014 was brilliant. 

I think that is the worst weather I’ve experienced at Glasto. Changed my plans as to what to see just to try and get into tents. Went to Avalon for Chumbawamba, then KT Tunstall, then onto the cabaret tent for some stand up before braving it again to watch Cee Lo Green at West Holts. Still got soaked to the skin.

13 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I think that is the worst weather I’ve experienced at Glasto. Changed my plans as to what to see just to try and get into tents. Went to Avalon for Chumbawamba, then KT Tunstall, then onto the cabaret tent for some stand up before braving it again to watch Cee Lo Green at West Holts. Still got soaked to the skin.

On a side note... how were chumbawamba? I really wish Id seen them

17 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

God yeah, Cee Lo Green at West Holts 😩 It was a whirling vortex of wind and hammering rain. I had a poncho over my waterproof jacket and waterproof trousers as well as wellies, so stayed dry underneath. But it was still hard going.

5 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

On a side note... how were chumbawamba? I really wish Id seen them

Great fun. Lots of energy and as you’d expect at Glasto, lots of political chat between songs. Very much preaching to the converted though as it was stacked with fans who knew every single word.

5 minutes ago, phillyfaddle said:

God yeah, Cee Lo Green at West Holts 😩 It was a whirling vortex of wind and hammering rain. I had a poncho over my waterproof jacket and waterproof trousers as well as wellies, so stayed dry underneath. But it was still hard going.

Awful wasn’t it. I did the jacket/poncho combo too! Poncho kept getting blown all over the shop!

1 hour ago, T-Mouse said:

The whole storm system that was being forecast did actually form I think? Just ended up being about 50 miles west of the festival. You could see it from up on the Park on one of the days. Looked nasty. 

1 hour ago, Helsbels said:

Definitely, 2005 was my first Glasto and 2007 was my second. 2005 was gorgeous until the massive Friday morning storm and got better again as the weekend went on. 2007 was absolutely grim, pretty much non stop rain. I didn't try for a ticket in 2008 or do any festivals after being washed out at 3 the year before. Edited to say I would never not try for tickets again!

Yeh that was the thing about 2007 - the whole summer was a non stop sh*t show. We got washed out at Global and I had mates who went to Glade and went back to their cars at the end to find them full of water!