The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

In 2016 during the build up I remember saying to my boss "I hate muddy ones, once I've done my shifts I'm leaving"

His daughter turned round as said "If you do that we're going to continually text you telling you what an amazing time we're having"

I stayed.

45 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

I love it when the forecast looks rubbish this far out. We know how changeable English weather is so it's guaranteed to do the exact opposite. So thanks for this, I now KNOW its going to be sunshine 🌞 

You are now officially crowned the anti nal 

OK, time for the Thursday chart updates from ECMWF. It continues its theme of the festival week being above average temperature-wise. Which, given that the average maximum is only 19c at the end of June, it’s predicting temperatures up into the 20s:

IMG_4058.thumb.jpeg.b3506df9500c7cd443c6d15a07b5a1af.jpeg

However, it continues to latch on to the theme that the Met Office has been hinting at, with unsettled (probably showery) conditions spreading in from the south. It predicts all of SW Europe having a wet week (green is above average rainfall):

IMG_4059.thumb.jpeg.f50e60b1c31187d2a4798ccd0f5864b2.jpeg

All to play for as we head into June next week…

12 minutes ago, Sheffield Steve said:

OK, time for the Thursday chart updates from ECMWF. It continues its theme of the festival week being above average temperature-wise. Which, given that the average maximum is only 19c at the end of June, it’s predicting temperatures up into the 20s:

IMG_4058.thumb.jpeg.b3506df9500c7cd443c6d15a07b5a1af.jpeg

However, it continues to latch on to the theme that the Met Office has been hinting at, with unsettled (probably showery) conditions spreading in from the south. It predicts all of SW Europe having a wet week (green is above average rainfall):

IMG_4059.thumb.jpeg.f50e60b1c31187d2a4798ccd0f5864b2.jpeg

All to play for as we head into June next week…

This cannae be right. Glasgow is pink??? 

2 minutes ago, sprocketrocket said:

I'm sure they'll prefer it to to 5 days of heavy rain, all because you wanted clouds. 

I can’t remember if it was 2017 or 2019 when a massive cheer broke out around the site when a cloud showed up and gave everyone a brief respite from the blazing sun. 

Bring on nicely average. 

14 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Heat also comes from no clouds. I’m happy with my F&B tent in the sun but will everyone else cope with blazing sunshine early mornings after a heavy night? 

Last year on the wednesday, I sat at my tent under a brolly & didnt move til about 6pm. No alcohol. Nothing else.

If it was hot all weekend, that'd be the full weekend for me. Tbh, it'd ruin it to a point I might as well be at home or I make myself ill.

But you pay your money, you take your chances. If it's hot, Im not gunna moan about it. Just got to deal with it. The option was - don't buy a ticket. Same for people if it rains. It's outside in Britain. Deal with it.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

15 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I can’t remember if it was 2017 or 2019 when a massive cheer broke out around the site when a cloud showed up and gave everyone a brief respite from the blazing sun. 

Bring on nicely average. 

I'd forgotten about 2019. That was perfect. More of that. 

On 5/24/2023 at 8:06 PM, TheBoz said:

2019 was tough but I'd take that over 2016 any day.

Pretty much. Anyone claiming 2019 was great - weather wise - can't remember it. Friday/Saturday were way too hot, to the point that anywhere with shade was hugely oversubscribed as thousands flocked to wherever shade could be found.

Edited by kalifire

42 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Heat also comes from no clouds. I’m happy with my F&B tent in the sun but will everyone else cope with blazing sunshine early mornings after a heavy night? 

Agree - this is hideous. 

I hid in the Acoustic stage for a good chunk of saturday in 2019. There must be somewhere better. Glade or Strummerville if you can deal with the hill? 

Love how in between weather updates this thread descends into the inevitable rain v mud chat.