Primavera Sound Barcelona 2023 + Primavera Sound Madrid 2023

Fnmentaluk

What are folks thoughts on the new Depeche Mode?  Admittedly I'm taking more of an interest because of the Primavera booking, even though I'm a fan of their 80s/90s stuff, but it sounds pretty strong & I've heard they don't really do 'greatest hits' when it comes to their setlists

On 3/24/2023 at 9:21 PM, livenstu said:

What are folks thoughts on the new Depeche Mode?  Admittedly I'm taking more of an interest because of the Primavera booking, even though I'm a fan of their 80s/90s stuff, but it sounds pretty strong & I've heard they don't really do 'greatest hits' when it comes to their setlists

I’m intrigued what they do as they played a festival in the UK on their last tour and just did their tour setlist and had a go at the crowd for not being energised because they didn’t play any songs people knew until 30-40 mins in. I think they then changed their festival setlists after to be more on the hits and less on the new album. 

20 minutes ago, chilirocker said:

I’m intrigued what they do as they played a festival in the UK on their last tour and just did their tour setlist and had a go at the crowd for not being energised because they didn’t play any songs people knew until 30-40 mins in. I think they then changed their festival setlists after to be more on the hits and less on the new album. 

Wasn’t that IoW though? Somewhat better suited to the LGx, etc. of the touring circuit. 

On 3/24/2023 at 3:52 PM, DDave said:

Best thing that came out of that was Caribou being on the Main stage. Looked and sounded fantastic. 

And it meant we got the great (IMO) one-two of Caribou and Jamie xx, where they had previously been clashing. 

It softened the blow somewhat, though I was still pretty gutted as I'd bought a one weekend ticket purely to see the Strokes... 

• Upvote 1

On 3/28/2023 at 11:12 AM, aaalive said:

After noticed that my hotel "near" the stadium will be 30 minutes walking distance from the shuttle bus stop, i changed my hotel to that Mendez Alvaro station area. 

10 hours ago, Karlos12345 said:

Sorry, I’m not a regular in this thread so this might be a dumb question: Is the lineup officially complete? Any chance there is room for a suprise headliner? Did New Order come out of nowhere or was this expected cause they were missing a big name?

No surprise additional headliners in past (except for replacements) and the whole line-up is generally released at once with only a bunch smaller names being added few weeks before the festival for Hidden Stage (however, this wasn't the case in 2022). So, if the sale aren't that bad that they need to add more new big names, I would consider the current line-up to be final (except for replacements).

And yes, New Order came out of nowhere, I don't recall another case of adding a brand new headliner (not as a replacement) months after the line-up release.

Edited by pipan
  • Thanks 1

few weeks left for discoveries! which next big thing should we listen to among the acts in the tiny fonts? Wednesday are quite strong, I am looking forward to their album. 
On the other hand, is st vincent going to tour daddy's home? given she already played madcool, glastonbury and loads of other venues around Europe, is she just going to give more of the same for primavera? 

On 4/1/2023 at 9:19 AM, pipan said:

No surprise additional headliners in past (except for replacements) and the whole line-up is generally released at once with only a bunch smaller names being added few weeks before the festival for Hidden Stage (however, this wasn't the case in 2022). So, if the sale aren't that bad that they need to add more new big names, I would consider the current line-up to be final (except for replacements).

And yes, New Order came out of nowhere, I don't recall another case of adding a brand new headliner (not as a replacement) months after the line-up release.

new order did not come out of nowhere. It's a sort of replacement for fka twigs, who is also a big act, despite being no headliner. However, this kind of upgrade is actually unprecedented. Maybe phoenix last year were randomly added to weekend 2 just some weeks after the line up release

26 minutes ago, Whos3000_ said:

new order did not come out of nowhere. It's a sort of replacement for fka twigs, who is also a big act, despite being no headliner. However, this kind of upgrade is actually unprecedented. Maybe phoenix last year were randomly added to weekend 2 just some weeks after the line up release

I'm fairly sure New Order were booked before FKA Twigs cancelled. The band wanted to announce on the 40th anniversary of Blue Monday.

On unrelated note Hidden Stage looks completely dead now with the concerning cramping of the space (more people attending vs a smaller site this year compared to 2017-19). 

5 minutes ago, davidoffescassi said:

I think we could have a few medium-small names, but not headliners. I just want the timetables

Might get them later this year than usual if they decide to simultaneously release Madrid and Barcelona's schedules. Unlikely to get them before mid-May in any case.

Funny, I think we're getting the schedule earlier than ever. Looking at how many posts and social media content they are uploading I guess they want to bring attention to the line-up, the acts and eventually to the tickets to shift as many as possible. Releasing the schedule earlier than previous years could generate more content and also help the undecided folks since they'll be able to check what artists they will actually see. I'm thinking early May but it's just a thought.

Edited by Nesser
  • Upvote 1

Wouldnt it work the other way?

People see names on poster and assume they can see the names they like - releasing early would merely bring attention to clashes.

Plus they’d end up reissuing it a few times as timings shift which would be a pain for them and would annoy people when it creates a new clash.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Nesser said:

Funny, I think we're getting the schedule earlier than ever. Looking at how many posts and social media content they are uploading I guess they want to bring attention to the line-up, the acts and eventually to the tickets to shift as many as possible. Releasing the schedule earlier than previous years could generate more content and also help the undecided folks since they'll be able to check what artists they will actually see. I'm thinking early May but it's just a thought.

They said today to someone on instagram, 2 weeks before the festival.

Real Madrid is playing UCL, if they advance, the secong semi-final game is on 16 or 17. If they always showed Barça games, expect the same with Madrid in a final on saturday.

Edited by joselito

9 hours ago, davidoffescassi said:

I think we could have a few medium-small names, but not headliners. I just want the timetables

The Walkmen is a strong possibility. Only playing a opening act gig in Copenhagen june 10th, only gig in europe this month.

Other one is Young Fathers. Playing 2th in France and 10th on BKS.