Primavera Sound Barcelona 2023 + Primavera Sound Madrid 2023

Fnmentaluk

4 hours ago, frankburns said:

Not sure if tickets are really selling poorly but tbh I really hope that this rumour turns out to be true. In that case the organisers might acknowledge that they are losing more old fans than winning new ones with bookings like Skrillex, Ghost and Maneskin.

I don't think Ghost is a particular bad booking. They've had metal bands headline before, such as Slayer, and Ghost are pretty fun. It's not like theyre just some boring generic pop shite

• Upvote 1

The headliners the edition before last were: Erykah Badu, Interpol, Tame Impala, Miley Cyrus,  Solange, J Balvin.

• Pretty unremarkable IMO but festival was considered a great success, partly because of the depth of the rest of the lineup

This time Blur, Halsey, Kendrick Lamar, Depeche Mode, Calvin Harris and Rosalia.

• Possibly slightly bigger names than the penultimate edition but also for my tastes a mixed bag and yet looking elsewhere down the bill there is plenty of good stuff

Not sure what point I'm trying to make here. Er, I guess if those average headliner names worked recently, they can work again this time!

And as has been said above, the biggest problem is the much more expensive total costs for foreigners flying in and the more expensive costs for locals too in a cost-of-living crisis.

With Madrid, I don't see them attracting many foreigners and above all the location will put a lot of people off, given the need to make a return schlep each day.

Edited by xxialac

47 minutes ago, xxialac said:

The headliners the edition before last were: Erykah Badu, Interpol, Tame Impala, Miley Cyrus,  Solange, J Balvin.

• Pretty unremarkable IMO but festival was considered a great success, partly because of the depth of the rest of the lineup

This time Blur, Halsey, Kendrick Lamar, Depeche Mode, Calvin Harris and Rosalia.

• Possibly slightly bigger names than the penultimate edition but also for my tastes a mixed bag and yet looking elsewhere down the bill there is plenty of good stuff

Not sure what point I'm trying to make here. Er, I guess if those average headliner names worked recently, they can work again this time!

And as has been said above, the biggest problem is the much more expensive total costs for foreigners flying in and the more expensive costs for locals too in a cost-of-living crisis.

With Madrid, I don't see them attracting many foreigners and above all the location will put a lot of people off, given the need to make a return schlep each day.

Not that changes much your point, but 2019 was not a success by any measure.
Putting asside the PR (festivals never sell less tickets according to their press releases), on 2019 Friday and particularly Thursday the venue was not even at 75% capacity. I myself got a free VIP pass that year, and many people I know got invited. This is tipically a sign of sales going bad. 

9 minutes ago, MagneticField85 said:

Not that changes much your point, but 2019 was not a success by any measure.
Putting asside the PR (festivals never sell less tickets according to their press releases), on 2019 Friday and particularly Thursday the venue was not even at 75% capacity. I myself got a free VIP pass that year, and many people I know got invited. This is tipically a sign of sales going bad. 

How do you know there were less than 75% of tickets sold for those two days that year?

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

How do you know there were less than 75% of tickets sold for those two days that year?

I see. It's possible you're right of course but I'm not sure humans are the best judge of this level of complex assessment (unless it's a stadium gig).

For example I was absolutely convinced there were many more people on that notorious first day last year, yet the records say there were 15,000 fewer people on Thursday than there were on the Saturday.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I see. It's possible you're right of course but I'm not sure humans are the best judge of this level of complex assessment (unless it's a stadium gig).

For example I was absolutely convinced there were many more people on that notorious first day last year, yet the records say there were 15,000 fewer people on Thursday than there were on the Saturday.

I say you are right and the numbers shared with the press were ra-balanced to save face. Counter-measures taken Friday onwards in terms of crowd control could make comparisions difficult, but to me 2022 W1 Thursday was the most crowded day of the festival. Anybody who attended the 6 days will agree. I never trust official attendance numbers in festivals, tend to be bullshit when there is any issue (poor sales, logistic problems, etc).

2 hours ago, Nesser said:

The only word that comes to mind when reading some worries about casual punters not attending after I see a day with Kendrick Lamar, Depeche Mode and Skrillex and another with Rosalía is delusional tbh.

I don't think Depeche and Skrileex mean that much for gen z and casual-goers. In the casual-side of my group of friends there wasn't much excitement this year for headliners besides kendrick and rosalia. I don't know if that can justify at least 600+ euro for casual-goers from abroad. 
For  not first-timers, this edition is quite strong imo

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, chilirocker said:

I know it will be a pain in the arse getting back, but I think Sitges is the place to stay if you're looking for a cheaper option.

I thought about it. Getting the first train back at sunrise, then doing it again after lunch. It's about a 40mn journey to Estacion de Francia.

12 hours ago, Whos3000_ said:

I don't think Depeche and Skrileex mean that much for gen z and casual-goers. In the casual-side of my group of friends there wasn't much excitement this year for headliners besides kendrick and rosalia. I don't know if that can justify at least 600+ euro for casual-goers from abroad. 
For  not first-timers, this edition is quite strong imo

If you think that a stadium-size band with a stadium tour announced don't mean that much to casual-goers I guess it's kind of pointless to continue this conversation. Depeche Mode is literally the biggest band ever booked for the festival and tho a lot of die-hard fans will go just the day they play they also know that DM will probably come back for the second leg of the tour so that leaves the casual-goers as the "niche" target.

On 2/14/2023 at 9:10 AM, xxialac said:

Wait until the last minute for the best prices. It's very likely to pay off but no guarantees of course.

Since ticketswap is not working for this event, which platforms do you suggest? Does dice allow to lower the selling price? Do people in dice cue get tickets at discounted prices? 

40 minutes ago, Fabrizzo said:

Too bad, Afx was perfect to complete the Saturday headliners, let's see if they will add something anyway...

I was expecting sonar to get amnesia scanner, so maybe they are still an option? I saw footage of their new live show at ctm in Berlin and it looked wild. They also play rewire festival. 
In other news, Squid have a new album out in June but they seem to tour only later in the year. I'd love them to get added 😞

Edited by Whos3000_

6 hours ago, chilirocker said:

They’ve been doing 5 hour sets, I wonder if they are slated to do a Cupra takeover. 

Would work perfectly as counter programming vs kendrick + depeche on the main stage. However, it was stated in the press release by PS that Skrillex would be "headlining". Don't know if that means that he is due to play main stage though (maybe he will do both?)