Primavera Sound Barcelona 2023 + Primavera Sound Madrid 2023

Fnmentaluk

Who do we think could be game-changers in terms of new releases? I mean something similar to what happened to Tyler the creator from 2018 to 2022. There are rumours Fka twigs is going to release a major new record, aren’t they? The proper follow up to Magdalene would definitely allow us to leave any maneskin x Calvin Harris complaints at the door and give her the co-headlining status she doesn’t have in the poster. 
As for Caroline Polachek: the new album is super hyped but the show from last year already had some of the new tracks so I am not super excited about the booking 

On 1/28/2023 at 10:04 AM, neacaisa said:

tbh i was pretty excited about maneskin but their new album is mediocre at best so i am no longer that interested in their show. but that Saturday is still stacked imo. 

All the good songs on the album are those written only by themselves, those several songs in the 2nd part of the album. I hope they stop using pop producers from now on

On 1/25/2023 at 6:06 PM, UsernameHere said:

Agree with what OhJesus said. Also would add that stages make a big difference for me. If I'm torn between 2 acts I want to see, one playing Mordor and the other playing RayBan (Cupra) I'll go see the act playing the RayBan because I know I'll enjoy it more.

There's a significant difference in atmosphere depending on the stage at Primavera - more than I've noticed elsewhere.

On 1/26/2023 at 9:39 AM, ConfidenceMan said:

Last year, I had a very similar experience to you. Leaving early or not enjoying a few bits because of atmosphere... For me, it's a case of identifying 1-2 must sees each day and working around that. I'll usually catch 7-10 acts a day, but once I've seen and enjoyed my must sees, I don't mind if that number is lower or higher. 

With distances and overlaps, it's just too tricky to catch everything. 

So, for me, I made sure i got good spots for Fred Again, Beach House, The National, Nick Cave, Jamie xx and Caribou, and I bailed out of Gorillaz because I was in a bad spot so wasn't enjoying it and caught Idles, which was loadsa fun. 

A successful weekend even if my pre fest wishlist was twice as long as that. 

Gotta make peace with the idea of clashes and missing out at some stage if I've been going to festivals for 15+ years 😅

Cheers both.

Yep think that's good advice re a few must-sees and then after that, what will be will be.

Need to make sure I see something at Rayban/Cupra this year. Only caught bits and pieces of DJ Shadow (I think), Mogwai and Disclosure but believe I missed some doozies with Idles and Little Simz.

Would also love to see something in the Auditori but am i right in thinking it's gone this year?

15 minutes ago, BA_Barrabus said:

Cheers both.

Yep think that's good advice re a few must-sees and then after that, what will be will be.

Need to make sure I see something at Rayban/Cupra this year. Only caught bits and pieces of DJ Shadow (I think), Mogwai and Disclosure but believe I missed some doozies with Idles and Little Simz.

Would also love to see something in the Auditori but am i right in thinking it's gone this year?

I was deeply worried about Auditori but there have been some confident assertions that it's still on.

One serious weakness of Madrid as appears to be no equivalent and there are some bands that are infinitely better in this kind of environment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BA_Barrabus said:

Cheers both.

PS still in Auditori calendar https://ccib.es/es/organizacion-eventos/agenda-ccib/page/2/

• Thanks 1

On 1/30/2023 at 9:40 AM, BA_Barrabus said:

Cheers both.

Little Simz and Idles are both in my top 5 sets last year. I did miss DJ Shadow which I regret and by the time I arrived for Dinosaur Jr it wasn't possible to get in.

The Smile on w2 were amazing there as well. I was floored by the sound quality of that show. 

A surprising one was Jessie Ware. I had no interest but the group I was with dragged me along about half way through and the atmosphere was great. The gays were so up for it lol.

31 minutes ago, xxialac said:

What won’t people like?

Beyoncé not being in the line up and being around 4 days later in Barcelona. I can assume she was off any festival league but casual festivalgoers won’t and will ask PS why they have booked Calvin Harris and Halsey instead of Beyoncé 

Edited by Whos3000_

Just now, Whos3000_ said:

Beyoncé not being in the line up and being around 4 days later in Barcelona. I can assume she was off any festival league but casual festivalgoers won’t and will ask PS why they have booked Calvin Harris and Halsey and not Beyoncé 

More fool them if so! 

Not sure who these people are but sure they will get over it, particularly if they use their eyes and see she is playing all approx 50 of her gigs in stadiums and arenas.

• Upvote 1

Alfonso Lanza is currently having a Q&A at Radio Primavera Sound:

Primavera won’t be using the Sant Adria site [where BITS etc traditionally were] this year because we can’t use the bridge. The festival site will be more compact: there will be less walking.

The stages that were in Sant Adria will be relocated to the main Forum site. The capacity of the festival will be reduced in line with these changes, as the public wanted. The Primavera stage will be bigger.

Q: What can we expect from the concerts in the Auditori de Barcelona this year? expect from the concerts in the Auditori de Barcelona this year?

AL: Swans, John Cale, Laurie Anderson (I think), Boris…

At the Lope de Vega Theatre in Madrid there will be a parallel [Auditori] program during daytime as a warm up to the Arganda del Rey fanzone.

There will be a reservation system via AccessTicket. To ensure that people with reservations actually attend, the reservation will cost a ‘symbolic’ price. This will be returned as a credit in AccessTicket to consume at the festival when entering the venue.

Edited by Orens
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

No BITS has made my decision to swerve it this year feel a little better, a real shame as that's such a lovely area to hang out in and a really nice place for late/electronic stuff.

We'll see if they come good about the capacity, but it's not looking like a sell-out anyway so it's an easy 'out' for them to say they've reduced it due to listening to the public.

This is pretty dramatic news. Three stages all gone and as they can't add them to the main area given there is no space, instead they will cannibalise existing space.

No Tous.

No Dice

No NTS.

The BITS area was huge. Unless they reduce the capacity dramatically, which I don't see, then most of those people are now brought into in the main area.

The people who complained about the bridge will have had the effect that the site will now be surely be significantly more crowded. 

Oh and it also guarantees no Hidden Stage again this year.

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

This is pretty dramatic news. Three stages all gone and as they can't add them to the main area given there is no space, instead they will cannibalise existing space.

No Tous.

No Dice

No NTS.

The BITS area was huge. Unless they reduce the capacity dramatically, which I don't see, then most of those people are now brought into in the main area.

The people who complained about the bridge will have had the effect that the site will now be surely be significantly more crowded. 

I feel like they have not sold the amount of tickets that they predicted, so it makes sense for them to reduce capacity and blame the bridge. They could have done what they did last year, even though it was an annoying walk, it wasn't awful. 

4 minutes ago, xxialac said:

No Tous.

No Dice

No NTS.

Well, he said this also: "The stages that were in Sant Adria will be relocated to the main Forum site. The capacity of the festival will be reduced in line with these changes, as the public wanted. The Primavera stage will be bigger."

So we will still have the stages. Will be interesting to see how they will do this. 

Just now, Martin_89 said:

Well, he said this also: "The stages that were in Sant Adria will be relocated to the main Forum site. The capacity of the festival will be reduced in line with these changes, as the public wanted. The Primavera stage will be bigger."

So we will still have the stages. Will be interesting to see how they will do this. 

Presumably e.g. one stage will simply replace Cupra X Boiler Room, one stage will replace where the Hidden Stage was, one stage will replace Warehouse etc.

They cannot create new space as there simply isn't any available space!

Not sure I buy the theory that they cannot shift tickets. Having sold 200% of previous ticket levels last year, they can surely sell half of that this year.