Future headliners

NoBuses

13 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

A but pointlessly pedantic really, I used my mum specifically as an example based on me knowing her and her music taste, and the fact that she knows who Stormzy is, but will probably never know who who Fred Again is.

Of course there are always exceptions to anything, but Lauren Laverne Annie Mac and Jo Whiley are radio DJs, how many mums in the world are radio djs? How much of the population are radio djs? 0.00000001%? Most people’s mums aren’t Djs or radio Djs, using such extreme examples to disprove something only serves to actually undermine the point you’re tying to make.

The point is mums aren't a cohesive group of anything - age, class, race, money, interests. The only thing we have in common is that we're women. So basically you're saying that women only like a certain type of music. Which is clearly batsht. 

1 minute ago, giantkatestacks said:

The point is mums aren't a cohesive group of anything - age, class, race, money, interests. The only thing we have in common is that we're women. So basically you're saying that women only like a certain type of music. Which is clearly batsht. 

No malice in it though is there, and 99% of people understand the reference and the intention without getting worked up about it. Using female radio DJs who are also mums as a counter argument to it is using a ridiculously narrow group of people as well.

5 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Fred Again getting nominated for both Best Artist and Best Album at The Brit Awards. Goes towards the 'maybe future headliner' talk. Unsure if Bicep got that push?

Fred got nominated for Best Dance Act too! Bicep I think have only been nominated for Best New Artist and Best British Group (didn't win either).

1 hour ago, chazwwe said:

Fred Again getting nominated for both Best Artist and Best Album at The Brit Awards. Goes towards the 'maybe future headliner' talk. Unsure if Bicep got that push?

Bicep need more words to make it really

Fred discussion was a few pages back (it started the mum one)

2 hours ago, BenG92 said:

Again, it's all in good fun from most people. You can usually tell when the snotty types are actually being snotty about it.

Bingo.

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Mansplained, in fact.

That's sexist.

3 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Dad rock is also not great (no stereotyping is) but it is at least describing a type of person that does exist in that there are lots of older men who like white men with guitars solely as their type of music. The Mum comments effectively equate Mums as the sort of people who don't actually know much. It is an awful lot more derogatory. 

While you're ranking stereotypes - where does the "white men with guitars" stuff rank? It surely isn't a "type of music" as you state, and it's being thrown around here all the time rather freely. Nobody is getting worked up over that though, as we understand that stuff like "mums", "dad rock" and "white men with guitars" have become memes essentially, a quick and simplified way to get something across, not meant maliciously and derogatorily.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, gfa said:

Bicep need more words to make it really

Fred discussion was a few pages back (it started the mum one)

I don’t think they’ll go down that route personally.

I think they could headline The Other off their next album, but that’ll be the ceiling. 

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

I don’t think they’ll go down that route personally.

I think they could headline The Other off their next album, but that’ll be the ceiling. 

I don't either and agree with the other - i meant make it as in pyramid (hence they won't because no proper lyrics)

To be fair that new song Water has full lyrics

Edited by gfa

9 minutes ago, gfa said:

I don't either and agree with the other - i meant make it as in pyramid (hence they won't because no proper lyrics)

To be fair that new song Water has full lyrics

2 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

Apricots has lyrics, I just have no clue what they are 

They have a few tines with lyrics, but it’s not your “White Noise” or “Hey Boy Hey Girl” level of singalong. 

I don’t think there’ll be an electronic Pyramid headliner in the near future, Other stage will be the ceiling I think, Fred included. 

• 2 weeks later...

Next 10 years? Dark horse, but Greta Van Fleet. Real Led Zep, Rush, Queen, Aerosmith vibes with them and they keep putting out good songs. If they can build a little bank of concert-worthy songs I think they'll headline. 

Edited by Redacted

1 hour ago, Jose Pose said:

Who do you mean most people?

Most people have known about him since Marea at the very least.

He's been working behind the scenes on big songs for almost 10 years is what he means

Most people didn't know about him till the boiler room set either, only about 6 months ago.

16 minutes ago, gfa said:

He's been working behind the scenes on big songs for almost 10 years is what he means

Most people didn't know about him till the boiler room set either, only about 6 months ago.

Ah right. Well obviously Marea was massive so I heard about him then when that was doing the rounds and did my deep dive on him at that point, so I’m aware of his background. I’m actually less bothered about him now than a year ago, was desperate for him to be doing Glastonbury this time a year back, but my interest has faded a little bit since then.

Marea was also played incessantly on the speakers at the stages between acts at Glastonbury last year on some advert type thing, so I’ve no idea how people hadn’t heard of him at the very least from that.

39 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

Ah right. Well obviously Marea was massive so I heard about him then when that was doing the rounds and did my deep dive on him at that point, so I’m aware of his background. I’m actually less bothered about him now than a year ago, was desperate for him to be doing Glastonbury this time a year back, but my interest has faded a little bit since then.

Marea was also played incessantly on the speakers at the stages between acts at Glastonbury last year on some advert type thing, so I’ve no idea how people hadn’t heard of him at the very least from that.

Marea was big in dance circles but nothing compared to how big he is actually in the mainstream

• 4 months later...

Have been musing about potential future first time Pyramid headliners. Probably covering old ground on the forum but the most obvious contenders seem to be:

• Taylor
  • Dua 
  • Madonna
  • Sam Fender
  • Rihanna
  • The 1975
  • Harry Styles 
  • George Ezra 
  • The Weeknd (if he were to accept a lower payday)
  • Lizzo? 
  • AC/DC?

Then there are pop acts like Gaga, Miley and Katy Perry who potentially could - but would maybe need another big hit/album to headline, given they've all played the Pyramid before but lower down. 

Possible heritage acts who haven't headlined - Nick Cave & BS (personally think he should get the nod before he packs it in given how good he and the BS are live), Depeche Mode, Strokes (can't really see this ever happening but never say never). 

Little Simz and Dave maybe both also potentials?

Who have I missed?