Should Nina Kraviz have been booked for Arcadia?

blutarsky

12 minutes ago, gfa said:

Theres assumptions on both sides of this argument - although unless i'm missing something there is no reason why she wouldn't pay tax, Russian or elsewhere? Regardless of her views if she pays russian tax she's still funding putin - which is the same reason why international companies have all boycotted Russia

Not even going to bother replying to the second part.

Absolutely this whole thread is based on assumptions on her political stance & her tax liabilities. 

I still think it's as simple as see her at Arcadia if you like her music or don't 😊 

1 minute ago, FatAmmy said:

If any artists are German taxpayers, they're funding putin via the purchase of Russian oil....how far we wanna take this?

We sell weapons to Saudi Arabia that they use to bomb kids in Yemen. Should every Boris Johnson supporter also be banned from performing at the festival? 

The world is an awful place to live in...and the majority of those in power are hypocrits. It's stupid to start suggesting that people shouldn't play a festival because they support the country they were born in or their leader.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Mark_safc said:

We sell weapons to Saudi Arabia that they use to bomb kids in Yemen. Should every Boris Johnson supporter also be banned from performing at the festival? 

The world is an awful place to live in...and the majority of those in power are hypocrits. It's stupid to start suggesting that people shouldn't play a festival because they support the country they were born in or their leader.

Yes please.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, FatAmmy said:

If any artists are German taxpayers, they're funding putin via the purchase of Russian oil....how far we wanna take this?

This is a fair point. I still think she is pro-putin but the line is hard to draw and she hasn't said anything pro-putin for a while.

Just now, gfa said:

This is a fair point. I still think she is pro-putin but the line is hard to draw and she hasn't said anything pro-putin for a while.

I for sure think the discussion should be about whether she is pro-putin or not rather than auxillary questions that can get a bit silly

6 minutes ago, Mark_safc said:

Yes 100% she should be booked. Her political views should not be taken into account at all. 

World politics are very complicated and in the west we only hear / see the propaganda churned out by our media. Couldn't give a toss whether she is a Putin supporter or not...she is a talented DJ and no doubt her set at Arcadia will be great.

You're missing the point.

If she is Pro-Russian state, Pro-Putin and whatever else goes with that, imo she shouldn't be given a platform at Glastonbury because it's in direct contradiction with the festivals ethos.

It's like saying it's fine to have Jars Bolsonaro on the Other Stage when you've got David Attenborough speaking at the Pyramid.

16 minutes ago, Mark_safc said:

I'm assuming that's a light hearted joke because you don't like Boris. If it's not then in reality half of the UK artists / performers would have to be scratched off...

I guarantee you half of UK artists are not Tories. I actually think if we were to ban artists who support Boris Johnson you wouldn't find it would change that much at all. 

1 minute ago, SouthbanKen said:

To be fair, that is exactly what blisterpack has been arguing for. 

One person believes it should be a blanket ban. I think for most if Pussy Riot were booked they'd get a standing ovation for all the anti-Putin work they have done for years. 

42 minutes ago, gfa said:

Theres assumptions on both sides of this argument - although unless i'm missing something there is no reason why she wouldn't pay tax, Russian or elsewhere? Regardless of her views if she pays russian tax she's still funding putin - which is the same reason why international companies have all boycotted Russia

Not even going to bother replying to the second part.

Sure she will pay tax, but afaik, if you earn a lot of money in different countries, then generally you pay that money in those countries. Sports people will pay tax on prize money in the country where they won the money (unless there are double taxation agreements between the host and their home nation). So there is a distinct possibility that her Glasto fee is taxed in the UK not in Russia. Although i am no tax expert and may have this horribly wrong. 

18 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

You're missing the point.

If she is Pro-Russian state, Pro-Putin and whatever else goes with that, imo she shouldn't be given a platform at Glastonbury because it's in direct contradiction with the festivals ethos.

It's like saying it's fine to have Jars Bolsonaro on the Other Stage when you've got David Attenborough speaking at the Pyramid.

So what? As long as she isn't out in public speaking about support for invading Ukraine then her views shouldn't come into it at all. 

7 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I guarantee you half of UK artists are not Tories. I actually think if we were to ban artists who support Boris Johnson you wouldn't find it would change that much at all. 

Guaranteed based on what? There's a very large amount of successful artists come from the middle and upper classes...they are hardly going to have voted for Jeremy Corbyn are they? 

Boris might not be their favourite type of person in the world but a lot would still support him in a vote.

1 minute ago, Mark_safc said:

Guaranteed based on what? There's a very large amount of successful artists come from the middle and upper classes...they are hardly going to have voted for Jeremy Corbyn are they? 

Boris might not be their favourite type of person in the world but a lot would still support him in a vote.

Fine please find me just 10 UK acts on the line up who have posted anything that could be construed in any way to be Pro Boris Johnson. 

There are a lot of interesting points made on this thread, but one that doesn't seem to have been made is that her only public statement that I have seen relating to the war was a neat little tick tock where she wrote out the word "Peace" in Russian. 

So, historically she has praised Putin, but on the war in Ukraine, she has made one simple statement, that is clearly anti war if not anti Putin. 

I have never heard of her, so i wont be going to see her, but i think it is worth pointing out to all her detractors that they don't have any evidence of her being pro war and so to paint her as such is disingenuous. 

35 minutes ago, Mark_safc said:

Yes haha.

Just now, SouthbanKen said:

There are a lot of interesting points made on this thread, but one that doesn't seem to have been made is that her only public statement that I have seen relating to the war was a neat little tick tock where she wrote out the word "Peace" in Russian. 

So, historically she has praised Putin, but on the war in Ukraine, she has made one simple statement, that is clearly anti war if not anti Putin. 

I have never heard of her, so i wont be going to see her, but i think it is worth pointing out to all her detractors that they don't have any evidence of her being pro war and so to paint her as such is disingenuous. 

Roman Abramovich has been involved in peace talks and yet we have still quite rightly sanctioned him. She mostly works in Europe and it would be career suicide to post anything else at the moment. 

5 minutes ago, Mark_safc said:

Yes.

This may be a shock to you, but it's not compulsory to vote in your own self interest. I voted Corbyn even though I'd have personally been less well off if he got in.

To take your logic to its conclusion, Corbyn should have won by a landslide as the working class are hardly going to vote for Johnson, are they?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, SouthbanKen said:

Sure she will pay tax, but afaik, if you earn a lot of money in different countries, then generally you pay that money in those countries. Sports people will pay tax on prize money in the country where they won the money (unless there are double taxation agreements between the host and their home nation). So there is a distinct possibility that her Glasto fee is taxed in the UK not in Russia. Although i am no tax expert and may have this horribly wrong. 

Not sure that’s how it works? Surely you’d be domiciled in one country and all your overseas income would be converted into your native currency and then taxed as income there? 

18 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Damn, was hoping for an ease up on the clashes that will happen. Oh well

3 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Roman Abramovich has been involved in peace talks and yet we have still quite rightly sanctioned him. She mostly works in Europe and it would be career suicide to post anything else at the moment. 

That might be true, my point is more that she is being painted as pro war and there is literally no evidence that this is the case. 

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Not sure that’s how it works? Surely you’d be domiciled in one country and all your overseas income would be converted into your native currency and then taxed as income there? 

Like i said i may be very wrong, but i recall various F1 drivers who get lambasted for living in Moncao stating that whilst a lot of their sponsorship revenue goes via the zero tax Moncao, their wages get taxed in the nation of their employer and their winnings from races get taxed in the local country.   

6 minutes ago, SouthbanKen said:

don't have any evidence of her being pro war and so to paint her as such is disingenuous. 

I think in that video there's a comment from a Ukrainian DJ who claims she said Putin was "the smartest man" in response to the annexation of Crimea. So if that's true, there's that.

2 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

I think in that video there's a comment from a Ukrainian DJ who claims she said Putin was "the smartest man" in response to the annexation of Crimea. So if that's true, there's that.

If true, there is that, but given that the entire western world looked on at the annexation of Crimea and shrugged their collective shoulders and continued to buy billions of dollars worth of Russian oil and gas, support Russians in sports washing and generally did fuck all, I'm not sure anyone has a leg to stand on in their criticism of a Russian being pro Putin prior to this invasion of Ukraine. 

4 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

If Amber Heard's lawyer was on this forum (and we don't know for certain that they are not) they would say: 'Hearsay!'

• Like 1