Record Store Day

NoBuses

4 minutes ago, Mardy said:

RSD here a dead duck. Thriving little record shop/bar, always busy and full. But RSD not a goer, Shop opened at 08.30, I wandered past at 9ish, absolutely nobody in there. Truth is, if you've got a thriving, good business, you don;'t really need it and your regular customers don't really care either way. Can see them not bothering next year.

Local record store to me has binned it off this year. Not sure if he’s in the minority or part of a growing a number to do likewise?

7 minutes ago, Mardy said:

RSD here a dead duck. Thriving little record shop/bar, always busy and full. But RSD not a goer, Shop opened at 08.30, I wandered past at 9ish, absolutely nobody in there. Truth is, if you've got a thriving, good business, you don;'t really need it and your regular customers don't really care either way. Can see them not bothering next year.

Probably no hard and fast rules, I reckon. Assai in Edinburgh and Monorail in Glasgow are probably he most successful shops in their respective cities, yet both are enthusiastic RSD participants.

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Local record store to me has binned it off this year. Not sure if he’s in the minority or part of a growing a number to do likewise?

Yep my favourite record store seems to have stopped it as well. They seem designed to well not let you browse record stores. All this one in one out, having a list etc is very much not what record stores should be. 

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Probably no hard and fast rules, I reckon. Assai in Edinburgh and Monorail in Glasgow are probably he most successful shops in their respective cities, yet both are enthusiastic RSD participants.

To be honest I think the really successful shops like it because it's good for social media etc. My nearest store Piccadilly Records were tweeting at 4pm yesterday that nobody was queueing yet which is exactly why I don't bother. 

That Swift will plummet in price in a few weeks. pretty much everyone I know who wanted one has got one. Was a 15,000 run, I think. Which for a 7" is ludicrous. I think there will be, if not a glut of them, pretty much enough to shore most people who go down today will be able to get one.

There's nothing I want this year but last couple of times I've bought them when the shops open up the online sales later. Yes I have to pay postage but that's still cheaper than getting to and parking in Liverpool. 

Loads of stuff went on sale at reduced prices a month or so later on aswell. 

6 hours ago, GeezLouise said:

I hope everyone got what they wanted, I got my little Taylor Swift vinyl that nearly made me weep in the record shop. 

I would blame the sleep deprivation but the reality is I'm a massive loser. 

I initially went to Sister Ray in Berwick Street in London and the queue was about 100(?) people deep at 8.30.  But right next door was Phonica records which only had 10 people queueing. Logically I understand that Sister Ray must have had more sought after stuff and more stock but seeing the two queues side by side was really strange. 

Thank you for inadvertently answering something I was wondering at about that time as I hurtled underneath towards Rough Trade East. I was wondering what the state of the queues would be like at those two stores. I think you’re right in terms of how much each of them stock. Both excellent stores!

Got to Rough Trade around 8:30 and it was about a 2 hour wait (yaaaayyy…). Miraculously got 300% of what I wanted. Got Jon Hopkins and then they still had Frightened Rabbit and while I said no when looking through the lists that I wouldn’t as they were silly expensive. I panicked. Fairly pleased though as recently managed to get Midnight Organ Fight which is damn near impossible to get so a full collection is now feasible.

Ms Beaver was shocked to get all she wanted too - Taylor, Blondie and mxmtoon. Successful (if expensive) day all round. With a nice lunch out afterwards and the threat of the team-strip tent (black and fresh) from Decathlon, the credit card is having a sulk 😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

Seems like Swifty is still in stock in a bunch of places so fingers crossed it makes it online next week. 

I hope so! This was the only one I really wanted this year, but given people started queueing at my local from yesterday afternoon, I wasn't feeling like trying my luck this morning.

Whatever helps keeping record shops open and artists and labels in business is a good thing of course, but I have never been a format junkie. I stream very little and buy a lot of physical music (CDs, they are cheaper), but I have never understood the limited edition appeal. Does something sound better because of the knowledge that only -x- other people own it on a particular format?!

On 4/23/2022 at 5:38 PM, Beaver89 said:

Got to Rough Trade around 8:30 and it was about a 2 hour wait (yaaaayyy…).

Was planning on queuing at Flashback Records in Islington for The Maccabees, but it got pushed back to mid June. 

Based off what I read I should probably start queuing now otherwise I am buying it on Discogs for £200+...

11 minutes ago, Watergirl said:

Does something sound better because of the knowledge that only -x- other people own it on a particular format?!

Nah but it is nicer to have something other than the standard black wax. Always nice when you go to put something on and pull out a pretty vinyl. This SVE one I have is a beaut. Makes no different to me how many there are in the world! 

1A430263-A447-41B1-97A5-DE9EC152864E.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Nah but it is nicer to have something other than the standard black wax. Always nice when you go to put something on and pull out a pretty vinyl. This SVE one I have is a beaut. Makes no different to me how many there are in the world! 

1A430263-A447-41B1-97A5-DE9EC152864E.jpeg

Yes I do just have a thing for coloured vinyl. I put it down to the very first coloured vinyl I ever saw which was a green vinyl version of bright eyes by Art Garfunkel. I was mesmerised with it in amongst the sea of black vinyl. 

5 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

That is pretty alright.

I know this is not music related but the world of the collector throws up some odd scenarios and value where it does not make sense anywhere else.

A chap on Antiques Roadshow last night had the plate off a steam loco which had featured in Harry Potter (I think) as I only saw the tale end of the article.

The expert explained that the plate would be probably be worth several hundred quid in line with the market  for said items.  If it had been the replica plate that was actually used in the film scenes then it would have been worth several thousand.  I ain't sure what point I am trying to make here other than..... Ehhhhh??

5 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

I know this is not music related but the world of the collector throws up some odd scenarios and value where it does not make sense anywhere else.

A chap on Antiques Roadshow last night had the plate off a steam loco which had featured in Harry Potter (I think) as I only saw the tale end of the article.

The expert explained that the plate would be probably be worth several hundred quid in line with the market  for said items.  If it had been the replica plate that was actually used in the film scenes then it would have been worth several thousand.  I ain't sure what point I am trying to make here other than..... Ehhhhh??

Assume that's just because if the actors touched it in the scene it's deemed more valuable a bit like John Lennon's guitar would sell for more even if it was a crappy bit of junk guitar because it was used by John Lennon. 

8 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

Its called provenance, the replica will have history of being in the actual film, so worth more to people who collect memorobilia.

same with cars, a Ford Mondeo with 150k mile on it is worth about £600. Same car once owned by say, JK Rowling, worth tons more.

6 hours ago, Watergirl said:

Whatever helps keeping record shops open and artists and labels in business is a good thing of course, but I have never been a format junkie. I stream very little and buy a lot of physical music (CDs, they are cheaper), but I have never understood the limited edition appeal. Does something sound better because of the knowledge that only -x- other people own it on a particular format?!

Some people like to collect things some people don't

Some people like to run marathons Some people don't

Etc etc

As for actual RSD, I managed to get the four things I was interested in 🙂

image.thumb.png.d897f01ee57f38475385b59fd25924e2.png

Fragma, just because, been years since I've heard the album. Prodigy because its got some amazing remixes on it (Shut Em Up being a fave) Primal Scream becase Weatherall was a god amongst remixers. And Jesus Jones because I love Jesus Jones 🙂