Record Store Day

NoBuses

It's all gone a bit shit, hasn't it? Not sure what the point is if loads of the stuff isn't yet available or is repressings of stuff no-one bought first time around.

A few that I bought last time around are now amongst my most valuable records but that's not why I but albums 

Seriously don't understand the negativity towards it. RSD has been a massive shot in the arm to independent record shops. The owner of my local indie reckons they'd struggle to survive without it. 

If you don't want to queue up early, fair enough, but don't whine when you can't get the records you want online without paying over the odds!

I'll be in the queue about an hour before opening time as I usually do. It's no great hardship getting up an hour earlier than usual one day a year and I usually still manage to get 90% of what I want.

Good luck everyone! May tactical queuing and other people's terrible taste let the records fall in your favour.

I'm only after one record (as mentioned earlier) but not overly hopeful. As it happens I think once we're done we'll be heading to Decathlon to look at some tents that are rather popular on these boards. Hope they have some set up!

7 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Seriously don't understand the negativity towards it. RSD has been a massive shot in the arm to independent record shops. The owner of my local indie reckons they'd struggle to survive without it. 

Funny spoke to mine who stopped doing it as he said it favoured the bigger rough trade type chains as the small shops don't get what they ask for anymore and are lumbered. 

There's copies of Taylor Swift on discogs for £80. It will eventually level out a lot lower once the initial excitement dies down.

Pictures of people buying a Rick Astley re release which you can get an original of for £0.68 on discogs is what this day is all about.

Some guy near me got his whole family, including young kids, up at 5am to go and queue. People are very strange. 

Maybe if people supported their local record shops by buying more records all year round there wouldn't be such a need for RSD. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

There’s already at least 20 copies of that Blur album on there.

Plenty on discogs from about £30 and loads more will be on sale later as the day goes on.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/22978370?ev=rb

Why people would buy records from eBay is beyond me. Prices are silly on there.

I hope everyone got what they wanted, I got my little Taylor Swift vinyl that nearly made me weep in the record shop. 

I would blame the sleep deprivation but the reality is I'm a massive loser. 

I initially went to Sister Ray in Berwick Street in London and the queue was about 100(?) people deep at 8.30.  But right next door was Phonica records which only had 10 people queueing. Logically I understand that Sister Ray must have had more sought after stuff and more stock but seeing the two queues side by side was really strange. 

Edited by GeezLouise
  • Upvote 1

RSD here a dead duck. Thriving little record shop/bar, always busy and full. But RSD not a goer, Shop opened at 08.30, I wandered past at 9ish, absolutely nobody in there. Truth is, if you've got a thriving, good business, you don;'t really need it and your regular customers don't really care either way. Can see them not bothering next year.