The one you wish you'd been at...

am00

2007 for me! 

Sorry if this has been done before but radio 1 played some tracks from the Arctic Monkeys set that year and it made me think that was the one I'm raging I missed the most ! Also Amy Winehouse. 

I think it was an awful year weather wise...but I survived 2016? 

Anyone else? 

Edited by am00

4 minutes ago, am00 said:

2007 for me! 

Sorry if this has been done before but radio 1 played some tracks from the Arctic Monkeys set that year and it made me think that was the one I'm raging I missed the most ! Also Amy Winehouse. 

I think it was an awful year weather wise...but I survived 2016? 

Anyone else? 

2016 was a piece of piss compared to 2007 FWIW. 

2004! Was a huge Muse fan back in the Absolution era and they played an absolute blinder that night. That set is what got me into Glastonbury from the other side of the world.

Also, McCartney!! The perfect two headliners at that point in time from my view (I would have been somewhere else for Oasis).

Edited by Mark H

2017 and 2019 to fill my streak. 2017 in particular as had been waiting for Foos to finally get there (I have a t-shirt with their name on!) and to see Radiohead on the stage they have such history with.

2000 would have been good because Bowie and Chems and last pre-fence festival but it sounds like it got a bit sketchy and I'm not sure 10/11 year old me would have liked it that much! I think experiencing a pre-fence fest would have been good.

I also wonder what the first couple of fests were like. I started reading the book the other night (couldn't bring myself to since it came out due to lack of tickets). Wasn't even alive though so it's moot.

Having started in 2008 I'm sort of glad I dodged the 2007 bullet so to speak. It was the fest that made me want to finally go though. I watched literally all of it on TV. I think it was the Kasabian set of all things that sold it for me - how times change! On wet years I have 2011 and 2016 under my belt though so thats something.

3 minutes ago, Mark H said:

The perfect two headliners at that point in time from my view (I would have been somewhere else for Oasis).

That's the thing, the lineups look totally different retrospectively I guess. 

6 minutes ago, am00 said:

Hmmm maybe I'm being naive then. 

Or maybe that post belongs in the controversial opinions thread? 

2016 wasn't even as bad as 2011. A mate was at 2007 as well and he has said it was the worst he had seen. (Was his first year - aware 2005 was also vile)

• Like 1

1994. I was going to go with a mate but we dithered too long about getting tickets and it eventually sold out before we got our act in order. Don't think the headliners were all that in '94 (*checks notes - Levellers, Elvis Costello and Peter Gabriel) but also on El Pointo were rage, Nick Cave and the mighty Johnny Cash, whilst The Manics, Beastie Boys, Bjork, Orbital, Blur, Radiohead, Pulp and Oasis were all on the NME (Other) Stage. 

We ended up going to the Phoenix Festival to witness The Wonderstuff, Carter USM, Weller, Ned's Atomic Dustbin et al.

13 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Nobody wishes they were at 2007.

I still wish I wasn’t there.

12 minutes ago, Beaver89 said:

2016 wasn't even as bad as 2011. A mate was at 2007 as well and he has said it was the worst he had seen. (Was his first year - aware 2005 was also vile)

2005 wasn't bad, apart from the apocalypse morning. Of course if you were in the blast zone, it was awful. 2007 however was the pits. Interested to see what the 97/98 crowd think if they went to 2007 this year. 25th anniversary of 97 and 15th anniversary of 2007... 

32 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Nobody wishes they were at 2007.

I still wish I wasn’t there.

I still had a great time but I think I had blocked out the really difficult parts, when you really think on that year it was fucking hard at times.