2023 legend slot

ProperTea

8 hours ago, Neil said:

the production on 'tea for the tillerman' is outstanding! if you don't know it intimately you've missed out.

I’m going to listen to it today if I get a chance. It’s funny how you can be so in to music and miss some of the big names from the past…Cat is a perfect example, Bob Dylan another…they just never penetrated in the way others did. 

My intro to Cat Stevens was noticing he had a writing credit on a Flaming Lips song ('Fight Test' interpolates the melody from 'Father and Son') and then realising my parents liked to sing some of his songs when I was younger.

I'd probably echo the "Legend but not Legend Slot" sentiment. Not a huge fan but barring a big clash, I'd love to see him.

fwiw I think 'Wild World' has decent enough song recognition with a younger crowd, but doubt that extends to the rest of his catalog.

26 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

Not a chance he’s filling the field like Dolly Parton. He’s a great booking and I’ll be there but Cat Stevens isn’t even in the same ball park as Dolly in terms of appeal or fame.

But then neither was Kenny Rogers. The legend slot has gotten out of control the last few years so I would be quite happy to see it get back to normal levels. 

17 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

The legend slot has gotten out of control the last few years so I would be quite happy to see it get back to normal levels. 

Booking Cat Stevens aside, I struggle with this line of thinking.  How is it out of control?  Too many people are having fun and it must be stopped?

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Booking Cat Stevens aside, I struggle with this line of thinking.  How is it out of control?  Too many people are having fun and it must be stopped?

I think it's more that it's raised an expectation of always needing to book mega huge artists. But there are only so many of them.

The fact that Emily named checked as Cat/Yusef as someone they want as a legend shows they’re not just aiming for the same old every single year.  He’s got enough songs that people know and maintains the legend slot is for… legends.

For me he’ll fit in the Kenny Rodgers, ELO fold rather than the DiRo/Kylie absolute monster crowds. 

Personally think it’s good that it’s been taking down a level if I’m honest as them crowds were horrible 

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Saying it'll be similar to Kenny or ELO is saying it'll be one of the less successful bookings.

Nope it’s saying it’ll be a smaller crowd.  Expectation is they’ll have Someone every year that basically brings the stage to a standstill.  It’s really not the case 

7 minutes ago, sisco said:

Nope it’s saying it’ll be a smaller crowd.  Expectation is they’ll have Someone every year that basically brings the stage to a standstill.  It’s really not the case 

That only really became a thing with Dolly and Lionel. Being able to get near the front easily for ELO rather than being in a different Postcode to Kylie or Diana wasn’t unpleasant at all

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

That only really became a thing with Dolly and Lionel. Being able to get near the front easily for ELO rather than being in a different Postcode to Kylie or Diana wasn’t unpleasant at all

on the kylie and dolly basis, doro scores low, nowhere near the same numbers, could walk away from the pyramid without it being blocked.

3 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Although weirdly I reckon if either of those two played again now (if JC was still about 🙃) they’d get a much bigger crowd.

Differnt crowd, different time. 

cash would not get a bigger crowd than cat stephens