2023 legend slot

ProperTea

*copiously boos Bohemian Rhapsody*

But in the interest of fairness, if Michael and Brian were to bury the long-standing hatchet.

Now I'm Here
Hammer to Fall
Don't Stop Me Now
Somebody to Love
Another One Bites the Dust
I Want It All
Love of My Life
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Under Pressure
I Want to Break Free
Who Wants to Live Forever
Tie Your Mother Down
Radio Ga Ga
Bohemian Rhapsody
We Will Rock You
We Are the Champions

2 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

*copiously boos Bohemian Rhapsody*

But in the interest of fairness, if Michael and Brian were to bury the long-standing hatchet.

Now I'm Here
Hammer to Fall
Don't Stop Me Now
Somebody to Love
Another One Bites the Dust
I Want It All
Love of My Life
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Under Pressure
I Want to Break Free
Who Wants to Live Forever
Tie Your Mother Down
Radio Ga Ga
Bohemian Rhapsody
We Will Rock You
We Are the Champions

Final two songs would be cringey as hell but Bohemian Rhapsody on the Pyramid would be astonishing. 

Just now, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Final two songs would be cringey as hell but Bohemian Rhapsody on the Pyramid would be astonishing. 

Cringe or not, the singalong would be huge.

Even if a hatchet was to be buried though, could we conceivably see them even accepting a Legends tender?

34 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Hasn’t stopped them from removing it from their setlists, though. They’ve got enough tunes to fill a setlist without it. I’m sure they feel it’s just not worth the grief that will almost undoubtedly come with them playing it. 

Sadly yes

Same with the Stones and Brown Sugar. Ridiculous both feel the need to leave them out imo. 

Just now, The Nal said:

Sadly yes

Same with the Stones and Brown Sugar. Ridiculous both feel the need to leave them out imo. 

Brown Sugar is possibly my favourite Stones song but by d@bbing it down they've created a slot for a wildcard entry, which for me is far more interesting. Gutted to be missing Out Of Time and 19th Nervous Breakdown at the moment.

On 6/30/2022 at 9:50 AM, sadimmock said:

I think it’s more Hope than expectation. Spice Girls really would mark the final transition to “Basic Fest”. You might as well add a Nando’s stall and somewhere to collect H&M orders. Perhaps screen the latest Top Gear in the Pilton Palais… 

Sorry to shatter your hopes, but I've heard of people being approached to assist with a Spice Girls set at Glastonbury.

Personally, I think Gary Numan is the man for job.

Absolutely amazed that anyone could seriously suggest Cliff Richard - presumably it's because they're looking at record / ticket sales over the years and judging purely on that and not considering whether he'd actually be any good.

Go watch some live videos of his from the last 15 years. I've seen enough, my mum always has them on. He's a terrible performer these days and other than Summer Holiday and The Young Ones, I don't think his material has really carried into popular consciousness. Here's a setlist from his most recent tour - the 4 best known songs of the night shoved into a medley, and the rest is outright grim.

I'll predict outright that if it ever happens (and I'll be taking names to blame all of you if it does) then it'd be the biggest flop that slot has seen, by some distance - Imagine everything that people complained about with the ELO and Paul Simon performances, amplify it, and throw in a significantly worse setlist than either managed.

That's without even considering the BBC friction which hopefully would mean he'd say no even if the festival ever became crazy/desperate enough to ask him.

1 minute ago, Longdrop Bum Grapes said:

Isn’t Sting an obvious possibility for a legend slot? Got some history, still touring and a load of Police classics to throw into the mix?

Yeah. But its a matter of him saying yes. He also would prob do a few more Police songs in that kind of set I figure. So 70/30 Police to solo stuff.

47 minutes ago, Splonk said:

Sorry to shatter your hopes, but I've heard of people being approached to assist with a Spice Girls set at Glastonbury.

Personally, I think Gary Numan is the man for job.

Gary Numan is definitely the man for the job to assist with a Spice Girls set.

Get him to give a few of their tunes a tasty makeover and end with a big Cars singalong.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, incident said:

Absolutely amazed that anyone could seriously suggest Cliff Richard - presumably it's because they're looking at record / ticket sales over the years and judging purely on that and not considering whether he'd actually be any good.

Go watch some live videos of his from the last 15 years. I've seen enough, my mum always has them on. He's a terrible performer these days and other than Summer Holiday and The Young Ones, I don't think his material has really carried into popular consciousness. Here's a setlist from his most recent tour - the 4 best known songs of the night shoved into a medley, and the rest is outright grim.

I'll predict outright that if it ever happens (and I'll be taking names to blame all of you if it does) then it'd be the biggest flop that slot has seen, by some distance - Imagine everything that people complained about with the ELO and Paul Simon performances, amplify it, and throw in a significantly worse setlist than either managed.

That's without even considering the BBC friction which hopefully would mean he'd say no even if the festival ever became crazy/desperate enough to ask him.

I saw him once, at Knebworth (of all places) in 1990 on a bill that also included Macca, Pink Floyd etc. He did his set with The Shadows, and it was very entertaining. That setlist you posted has a lot of filler; keep it to the hits, and wheel on Hank and the lads for the early hits and it’d be great.

Just now, henry bear said:

I saw him once, at Knebworth (of all places) in 1990 on a bill that also included Macca, Pink Floyd etc. He did his set with The Shadows, and it was very entertaining. That setlist you posted has a lot of filler; keep it to the hits, and wheel on Hank and the lads for the early hits and it’d be great.

Sorry, but there's no possible scenario it'd be great. He's just not capable at this point, no matter who he has to help and even if he stretched out those few well known songs as much as possible.

If you could find a time machine and bring in the Cliff that you saw 32 years ago, then I wouldn't be nearly as against it. As I said, go watch some recent videos, it's embarrassing and would see the field empty faster than even Gorillaz managed.

I think this was probably the last year we have the teatime legend slot, there just aren't many more to choose from now who wouldn't still be headliners (Elton, Madge, Joel, Gilmour, Waters, Queen, etc. ) the legend slot hasbeen feeding on 60s and 70s legends for the last 20 years (Cash, Wilson, Dolly, Jones, Ross, Rich Tea, Glynn, etc) , they have all been from the same era. I think the teatime slot will move on a decade or so, and have to start looking at the 80s/90s now, it has to, its been looking at the 60s and 70s for the last 20 or so festivals. 

I don't think you will get the mega crowds of the Dolly years again, but it will still be a great singalong with the 80s and 90s 'legends', Spice Girl's, Duran Duran, Numan, Tears for Fears, ABC, Human League, OMD, etc) Few of these would be deemed legends like the acts we have had before but that is how the music scene changed from the 70s onwards, it beacame very single song/Top of the Pops based, little longevity, it's going to look very different from now on I think, but we now have to move on from the 60s and 70s.