2023 legend slot

ProperTea

Isn't the legends slot just boosting the ego of acts who wouldn't normally play so low down/small fee so the fest gets acts it wouldn't normally. 

Lots of names being thrown about already have played normal Pyramid slots. 

Don't think it would be the worse thing to retire the slot for a bit than shoehorn someone in for the sake of it

The way I kind of see the Legends slot, particularly by the way it has been billed a few times in recent years, is that is effectively a fourth headliner - but very much for an artist either past the peak of their commercial powers or without the necessary presence to pull off topping the bill on the night itself.

There is some crossover for suggestion, it must be said. Up until he arrived for Farewell Yellow Brick Road, would have argued Elton John would have filled it.

There’s a few 80s acts who could do a great Legends slot. Tears for Fears have a few hits and Duran Duran could slay it. Problem there is they’re still releasing stuff and I think still see themselves as going concerns rather than having got to the ‘touring the hits round the nostalgia circuit’ stage.

15 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Do Blondie count as 70s? They haven’t officially done the Legends Slot although obvs have played separately to that. 

They opened the Other Stage a few years back and it wasn't the best. It needs to be a band still performing like they were 30 or 40 years ago, the bands I mentioned are still performing like they were then in my opinion

8 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

There’s a few 80s acts who could do a great Legends slot. Tears for Fears have a few hits and Duran Duran could slay it. Problem there is they’re still releasing stuff and I think still see themselves as going concerns rather than having got to the ‘touring the hits round the nostalgia circuit’ stage.

... I know what you mean, I wonder if they could try a medley of 80s bands, like the Let's Rock concerts, 3 or 4 songs from each, like the Rewind or Let's Rock festivals.  It would boost all their careers reliving the 80s and would be a great singalong. Duran Duran would be good as they could do the slot in their own, Human League could as well i think. We do need to lower our expectations of the legend slot now though, there aren't many options left which fit the bill of the last 20 years performers

1 hour ago, incident said:

Sorry, but there's no possible scenario it'd be great. He's just not capable at this point, no matter who he has to help and even if he stretched out those few well known songs as much as possible.

If you could find a time machine and bring in the Cliff that you saw 32 years ago, then I wouldn't be nearly as against it. As I said, go watch some recent videos, it's embarrassing and would see the field empty faster than even Gorillaz managed.

I’ve just watched some recent clips, expecting the worst. Either he’s miming or his voice is in fine working order. That said, I’m not sure he’d pack the field the way Dolly or Diana did. Manilow or Cher next please!

Duran Duran, given they are BST headliners, do seem a decent shout. They must know - well, they might not - that they don't have a hope in hell of topping the Pyramid.

But let them loose with fifteen certified bangers and it's a champion time. (Just need to make sure they are the bangers. They like their new stuff a little too much, perhaps. We'll blame Radio 2.)

The Wild Boys
Hungry Like the Wolf
A View to a Kill
Union of the Snake
Come Undone
Notorious
Is There Something I Should Know?
Reach Up (For the Sunrise)
I Don't Want Your Love
Ordinary World
Planet Earth
The Reflex
Girls on Film
Save a Prayer
Rio

This is a bit off-kilter from previous legends but I reckon the Sugar Hill Gang, Furious 5 & Grandmaster Melle Mel. At the very least, they should have a slot somewhere on the Pyramid.

They are the pioneering Grandaddy's of hip hop. They play all the crowd-pleasing hits (and more), interact a lot and totally bring the party atmosphere. They work hard, really enjoy what they do and have still got it.

1 hour ago, dingbat2 said:

Perhaps Chic now move to that slot?

I think the legend slot should preferably not be an act that headlines medium festivals every year across the country. Would be like PSB doing it.

19 minutes ago, Glastoboy said:

This is a bit off-kilter from previous legends but I reckon the Sugar Hill Gang, Furious 5 & Grandmaster Melle Mel. At the very least, they should have a slot somewhere on the Pyramid.

They are the pioneering Grandaddy's of hip hop. They play all the crowd-pleasing hits (and more), interact a lot and totally bring the party atmosphere. They work hard, really enjoy what they do and have still got it.

This would be great, especially as it looks like there won't be a rap headliner so nice balancing act

Bear in mind the legend slot should be for someone that will attract Pyramid field full of people wanting to see a living legend that has an 85 minutes of bangers that everyone will, ideally, want to sing along with. There’s deffo a place for the likes of Grandmaster Melle Mel at Glasto, but that slot ain’t it. And I saw Gary Numan’s name earlier. He’s not going to get 100k of people singing along to Industrial metal versions of Down In The Park and She’s Got Claws

5 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

He’s certainly a legend. Whether he has the bangers to carry off that slot is debatable but I’d be there clashes permitting. 

That he is. But I'm not sure he'd be the right fit for the image of a fun, bubbly, sunny Legends Slot people (the BBC) would want.

If he headlined the Other vs Swift, I'd def be there for him.