2023 legend slot

ProperTea

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

It may feel off to some people, but it's still 3 huge headliners and someone who's an ideal fit for the Legend Slot.

Yeah, Individually they're all solid worthy bookings. But as a four it gets a big eyebrow raise from me if I am being honest. Can't escape the fact that the majority are old white guys plus some middle aged white guys..

Personally we all here know the festival wil have a great diversity of bookings across all stages and headline slots, but the press and other people focus first and foremost on the headliners. Emily is going to get some serious stick for it I bet.

29 minutes ago, FrancisH said:

Allow me to be the first to suggest GnR for legend slot.

Seriously though, whenever I see a top four of Elton, GnR, AM and Rod written down it scans so badly, feels way off the mark to me.

I’ve been banging that drum for months and it does not go down well. Let’s form an alliance! 

Edit: oh, you were joking but we’ll see who has the last laugh! 

Edited by GeezLouise
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, FrancisH said:

Yeah, Individually they're all solid worthy bookings. But as a four it gets a big eyebrow raise from me if I am being honest. Can't escape the fact that the majority are old white guys plus some middle aged white guys..

Personally we all here know the festival wil have a great diversity of bookings across all stages and headline slots, but the press and other people focus first and foremost on the headliners. Emily is going to get some serious stick for it I bet.

Progress doesn't happen in a smooth straight line.  As a ticket holder I'm all in favour of diversifying the line up to the utmost, but not at the expense of value for money.

• Upvote 1

The four names also seems off to me, albeit I’m personally quite happy with three of them. But the fact three of the four from the top line of the poster appeals to a  59 year old and are from my era is a bit of a concern. For clarity, I’m not an AM fan, so will definitely be elsewhere for them.

Honestly, I get people's issue with having an all male top-line. What I'd like to see though (and what I assume will happen) will be a push to book loads of young, female artists across the weekend. Look at who's touring around the festival - piri, Pinkpantheress, Eliza Rose, Raye, Self Esteem, Little Simz, Nia Archives, FLO, Charlotte Plank, Arlo Parks, Shygirl, Romy, Nova Twins. There's so many young, female artists (especially in the UK and Ireland) that are making amazing music and are on the up.

Giving younger artists a chance to step up and promoting them, will be much better for women in the music industry than making the corny sunday afternoon slot have Bonnie Raitt over Rod Stewart IMO.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Progress doesn't happen in a smooth straight line.  As a ticket holder I'm all in favour of diversifying the line up to the utmost, but not at the expense of value for money.

I guess this is what it comes down to.  If priority is to get big, headline worthy acts and if possible acts that have not played the festival before then box ticked.  If within that brief you can get equality and variety, even better, but that just won't be possible every year.

Just now, Alex DeLarge said:

Honestly, I get people's issue with having an all male top-line. What I'd like to see though (and what I assume will happen) will be a push to book loads of young, female artists across the weekend. Look at who's touring around the festival - piri, Pinkpantheress, Eliza Rose, Raye, Self Esteem, Little Simz, Nia Archives, FLO, Charlotte Plank, Arlo Parks, Shygirl, Romy, Nova Twins. There's so many young, female artists (especially in the UK and Ireland) that are making amazing music and are on the up.

Giving younger artists a chance to step up and promoting them, will be much better for women in the music industry than making the corny sunday afternoon slot have Bonnie Raitt over Rod Stewart IMO.

Yip.

Last year was great for this. and hopefully 2023 will be just as strong in that aspect.

(Albeit a number of your suggestions did play last year)

38 minutes ago, FrancisH said:

Allow me to be the first to suggest GnR for legend slot.

Seriously though, whenever I see a top four of Elton, GnR, AM and Rod written down it scans so badly, feels way off the mark to me.

Was a while back but didn't somebody say they had solid info the legend slot was an act that will not go down well with the usual legend slot crowd? GnR would fit that bill...

5 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Yeah totally agree - my perspective is that we as Glasto goers know how good the rest of the lineup is so it's fine.

Just fear a bit for Emily and the festival if that is the top 4. People who don't go / the press are way less understanding that us lot.

4 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

For me the issue is that not just that it’s an all male top line, it’s that gnr are taking that top spot away from a newer artist. Being all male doesn’t help matters either.

The headliners tend to be 1) heritage, 2) established, 3) up and comer. 

anyway, that’s why gnr are legends slot. 

I get sick of saying this but the festival can only book who is available and willing to take the gig.

Taylor, Beyoncé, Madonna, Pink, etc are all for one reason or another unavailable.

People seem to think Emily can just pull a headline sized female act out of her backside at a minute’s notice.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I get sick of saying this but the festival can only book who is available and willing to take the gig.

Taylor, Beyoncé, Madonna, Pink, etc are all for one reason or another unavailable.

People seem to think Emily can just pull a headline sized female act out of her backside at a minute’s notice.

Lizzo is headlining festivals alongside Foo Fighters and Kendrick. 

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Hang on, you missed an important factor with your opening line... And who they make an offer to. If they only offer to shit acts they get shit acts. 

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

She’s also not a credible headliner for the biggest festival on earth at the moment.

Well we'll never know will we? IMO she's absolutely ready to step up.

Also back to your main point - there's a huge difference between insisting they book somebody else to improve diversity, and simply saying it's an unfortunate situation to be in and Emily might get some stick for it.

17 minutes ago, GeezLouise said:

For me the issue is that not just that it’s an all male top line, it’s that gnr are taking that top spot away from a newer artist. Being all male doesn’t help matters either.

The headliners tend to be 1) heritage, 2) established, 3) up and comer. 

anyway, that’s why gnr are legends slot. 

Gnr aren't all male